About system DOS

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
VANYA

About system DOS

Post by VANYA »

There is a branch at a forum "DOS". I want to ask a question:

Really who that still works in this system, or simply train in programming?
Fox

Re: About system DOS

Post by Fox »

VANYA wrote:There is a branch at a forum "DOS". I want to ask a question:

Really who that still works in this system, or simply train in programming?
Me!

I'm using FreeDOS for some tasks, and I do compile many of my programs to this platform.
I know there is also a bunch of other people on this forum which still care about DOS. There is one big advantage in DOS: it is *not* multitasking. When you launch your program, you know that it is the only thing that runs, and "da house is yours" :-P
VANYA

Re: About system DOS

Post by VANYA »

Fox wrote:
Me!

I'm using FreeDOS for some tasks, and I do compile many of my programs to this platform.
I know there is also a bunch of other people on this forum which still care about DOS. There is one big advantage in DOS: it is *not* multitasking. When you launch your program, you know that it is the only thing that runs, and "da house is yours" :-P
The word of honor, I am amazed!!
jevans4949

Post by jevans4949 »

I believe member dinosaur uses FB on DOS for building control systems - air conditioning and such - in the real world.
roook_ph

Post by roook_ph »

Some low end laptops sold in the market comes with freedos only Preinstalled. So while you are in search of a better OS hell might as well try
rdc

Post by rdc »

I know it is still being used for embedded systems:

http://www.drdos.com/products/drdos703.htm
marcov

Post by marcov »

rdc wrote:I know it is still being used for embedded systems:

http://www.drdos.com/products/drdos703.htm
The (C) 2004 on that page says it all :-)
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Hi all
I believe member dinosaur uses FB on DOS for building control systems - air conditioning and such - in the real world.
Well not Air conditioning, but I have 222 machines all over Australia and PNG and only 3 of them run on XPe. Everything from Diamonds to Dog Food.
There is one big advantage in DOS: it is *not* multitasking. When you launch your program, you know that it is the only thing that runs, and "da house is yours" :-P
I could not have put that better myself. The average computer populace has NO IDEA how dos based machines and systems affect their daily lives.

Regards
marcov

Post by marcov »

Dinosaur wrote:Hi all
Well not Air conditioning, but I have 222 machines all over Australia and PNG and only 3 of them run on XPe. Everything from Diamonds to Dog Food.
How much do you invest in new Dos development? This is not meant sarcastic.
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Hi All

Most of my new Dos installs are modifications of previous Dos applications.
So to answer truthfully, not much. The main reason for this is that manufacturing boards in low quantities is far to expensive now. Usb based boards are abundant and cheap(but slow), but Dos support for Usb is unreliable, so that is why all my latest machines are XPe.
If a new machine requires fast A2D and/or phase angle firing boards, then I still use Dos.

Regards
marcov

Post by marcov »

Dinosaur wrote:Hi All

Most of my new Dos installs are modifications of previous Dos applications.
So to answer truthfully, not much. The main reason for this is that manufacturing boards in low quantities is far to expensive now.
I know all about it. I just last year killed off the last 8-bit boards :-)

They were more microprocessor (PIC) than former PC hw, but the reasons are the same.

Succesor is 16-bit PIC, and that even feels old now. But these have hardware motorcontrol (encoder and PWM) hw. With the HW bits doing the heavy lifting, the actual CPU is fairly low.
Plasma

Post by Plasma »

You might be surprised what runs DOS...many Canon SLR digital cameras have an x86 compatible CPU and run a custom version of DOS...
John Spikowski

Post by John Spikowski »

I remember a client of mine that was running a DOS Paradox custom application that went down on a daily basis due to file corruption over a Windows 2003 server network. Paradox copies the whole file to the users workstation. I ended up moving their system to Linux running DOSEMU and it was like running it in single user mode on a dedicated PC. (all users having the same experience in a multi-user environment) The Linux box showed minimal load even with a fair amount of users. We used pUTTY (Windows) as the client interface which was cool because as you resize the 80 x 25 window, the fonts get bigger. (great for those blind, should have retired 10 years ago users that won't let their DOS applications go) A perfect shop/shipping & recieving use for those old 15" monitors no one wants to use anymore.

It's nice to know that there are ways to extend the life of DOS applications without great expense.
Last edited by John Spikowski on Jan 14, 2011 6:35, edited 2 times in total.
marcov

Post by marcov »

Plasma wrote:You might be surprised what runs DOS...many Canon SLR digital cameras have an x86 compatible CPU and run a custom version of DOS...
I tried to explain that "what runs dos" is the wrong question. The question should be "who still invests in dos?"
roook_ph

Post by roook_ph »

There are still low mem / low processor speed gadgets out there and one primary option to run them is to embed dos do not underestimate the POWER!