IUP_FB_Editor

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
BasicCoder2

IUP_FB_Editor

Post by BasicCoder2 »

@Cretin Ho
If you have to figure how to set things up anyway, why don't try something new? Too afraid? Why? Is there any dragons? Just have a look at it: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26030

Ok have downloaded it and it looks like a nice editor.
I loaded a fb source file but it would not compile,
Error! The path for the compiler is not specified!
The Tools menu appears not to work?
aurelVZAB

Re: IUP_FB_Editor

Post by aurelVZAB »

from where you download ?
is this open source ?
aurelVZAB

Post by aurelVZAB »

oh frukkk
i see ..damn i forget...it is Vanya iUP editor....aha
well it is ok but not for me ...i use CSED_FB it is less supernatural..he eh
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

[off topic]
@aurelVZAB
Downloaded and extracted the editor CSED_FB.
Loaded a fb source file.

(X) The path to compiler not defined.
You must define the path before processing. No compilation!

Chose Compiler Options and Paths.
Hate making out forms! No simple one line text box to enter the location of fbc compiler. It fails to have the search option [...] so I have to search separately. Entered where the fbc was installed. Clicked ok. Same error, path not defined...
Cretin Ho

Post by Cretin Ho »

BasicCoder2 wrote:(X) The path to compiler not defined.
You must define the path before processing. No compilation!

Chose Compiler Options and Paths.
Hate making out forms! No simple one line text box to enter the location of fbc compiler. It fails to have the search option [...] so I have to search separately. Entered where the fbc was installed. Clicked ok. Same error, path not defined...
The path includes fbc.exe, not the directory contains fbc.exe.
e.g: D:\FreeBasic\bin\fbc.exe, not D:\FreeBasic\bin
Cretin Ho

Post by Cretin Ho »

Cretin Ho wrote:The path includes fbc.exe, not the directory contains fbc.exe.
e.g: D:\FreeBasic\bin\fbc.exe, not D:\FreeBasic\bin
This is true for any of the IDEs I mentioned with you. Too bad, I can't visualize what's really going on on your computer, so my answers sometimes doesn't help. This editor is the simplest among the IDEs I mentioned and has the GUI resembles your FBIDE. I have never had any problems choosing the compiler like you are currently, this indicate that you must did something wrong.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

@Cretin Ho

The CSED_FB works ok now on the old computer I know I needed to include fbc.exe in the actual path name.
The fbnp would not fire up on the old computer due to MSVCR100.dll not being found.
fbnp did however fire up on the new computer but the tools in the menu doesn't work which is where I suspect a path would be set.
Problem is when I mess about too much with settings I end up making it worse. Best an install program do it all for me up front :)
VANYA

Post by VANYA »

BasicCoder2 wrote: The fbnp would not fire up on the old computer due to MSVCR100.dll not being found.
IUP_FB_EDITOR run on Windows XP Sp3.
MSVCR100.dll is part of the package Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package
BasicCoder2 wrote:fbnp did however fire up on the new computer but the tools in the menu doesn't work which is where I suspect a path would be set.
I hope you understand that external tools are installed in the Tools menu. (exetutable files , such as the cmd.exe , notepad.exe , regedit.exe , etc). They are all configurable in the menu: Options (Customizing the Tools menu...)
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

BasicCoder2 wrote:Error! The path for the compiler is not specified!
One of the (many) tests of FreeBasic installations left a path in the registry:

Code: Select all

Let esi=GetRegVal("HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\FreeBASIC","DisplayIcon", "no path found"), CrLf$
  PrintLine "The path: ", Left$(esi, Rinstr(esi, "\")), "fbc.exe"	; Output: The path: C:\FreeBasic\fbc.exe
It would be easy for an IDE to grab it from there.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

@jj2007
One of the (many) tests of FreeBasic installations left a path in the registry:
As I wrote else where I fear persevering with fixing these things, which seems to be a problem with FreeBASIC, is dangerous for anyone who doesn't have the background knowledge of what is taking place behind the scenes. Editing paths in directories isn't something I want to fiddle with even if I ever found out how to do it in this latest incarnation of Windows. I do have memory of such things but thankfully most software installs itself and comes with the ability to uninstall itself, no doubt doing all the cleaning up automatically.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

The last thing you want to do is put fbc.exe on path if you are using an ide in windows.
If the installation .exe puts fbc.exe on path then I would avoid it and use the .zip or .7z.
All the various ides (Except for geany I believe) simply want you to navigate to your fbc.exe path and the path is written in a config file.
In fbide you can change the path anytime you like.
Linux is different, install as root and it is set on path so you can use the terminal in any folder to compile .bas files.
I downloaded IUP_FB_Editor.
It works like a charm.
Easy to set up and use, nice and simple.
Nicely done VANYA.
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

There are several ways to impose the path:
1. don't ask, install FB to the root, i.e. C:\FreeBasic (that is the Masm32 method - old-fashioned but works like a charm)
2. when user opens the IDE the first time, check if the FB installer set the HKLM... registry entry, and if so, set the path to fbc.exe
3. when user opens the IDE the first time, ask him to navigate to fbc.exe; start from ...documents (that is the default, and lazy programmers use the default, knowing very well that fbc.exe cannot be there)
4. when user opens the IDE the first time, don't ask him, but if he tries to build a hello world, spit out a cryptic message
Cretin Ho

Post by Cretin Ho »

dodicat wrote:I downloaded IUP_FB_Editor.
It works like a charm.
Nicely done VANYA.
It worked correctly for me, too. So it must be like what I said above: he must did something wrong. But it seems he preferred to rant first but not trial and error to discover and fix the problems. Others have already give every information he would need but if he continue to fail then he must ask himself why.

BTW, I admit I don't understand what he wrote about. His writings are very difficult for me to visualize to the extent I sometimes I really hoped I could teamview into his machine to see what's exactly going on. Maybe my English needs to be improved.
Last edited by Cretin Ho on Mar 14, 2021 15:08, edited 1 time in total.
VANYA

Post by VANYA »

dodicat wrote: I downloaded IUP_FB_Editor.
It works like a charm.
Nicely done VANYA.
Thank you for your feedback!
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

Cretin Ho wrote:Maybe my English needs to be improved.
I downloaded the archive (https://versaweb.dl.sourceforge.net/pro ... itor64.zip), then...
1. extracted all files to ..\FreeBasic\IUP
2. launched ..\FreeBasic\iup\iup_fb_editor64\fbnp.exe
3. tried to open a source: it shows me the username\Documents folder (obviously, there are no sources)
4. clicked my way through to ..\FreeBasic\examples\console\inkey.bas
5. clicked Build/Compile: "The path to the compiler is not specified!"
6. checking Options, customise the build: no luck
7. checking Options, customise the editor (you never know...): hooray, there is a "path" tab!
8. set compiler path to ...\FreeBasic\fbc.exe
9. Build/Compile: "Make done (18:08:36)" ?????
10. Build/Run shows, finally, the output.

IMHO steps 3 to 9 could be designed in a more user-friendly way. For example,
- on first launch of fbnp.exe (why this cryptic name? Should be editor.exe or IDE.exe or similar), a messagebox should tell the user "Please show me where your compiler (normally ...\FreeBasic\fbc.exe) is located", followed by
- the OpenFile dialog, preset - if possible - to the ...\FreeBasic folder (this is where the registry entry could be helpful)
- based on the fbc.exe path, the IDE might search the ...\FreeBasic\Help folder, and bind the latest FB*.chm file to the F1 key (at present, it simply does nothing, which could be frustrating for a n00b)
- based on the fbc.exe path, the IDE might suggest to open, for example, ...\FreeBasic\examples\console\inkey.bas
- or, alternatively, it could pre-load a two-liner as follows:

Code: Select all

print "Hello World" ' *** hit F5 to build this program ***
Sleep
The Sleep line is important because a n00b will hit F5 and see... nothing, because the IDE doesn't know that the console must be kept open if there is no Sleep command.

My 2 cts.