Translation of the manual in French

Forum for discussion about the documentation project.
litzler

Post by litzler »

Hi counting_pine,
I'll read about git and Github.
The git management programs under Linux are they compatible?
As I work on Linux, line endings are <LF>, while on Windows they are <CR> <LF>. Does this can have an influence?
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

Line endings can be a bit of an annoyance. According to what I've read Git servers store text internally with LF but a local repository can convert them to CRLF if a config switch is set.
These links might give you more information:
http://stackoverflow.com/search?q=git+crlf

The commit in my last post had larger diffs than necessary because my code was unwisely emitting CRLF in a Linux environment, and so all the lines with CRLF at the end were marked as changed. I've fixed that now (using dos2unix):
http://github.com/countingpine/fbc/comm ... 1beeb12310

(Note: these large commit pages make my browser very sluggish. If you can "clone" the repository you will get faster results using gitk.)

PS. I'm sorry to push this learning curve on you after all the hard work you've done to translate the docs. I understand if it takes you a while to get the hang of it, or if you would rather not get so involved.
marcov

Post by marcov »

counting_pine wrote:Line endings can be a bit of an annoyance. According to what I've read Git servers store text internally with LF but a local repository can convert them to CRLF if a config switch is set.
These links might give you more information:
http://stackoverflow.com/search?q=git+crlf
No the problem is bigger. If you check in something with line endings without proper config, it will just work.

Since git is distributed and anarchistic, there is no central place where you could force such settings (like SVN does)

I'm told this remains a problem, since if sb forgets to configure properly, repo's get corrupted again.

(we discussed moving to GIT, and this is one of reasons we haven't, though the main reason was that GITs workflow didn't really add anything practically noticable. Our workflow is different from the Linux kernel)
litzler

Post by litzler »

Hi counting_pine
Would it be useful to create a free account on github to install the French translation of manual FreeBasic?
So I could exercise myself to the use of git and github.
Maybe it would allow other users to collaborate: correction of errors, spelling errors, convert HTML in Wakka ....
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

Yeah, it could be helpful.
Once we have a full conversion to wakka we can do away with the HTML, although that's still a hurdle for the moment.
I've started a github project for the conversion tools, in case anyone's interested in working on it, or just following progress.
https://github.com/countingpine/html2wakka
litzler

Post by litzler »

Hi counting_pine,
I have started tests on github. After some hesitations and errors, I copied the French html files on https://github.com/litzler/FBC-French-Manual
I will continue later (at the beginning of 2012) because I'm away for about 15 days (or more) without a computer.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and best wishes for 2012 for all users of FreeBasic and all people of good will.
See you soon.
counting_pine
Site Admin

Re: Translation of the manual in French

Post by counting_pine »

Hi,
just to say I'm still (!) working on the wakka translation - but it took longer than I expected.
I've got the automated tools producing a close-enough approximation (though they're messy enough that I'm not sure whether to bother updating the github) and am going through manually comparing with the original English one - I'm finding quite a few issues in the original as I go through.
litzler

Post by litzler »

Hi counting_pine,
Good job. For my part I read french html files to eliminate spelling errors, errors ..... The result is always on https://github.com/litzler/FBC-French-Manual
See you soon.
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

Hi,
I've finished the conversion to wiki, and the results can be found at https://github.com/countingpine/fbc/tree/french. Sorry, I haven't incorporated the changes you've made on github at this time, but perhaps you might find it easier to fork and do them yourself.

Note: I'm not sure if I made a mistake, but the following files were left unchanged in the commit. But perhaps some of them don't need translations made anyway:
AntoniGual.wakka
CatPgVarArg.wakka
CompilerCredits.wakka
CompilerOptl.wakka
DrV.wakka
FMod.wakka
GlossaryIndex.wakka
GnuLicenses.wakka
LaananFisher.wakka
LangQB.wakka
LicenseGFDL.wakka
LicenseGPL.wakka
LicenseLGPL.wakka
ObsoletedKwds.wakka
OpenGL.wakka
OpPrecedence.wakka
PrintToc.wakka
ProPgArrayIndex.wakka
ProPgPrimer1.wakka
ProPgUDTs.wakka
SephKnows.wakka
TblEscapeSequences.wakka
TblRuntimeErrors.wakka
TblTruth.wakka
TblVarTypes.wakka
TekRat.wakka
WikiRick.wakka

Things to do:
- Try making the manual from the wakka pages
- Make French version of fbdocs/manual/templates/default/lang/en/custom.ini - so some built-in sections such as "Differences from QB" ( {{fbdoc item="diff"}} ) are translated properly - and point conversion tool/lib to it
- Incorporate translation updates from later HTML translation (by hand I think)
- Merge all the subsequent documentation changes from the master branch (could be a long task, and more changes may be made before the next release - the last git commit is already missing a few new pages from the wiki)
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

Hi again.
I've just updated the docs creation tool at https://github.com/countingpine/fbc/com ... 752cb673b4 so now it creates French headings.

Now it should be possible to create fully French HTML files directly from the wakka by running "make" from fbc/fbdocs/manual.
(I think it might also be necessary to run make from fbdocs/libfbdoc and fbdocs/fbdoc as well, and possibly also to install some lib...-dev packages.)

I see you've been making more changes to the HTML wihch is good, though they'll need to be carried across at some point. Either manually, or perhaps another alternative might be to run the untranslation tools and merge in the differences.

Note: it looks like your HTML editor (gedit?) is writing backup files (i.e. "*.html~"), and they're being added to the repository. In at least one instance there seems to be changes made to the backup instead. Would you be able to look through your repository and root them all out, making sure any changes are put back in the main file? I find gitk is a useful tool for things like this.
litzler

Post by litzler »

Hello counting_pine,
Good job.
But I will deal with that later, because I go away, in one hour, for 15-20 days.
See you soon
litzler

Post by litzler »

Hello counting_pine,
I read again all the "html files". I will soon have finish. I correct some spelling mistakes, errors, .... The result is at the following address: https://github.com/litzler/FBC-French-Manual. When I finish, I will eliminate the ".html~ files" and I will contact you for the "wakka files" and the french wiki, if it is possible.
See you soon
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

Hi litzler.. Thanks, I was just looking at this yesterday. I've created some rough translations using automated tools, and I hope I will be able to use the differences in these to merge the changes into the main wakka files.
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

Litzler, you've been doing a great and consistent job working on all the changes in the HTML files.

Unfortunately, while the rough translation makes it a lot easier, it looks like I'm still going to have to merge in all the changes manually. This means that the sooner you clean up the source tree, the sooner I can settle on a rough translation and the fewer changes I'll have to merge in.

Would it be helpful if I push the rough conversions now? You might find them easier to work with because the wakka is a lot cleaner than the HTML, although you wouldn't be able to see the results in a web browser until I merge them into the proper conversions.
I think it would be good to get to the stage where we no longer have to do any work with HTML files, only to produce them automatically from the wakka.

How are you committing files to your repository by the way? It looks like your method is adding all the files in the directory, while only the updated files needed to be pushed. Anything else would be things like editor backups (*.html~) and any metadata/cruft produced by things like file managers.
litzler

Post by litzler »

Hello couting_pine,
How are you committing files to your repository by the way? It looks like your method is adding all the files in the directory, while only the updated files needed to be pushed. Anything else would be things like editor backups (*.html~) and any metadata/cruft produced by things like file managers.
I have eliminate all the (*.html~) files and I "git add" only new files.
Unfortunately, while the rough translation makes it a lot easier, it looks like I'm still going to have to merge in all the changes manually. This means that the sooner you clean up the source tree, the sooner I can settle on a rough translation and the fewer changes I'll have to merge in.
If you can wait a little (1 or 2 days) I finish my checks and you will go for making wakka files. I inform you when all is OK on my github repository.