DISLIN library (10.2 headers and examples).

Headers, Bindings, Libraries for use with FreeBASIC, Please include example of use to help ensure they are tested and usable.
TJF

DISLIN library (10.2 headers and examples).

Post by TJF »

DISLIN is a high-level plotting library developed by Helmut Michels at the Max Planck Institute in Katlenburg-Lindau, Germany. Helmut Michels currently works as a mathematician and Unix system manager at the computer center of the institute.

The DISLIN library contains routines and functions for displaying data as curves, bar graphs, pie charts, 3D-colour plots, surfaces, contours and maps. Several output formats are supported such as X11, VGA, PostScript, PDF, CGM, HPGL, SVG, PNG, BMP, PPM, GIF and TIFF.

DISLIN is available for most operating systems. This package makes it available for FreeBasic (the original dislin.bi file in the FB distro is outdated). The current version of DISLIN is 10.2 released in November 2011. The first version 1.0 was released in December 1986.

The DISLIN software is free for non-commercial use.

This package contains header files
  • dislin.bi
  • dislin_d.bi (double precision)
and some example files
  • 3DBarGraph.bas
  • 3DBars.bas
  • 3DColourPlot.bas
  • BarGraphs.bas
  • ContourPlot.bas
  • curve.bas
  • InterpolationMethods.bas
  • MapPlot.bas
  • PieCharts.bas
  • PolarPlots.bas
  • ShadedContourPlot.bas
  • ShadedSurfaceContourPlot.bas
  • ShadedSurfacePlot.bas
  • ShadingPattern.bas
  • SomeSolids.bas
  • SpheresAndTubes.bas
  • SurfacePlot.bas
  • Symbols.bas
  • TexInstructionsMath.bas
Find the FB files here:
http://www.freebasic-portal.de/download ... c-213.html

To compile the examples or write your own code, you have to download
and install the library binaries for your system. For details see
http://www.mps.mpg.de/dislin/server.html
Carlos Herrera

Post by Carlos Herrera »

To compile the examples or write your own code, you have to download
and install the library binaries for your system.
Which one? dl_10_bc.zip ? _gc? _vc?

BTW, (newbie question) to execute the examples with gsl library calls I had to download
binaries from the net. What is the purpose of the file, already included in the FB distribution, which is named "libgsl.dll.a"?
TJF

Post by TJF »

Carlos Herrera wrote:Which one? dl_10_bc.zip ? _gc? _vc?
Find some infos about installing on windows in this post and the following ones. Good luck!
Carlos Herrera wrote:BTW, (newbie question) to execute the examples with gsl library calls I had to download
binaries from the net. What is the purpose of the file, already included in the FB distribution, which is named "libgsl.dll.a"?
See GSL - GNU Scientific Library.
Carlos Herrera

Post by Carlos Herrera »

@TJF
Thanks for updating the dislin interface. I used it years ago for contouring and Delaunay triangulation.
As regards gsl library, I know what it is and I can use it with FreeBasic since I have downloaded libgsl.dll and libgslcblas.dll from
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/gsl.htm.
My question was elementary and FB specific: what are the numerous files with ".dll.a" extensions located in \lib\win32 folder?
jdebord

Post by jdebord »

The *.dll.a files are the import libraries. The compiler needs them to locate the functions exported by the DLL.
TJF

Post by TJF »

Carlos Herrera wrote:My question was elementary and FB specific: what are the numerous files with ".dll.a" extensions located in \lib\win32 folder?
Sorry, I didn't get it.
jdebord wrote:The *.dll.a files are the import libraries. The compiler needs them to locate the functions exported by the DLL.
Yes, they're called import libraries. And it's the linker (ld.exe) which uses these files after compiling, to generate a table for linking variables, SUBs and FUNCTIONs in the object files (.o) against the runtime library (.dll).

If the .dll.a file doesn't match the .bi file you'll get errors like
  • PolarPlots.o:fake:(.text+0x343): undefined reference to `intrgb'
It means the 'intrgb' function is declared in the header (.bi) and used in the FB source (.bas), but isn't available in the .dll.a file.

The dll.a file also specifies the name of the .dll file to load at runtime.