The Last Mission (remake or replica) updated 4 July 2009

User contributed sources that have become inactive, deprecated, or generally unusable. But ... we don't really want to throw them away either.
smagin

The Last Mission (remake or replica) updated 4 July 2009

Post by smagin »

UPDATED 4 July 2009:
- now there's music in the game at the title screen (opl2 aka adlib emulator from MAME is used).
- screen x2 scaling is now done without WinAPI on fast computers (also scanline effect is now present), on old ones StretchDIBits is still preferred.
- tested on old celeron 766 (equivalent to PII MMX) with Win98, smoothness is fine.
============
Hi, everybody!
Here's the game I'm working on recently. Not an original one but a close remake of The Last Mission (1987) by Opera Soft. Originally this game was made for MSX, MSX2, Amstrad CPC and ZX-Spectrum but there existed a PC CGA port with poorer 4-color graphics and awful pc-speaker sound.

Some screenshots of the PC CGA port:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/pc-booter ... hotId,9001
http://www.mobygames.com/game/pc-booter ... hotId,9002

Check out more screenshots of other ports here and here.

So I took pc version (sorry) and remade the game with FreeBASIC. The link is the following (Win32 version only, sources included):
http://file-pasta.com/file/765551757/mission040709.zip
The biggest flaw of this remake (or call it Win32 port) is the lack of sound effects but I'm working on it :)
Criticism is highly welcomed. Thanx.
Last edited by smagin on Jul 04, 2009 11:38, edited 7 times in total.
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

Well I must say it reminds me of the days of playing games on my Radio Shack Color Computer! :) Sound would definately add to the experience. My only complaint is that the player seems to move very fast going up-down that I run into enemies all the time.

Great Job!
-Vince

BTW I get 60fps during play on my 1.2Ghz Celeron M laptop.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Very nice. Seems to be faithful to the original...which I didn't play.

I guess the gameplay is a bit too old school for my taste. I can't make much progress. I passed about 20 screen but get killed on one screen with a moving sparkle. It is addictive. I played for some 30 minutes. Ack.

Does the tank has a purpose?
The Car

Post by The Car »

Nice! The CGA graphics bring me back. The movement is nice and smooth.

One thing I noticed - when I turn right/left to face the screen (looking like a little ball), the collision detection with the walls still thinks I'm just as wide as if I'm facing left or right. Did the original have this as well?

Lachie, the tank appears to prevent you from wasting fuel.
Lachie Dazdarian

Didn't notice the fuel.

I need hints.
smagin

Post by smagin »

Here's the description of the game from MobyGames.com:

The Last Mission is a side-view arcade game without scrolling (viewpoint moves from screen to screen) with map of big dimensions. The game takes its inspiration from games such as Underwurlde and Starquake.

You control a tank-like robot which can be divided in two: you rotate caterpillar and head-canyon, and the head part can fly off on its own. However,the head can only survive separately for a short amount of time, and your restart position is dictated by the location of the body, even if the head has moved forward through further screens. Therefore, the difficulty of the game was in making it possible to advance with the assembled robot's two parts.
Lachie Dazdarian

I always start from the begining, despite pulling the tank for several screens.
E.K.Virtanen

Post by E.K.Virtanen »

*snif* You just made an old man crying here...
smagin

Post by smagin »

Updated 3 July 2009, see first post.