Wiki improvements

Forum for discussion about the documentation project.
fxm

Re: Wiki improvements

Post by fxm »

There is no specific syntax with 'Base.' in order to call a base operator member. The only way is to apply the operator with an up-casting of the instance.
Similar problem is described in the bug report '#693 How to call an overridden base member operator, in disabling polymorphism (inheritance only)?', but in that last case, there is no workaround.
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

fxm I got it now but for other beginners feel free and add a hint in the wiki if you like.

again thank you

Joshy
fxm

Post by fxm »

Done:
KeyPgBase → fxm [Added note on accessing operator members of a base type]
fxm

Post by fxm »

If you search a good resolution to make for the New Year 2020:
fxm wrote:
fxm wrote:If someone else could fill in the last two remaining pages "Graphics / External Graphics File Formats" and "Making Binaries / Executables" (it's outside of my skills), it would be nice to finally have a complete Programmer's Guide.
coderJeff wrote:- For executables topic: I think this should describe the components: (object modules and/or import library and/or library) => executable.
- For external graphics file formats topic: what is supported by BLOAD & BSAVE. To be cross platform, the QB/BMP formats that can be loaded/saved are hard coded in the rtlib. So, this is will be a description of what is specifically supported by the rtlib.
No volunteers for these 2 pages?
Still, it seems to me that there are skills on these two topics on the forum and that they could (by taking a little bit of their personal time) easily produce at worst a draft that I could then incorporate into the Programmer's Guide.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

There are many people listed in the Wiki sign ups, although I don't really know what that thread is all about myself.
I presume that those signed up can edit the FreeBASIC help files. (The documentation link in FreeBASIC.net)
From that pool of names surely the "Graphics / External Graphics File Formats" and "Making Binaries / Executables" editors would emanate.
I cannot find any reference to "Making Binaries / Executables" for example in the documentation, so will it be a brand new page?
Maybe others also find the documentation pages difficult to use and thus those skillful in these topics are not encouraged to contribute.
Thankfully you keep the .chm files up to date.
badidea

Post by badidea »

dodicat wrote:I cannot find any reference to "Making Binaries / Executables" for example in the documentation, so will it be a brand new page?
Yes, with a link to it on https://freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.php?wa ... Programmer (second column, about 2/3 down).
I know nothing about making binaries. The compiler does that for me :-)
Last edited by badidea on Jan 08, 2020 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
badidea

Post by badidea »

Something else:
https://freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=FBWiki wrote: How to improve this Wiki
Have you found an error or omission on one of our pages? Please register on our forum at freebasic.net/forum to get edit access to our wiki. Let us know about the error or omission by adding a comment to the page, or edit the content yourself and help contribute to the wiki. Have a look at the FB Wiki - Help page to get started. Also, feel free to take a look at the list of Docs pages that need to be written.
The current way to become an editor requires two steps (1. register on forum, 2. drop a request at Wiki signups).
Edit: Main wiki page modified.

BTW: There seems to be a small bug in the wiki software itself. If no edit comment is given, the next (non-empty) comment is displayed in the history view.
fxm

Post by fxm »

changelog.txt:
Version 1.08.0
[added]
- fbc: add builtin function fb_MemMove() alias "memmove"
- fbc: add builtin function fb_MemCopy() alias "memcpy" (was previously removed in an older version of fbc)
Documentation updated accordingly:
- KeyPgFBMemcopy → fxm [new page created]
- KeyPgFBMemmove → fxm [new page created]
- CatPgMemory → fxm [added links to FB_MEMCOPY and FB_MEMMOVE]
- CatPgFunctIndex → fxm [added links to FB_MEMCOPY and FB_MEMMOVE]
- CatPgFullIndex → fxm [added links to FB_MEMCOPY and FB_MEMMOVE]
- PrintToc → fxm [added links to FB_MEMCOPY and FB_MEMMOVE]
fxm

Post by fxm »

changelog.txt:
Version 1.08.0
[added]
- fbc: 'POKE ANY, dst, src, count' statement
For the moment, I do not enter this adding in the documentation, because its maintaining is not yet confirmed (see viewtopic.php?p=267922#p267922).
badidea

Post by badidea »

Any objections if I clean up the FBWikiDownloads page?
It contains direct links to the documentation in 5 different formats for all freebasic releases, but for not the latests / last three.
One link to: https://sourceforge.net/projects/fbc/fi ... mentation/
and one to: https://sourceforge.net/projects/fbc/fi ... 0versions/
is probably enough?
With some explanation of what the different formats are and how to use them?
fxm

Post by fxm »

The simplest would it not be to put one single constant link to the topic "News" of the forum:
News forum
and just add a comment saying to refer to the "Documentation" paragraph of the post for the version considered?
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

Hello fxm,
can you add a link on the GetMouse() wiki page to the Event (Message Data From Screenevent) please ?

This is the more advanced mouse input method and includes event time,
mouse drag movement distance, and the mouse enter and leave notification also.

Thank you.

Joshy
fxm

Post by fxm »

Done:
KeyPgGetmouse → fxm [added a link to KeyPgEvent]
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

I searched in the section "Modularizing" but don't found any information how to export import "classes" in static or dynamic shared libraries.
May be I'm blind or is this topic complete mising ?

All what i found so far are extern, public, export ,import for sub's and function's but no class con/destructor's or class operators ...

A short OOP example for static and shared lib's would be a nice to have :-)

Joshy
fxm

Post by fxm »

For example:
viewtopic.php?p=236630#p236630

Perhaps a similar example could be added in the 'Static Libraries' or/and 'Shared Libraries (DLLs)' pages of the 'Programmer's Guide' ?