Guitar Chord Finder - Because Online Chord Lists Suck!

User contributed sources that have become inactive, deprecated, or generally unusable. But ... we don't really want to throw them away either.
anonymous1337

Guitar Chord Finder - Because Online Chord Lists Suck!

Post by anonymous1337 »

Guitar Chord Finder (Source) - Written because I am sick of online chord lists. They're worthless! I often find chords on accident, so I wrote this program to help me find a "true" chord based on the frets I already know of it.

Syntax: ChordFinder -mode fret1 fret2 fret3 fret4 fret5 fret6 outputFile

For example, calling -string 0 2 2 1 0 0 would print the standard E chord along with similarly matching chords. More info in the README.txt, or call -help as the mode for the same info.

Sample Output:

Code: Select all

cmd> ChordFinder -fret 2 -1 -1 -1 -1 2

Gb7 or Gbdom 7:            2  4  2  3  2  2
Ebdim/B:                   2 -1  1  2  0  2
Gb or Gbmaj:               2  4  4  3  2  2
B/A:                       2 -1  1  2  0  2
B7 or Bdom 7:              2 -1  1  2  0  2
Gbm:                       2  4  4  2  2  2
Bbdim/Gb:                  2  4  2  3  2  2
Bm:                        2  2  4  4  3  2
Gb/E:                      2  4  2  3  2  2
D or Dmaj:                 2  0  0  2  3  2
Continue Printing? (Y/N): n
It's open source. I'd enjoy it if someone
1) Mirrored
2) Writes a Web Page version/GUI for the program so we can reach more people.
3) Reads the README or calls -help before complaining.

Enjoy,
anonymous1337
Antoni

Post by Antoni »

Landeel

Post by Landeel »

Hey, this is so useful!
Thank you so much anonymous1337!
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

@Antoni - I'll implement that when/if I add a GUI. Thanks for the link though!

I consider additional features to the base program more important. Drop-D/Custom Tuning Support and Guitar Tablature formatted output. Aside from that, the base program's done, and a GUI can be made separately since ChordFinder's almost 100% "proper" console app.
anonymous1337

Re: Guitar Chord Finder - Because Online Chord Lists Suck!

Post by anonymous1337 »

Anyone have the source for this? I actually want this thing.
TESLACOIL

Post by TESLACOIL »

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/

Ive been playing guitar for donkeys years, it was all books (and the odd video) back then. Russ Shipton, Ralph Denyer. Ah those where the days. I remember older guitarists saying that 'chord books were cheating' , back in there day the electric guitar for the masses was a 'new invention' , pah these kids born in the 60's in and the 70s don't know they are born.

Hotel California is famous for the complex musical mathematics that underpins its key breaking chord progression. Feel free to knock yourself out trying to understand the various theoretical underpinnings.

PS The Eagles stole that progression from Jethro Tull
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

Chord lists like that are exactly why I wrote my own guitar chord finder :)

If no one has the source, I admit, I will be disappointed...
TESLACOIL

Post by TESLACOIL »

I printed out a huge fretboard with every note listed and hung it on my wall ( horizontal poster)

I found this helped a great deal ref remembering/constructing chords

Because the guitar is chromatic lengthways the easiest way to remember chords is to memorize half a dozen or so chord shapes and just slide them up and down the neck.( work out where the octaves are relative to the notes on the thick e string)

Likewise i memorized the pattern of the A minor/C major scale across all strings for one octave.

Once you have memorized that pattern then you also know every note of every major and minor key and each of the modes. The physical pattern is the same. Just shift the pattern up and down the neck and make a mental note of which note is the home note.

I learned 1 pattern and a dozen sliding chord shapes & that gave me direct access to virtually every chord in every key & every mode.

that's the easy way to go about learning the guitar
TESLACOIL

Post by TESLACOIL »

At the end of the day your fingers have to 'instinctively know where to go' and that means committing brain neurons to the task.

90% of the effort required to master any physical musical instrument = muscle memory

and that means an extremely tedious amount of physical practice because your brain is rather slow to learn physical action that requires sub cm and in many case sub mm accuracy.

In order to play a musical instrument well you have to be able to move your hands a distance of approx 2 feet and land your fingers with an accuracy +/- 1mm, and be able to do this in less than 1/10th of a second. Which is why it takes years of physical practice and there is NO substitute for that physical practice. All the chord books and music software in the world wont help you a jot if you cant translate that 'data/information' into fluid physical action.

Time to memorize a single chord = 10 to 100 seconds

Time to fluidly play that chord at will = 10 to 100 hours physical practice.

Boring BUT TRUE !
TESLACOIL

Post by TESLACOIL »

@ anonymous1337

If i was to write i chord finder i would approach it from the perpective of the different notes that make up that chord

Simple chords have just 3 or 4 notes, i would do a graphic of the entire fretboard and light up each of those notes in a different colour right across the fretboard...if your fingers can be twisted to reach the required combination then you have 'your chord/chords'

Sometime you will play a chord up high and include an open string or two, other times you might use your thumb to fret the low E string. On occasion you might even play overhand Jeff healey style. Other times you may place both hands on the fretboard and strum with your free thumb or little finger. I have even played cross hands, fingering a chords with fingers of both hands but actually strumming with the thumb of my left hand ( my fretting hand)

A guitar is a 'shoot from the hip' type instrument. Its expressive yes, but crippled.

Your exact chord fingering being dictated by things like convenience of changing chords, the kind of tone you are seeking. The tone and physical position of where you are coming from and the tone and physical finger position of where you are going too. Tone is incredibly important on the guitar.

When standing up playing live you might choose one fingering, when sat down in the recording in the studio and have greater control over the tone, effects and post processing you will often choose a different fingering.

Likewise you tend to reduce the complexity of the chords when playing with others in order to leave room in the mix. Sometimes ill choose a simple fingering thats bright with a sharp attack in order to cut thru but not overwhelm, other times i may use a more complex fingering that is intrinsically soft and non invasive but gently fills a wide musical space.

If your playing with distortion you will often use a different fingering. Mostly to reduce inter modulation effects but sometimes to enhance that effect....I will often use a different fingering dependent on effects type, what works with multitap echo may sound utterly pants with a flanger, wah, heavy chorus or saturated reverb.

The chords you see in books or in online chord finders are just to get you going. YOUR EAR IS KING , musical theory is only there spring board to leap from.

hope this all helps...i haven't looked at a chord chart for decades, if you know the notes you are playing ( can count along the frets) then that method is as good as any for constructing chords, and inversions of chords...a lot of inversions are used, grace chords and grace notes are commonly deployed to sooth out the musical bumps....at the end of the day its all maths. Each and every note comes with a series of harmonics that enhance,or fight the others.

Key: Chord fingering choices and 'the way you play' those notes can bury or highlight the notes and their accompanying harmonics.

In the final analysis

Music = the maths your ear can understand

A tired virgin ear and an experienced ear will perceive things very differently...no one goes to a Jazz fusion concert with a headache, lol...all these things and many more have 'strong' influences on chord fingerings....ill cheekily add, less time coding and more time strumming with your eyes shut will flatten the learning curve....we all get bogged down in theory and fingerings at some point, wade through that intellectual quagmire with gritted teeth, but on the other side we can relax and spread our sonic wings.

I feel your pain
...im just learning to play the piano (well the synthesizor truth be told) but because i know what the basic notes are that make up a chord i have felt no need to consult a piano chord book...fumbling is fun....who put those black keys there ??? damn fools spoiled the cromaticity of what is essentially a big flat guitar harp !

Guitar harmonics
well worth a read before you start attacking the chord problem with computer code. Because i studied physics before i picked up a guitar i knew about this sort of stuff in advance and it is 'fundamental' (scuse the pun)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_harmonics