CSGP : Moon Lander...

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
DrV
Site Admin

Post by DrV »

Cool! Managed to land it once... I have a lead foot and run out of fuel too often. ;)
redcrab

Post by redcrab »

New updates... v 1.1.3

- animation transition (mini cut scene)

you may re-download same URL
http://csgp.suret.net/blabla/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8
Last edited by redcrab on Aug 13, 2007 16:27, edited 1 time in total.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

I think that the most typical mistake people do when playing this sort of games (with acceleration/inertia) is that the hold the movement/accelerate keys. The point is in taping. Just tap and you'll do better.

Edit: Love the changes in the update. Especially the fact I can skip animations. Reached level 8 this time. In what way do the levels get more difficult with advancing in this version?

Few more suggestions. If you are going to implement some mission mode, think about drawing simple but effective backgrounds which appear at the player progresses, like some planet with a moon around it, city towers and stuff like that. Once more, simple to keep the style, but effective. Also, try to compile a level editor. You know, where the player could draw a simple line and the place the landing pod.

Are retro sounds in you "to do" lists?
redcrab

Post by redcrab »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:I think that the most typical mistake people do when playing this sort of games (with acceleration/inertia) is that the hold the movement/accelerate keys. The point is in taping. Just tap and you'll do better.
Do you think Lachie that I have to explain more about how to play the game ...

Currently the game allow one player action a atime (e.g you can t turn while you burst)
Do you think this is ok ?

Currently my best score is 17... but most of player succeed between 0 . 1 and 6 correct landing...
I do not succeed to evaluate how this is playable for a majority ...

you said that inertia and acceleration is not really handy by majority of person... This is a kind of game :S so ... this game is not really handy for a majority of person...

Lachie if you have any suggestions ...
Lachie Dazdarian

Lachie if you have any suggestions ...
Khm...the second part of my post.

As for the gameplay. Well, my suggestion is...when you pack a final version add a readme file and there explain how to play the game. I like the controls so far (inability to turn and burn), but as you see, I seem to be one of the rare who got the hang of the game. Still, I don't think you should pamper the players too much. Perhaps you should start the first levels with small gravitation and increase it slowly. If that is already done, start with even smaller gravitation because levels 1-3 should be more easy.

Erm. Once more. In what way do the levels get more difficult with advancing in this version?
redcrab

Post by redcrab »

... Thanks Lachie for your remark,

Currently ...
the landscape generator is a little bit "chaotic" (the quality result is not predictible... have to change it ...)
normaly the lanscape should be more chaotic and get higher altitude from success landing to another success landing... but currently not always the case :O oops...
in addition
score 0 to 9 is gravity 1
score 10 to19 is gravity multiply by 2
etc... but I did not change the ship burst acceleration ... that may explain why I can do over score 17 ;P

... with this ...can you suggest a more precise progress strategy ... my gamemaster ?
Lachie Dazdarian

Implement a game mode with static (preset terrains), and one with generated terrains. The first mode featuring some 10-20 levels, with different backgrounds and perhaps story.

Levels 1-3 should have smaller gravity, and then slowly grow to your current value of 1 till level 9. With later levels you should give the player more fuel, but increase gravity, terrain difficult, add wind, ground cannons, etc. You can't do much with the current static amount of fuel for all the levels (in the sense of gameplay).
redcrab

Post by redcrab »

Whaoo ! I saved your post in my "best practice" file ...

Thanks Lachie for the great advices... I will try to do my best..

.. I don't know if this game will be part of my CSGP ... just to remind .. Cute Short Game Project...

I quite sure that my "long" is your "short" .... so my "short" is your "tiny" ...

Respect .
thesanman112

hehehe

Post by thesanman112 »

watch the master....where is the download. hehehehe

edit:
darnot!!! im on a new laptop tonight...i just installed it..shoot..anyone wanna buy a laptop? its a P4 toshiba satellite 6100 pro, just restored with factory disks..works groovy...I had to fix the mobo, hehehe if any of you guys need any fixin on hardware of any kind let me know....darn updates, why the frig like 78 updates on the last one i setup.....hehehehehe

freekin microhard gumballs...

edit: is it genuine!!!!!!heheheheh all the factory install's have the same key! hahahahahaha

edit: now i gotta restart.....
h4tt3n

Post by h4tt3n »

This game is getting nicer and nicer!

I didn't realize that you can't thrust and turn at the same time before you mentioned it yourself. I would prefer that you actually could do both at the same time - giving the player the highest degree of artistic freedom - but since the game works very well without it, I don't know...

One thing: I think you should let the ship turn a slight bit faster.
Lachie Dazdarian

Oh, another idea. That is if you didn' think of it before. More complex scoring! After each level, the player should be awared with the remaining amount of fuel turned into points. What do you think about it?
redcrab

Post by redcrab »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Oh, another idea. That is if you didn' think of it before. More complex scoring! After each level, the player should be awared with the remaining amount of fuel turned into points. What do you think about it?
That 's good ... with a "precision landing" bonus in addition

Will be done ASAP !
E.K.Virtanen

Post by E.K.Virtanen »

Very cute remake of cute oldie :)
First landing was crash, after that, all succes.
redcrab

Post by redcrab »

New updates... v 1.2

- code refactoring (partialy code rewritten : gfx sprite)
- New text animation (explosion)
- Score by remaining energy
- updated board gfx (use symbol instead of text)
- Enemies (Energy Sucker)
- Score / High score saving
- Little story / Runtime game comment
- 23 levels , auto generated (until now)

Enjoy !

you may re-download same URL
http://csgp.suret.net/blabla/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8
Last edited by redcrab on Aug 13, 2007 16:28, edited 1 time in total.
Lachie Dazdarian

I like the changes, but don't love them. I'm not sure how much the idea of reducing the gravity in earlier levels works, since with them energy suckers you kinda wish the gravity was higher. Perhaps you should start with a gravity a notch higher (yes, I know I wanted it lower earlier). As I said before, I think a better way to approach the gameplay is by making the landing spot more "tricky" and in the same time giving the player more fuel.

I reached stage 9 out of second try. 567 points. I think. Damn, my memory. For some reason my original score where I reached stage 6 was saved and not this last one. You should double check your code.

There is one serious problem with the engine. When I fly off from one side of the playfield and try to fly in into another side, I very often hit the ground which is higher on the other edge. You should make the terrains, or tell the terrain generator to make terrains, so that the ground is on the same level on the left and right edge.

I like the new animations, but I miss the "!" on "LANDED", and "LANDED" doesn't seem be centered.

I also like the energy suckers, but I just don't think they are well incorporated in the gameplay so far. I think they are introduces too fast, and too much emphasis is put on them in later levels.

Phew, that would be it.

BTW, I want RETRO sound effects! :P