How to build a library on top of GfxLib?

General FreeBASIC programming questions.
jdebord

How to build a library on top of GfxLib?

Post by jdebord »

I have a module for plotting curves (plot.bas) and a demo program (plotfunc.bas). The module uses only calls to GfxLib.

If I compile with "fbc plotfunc.bas plot.bas" I obtain the executable (plotfunc.exe) and it runs very well.

If I try to convert the module to a library with "fbc plot.bas -lib" I obtain the library file (libplot.a) without any error.

But when I try to link this library with my demo program with "fbc plotfunc.bas -l plot" I get a whole list of "undefined reference to fb_Gfx..." in libplot.a

Adding #inclib "fbgfx" in plot.bas or plotfunc.bas does not help.

What can I do?
v1ctor
Site Admin

Post by v1ctor »

The gfx library is only included when GFX statements or functions are used, to make the linking faster. It depends on user32, gdi32, winmm so the command-line would have to include all them, - plus the fbgfx lib itself - or you can add them to an include file using the #inclib directive.
lillo
Site Admin

Post by lillo »

Just changed inc/fbgfx.bi so it also automatically link in needed libraries. This way just including it in your sources will cause them to be linked, avoiding the problems you encountered... Change in CVS.
jdebord

Post by jdebord »

Thank you very much for your explanations. I have made the modifications suggested by Victor. Now it works!

I will try to get the new file, but I have never used CVS.

In the meantime, could you please tell me how I can do the same with Linux? Which libraries should be linked?
lillo
Site Admin

Post by lillo »

Add this to your local copy of inc/fbgfx.bi:

Code: Select all

#inclib "fbgfx"
#ifdef __FB_WIN32__
	#inclib "user32"
	#inclib "gdi32"
	#inclib "winmm"
#elseif defined(__FB_LINUX__)
	#libpath "/usr/X11R6/lib"
	#inclib "X11"
	#inclib "Xext"
	#inclib "Xpm"
	#inclib "Xrandr"
	#inclib "Xrender"
	#inclib "pthread"
#endif
#include it and you're done, from both Win32 and Linux.
jdebord

Post by jdebord »

OK. Thanks again !
Antoni

Post by Antoni »

Lillo:

As the problem will happen with any lib extending gfxlib, perhaps the patch you propose should be included in the next release of the headers.

I'm doing a jpeg extension for gfxlib. Any suggestion? I know you too catched the jpeg bug back in 2000...
lillo
Site Admin

Post by lillo »

Antoni: the change is already in CVS :)

About JPG, I'd suggest you have a look at my JPGalleg codec; it supports almost any JPG you throw at it, including progressive ones. From my experience, if you code a JPG loader, progressive support is a must.
Anyway, I may decide to port JPGalleg to FB one day...
Antoni

Post by Antoni »

I have the source of JpgAlleg, i will look at it for lib organisation progressive support.
I'm patching the old code I started in QB back in 1999 (i I started then optimizing Dmitry Brant's viewer), but it requires a lot of adaptation to FB features to be useful.

According to the profiler it spends a 75% of its time doing Huffman decoding, bit manipulation is slow...and it spends in IDCT (LLM fixed point) only an 1% of the time, so perhaps I will revert it to floating point for more accuracy..

I'm at 2 seconds to load a 10Mpixel image in a P4 1,4. Don't believe I can go below this...
DrV
Site Admin

Post by DrV »

I've got the JPGalleg header ported to FB on my local machine but haven't written any examples for it yet (it's untested); I'll commit it to CVS in the off chance that someone will be willing to port the examples. :)