FbEdit, new IDE for FreeBASIC written in FreeBASIC

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
gadams

Re: FbEdit

Post by gadams »

vdecampo wrote:I've got FBEdit working ok under Linux with WINE but I can't execute the program from the IDE. It just locks up. I can run the compiled exe from the terminal or desktop manager. Anybody been able to solve this?

-Vince
I know this was a couple of years ago, but I am having the same problem.
Did you ever solve this problem?
TJF

Post by TJF »

Hello gadams! Your first post, so welcome at the forum.

Why asking for FBEdit, when you're on LINUX? It's like mounting a roof rack on a sports-car.

You can directly use all the advanced tools like Geany or Devhelp and work on a stabile system. WINE is only useful for compiling and testing for other OSs at the very end.
Kot

Post by Kot »

gadams wrote:
vdecampo wrote:I've got FBEdit working ok under Linux with WINE but I can't execute the program from the IDE. It just locks up. I can run the compiled exe from the terminal or desktop manager. Anybody been able to solve this?

-Vince
I know this was a couple of years ago, but I am having the same problem.
Did you ever solve this problem?
Do you run the program directly by pressing "Compile and run"? This may be similar to the problem I experience on my old laptop, when running from a pendrive. When I press "Compile and run" and click "save" in the popup window it hangs up, but when I first save the code and then click compile, everything works OK.
gadams

Post by gadams »

Why asking for FBEdit, when you're on LINUX? It's like mounting a roof rack on a sports-car.

You can directly use all the advanced tools like Geany or Devhelp and work on a stabile system. WINE is only useful for compiling and testing for other OSs at the very end.
Thanks for the quick reply.
I would be doing my programming in JAVA, but I have an engineer that insists on using FreeBasic with FBEdit.
I am trying to convince him to use Geany, I have tried it and believe it is the correct tool for the job, we will see.
mvhemanth

Post by mvhemanth »

Why no update to FBedit since ver 1.0.6.8
was that in 2009 ?
Merick

Post by Merick »

I believe the source code was lost
St_W

Post by St_W »

No, the source code was definitely not lost. For example I do have a copy :-)
And, most important, it's on sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/fbedit/

I guess you meant FBide, for which the source code of the latest version was lost (for old versions it still exists).

It's simply because the original author, Ketil Olsen, seems to have stopped working on it and no-one else has taken it over. There is one "fork" known to me where some sporadic (unofficial) development is ongoing, but you've to compile it yourself and it may not work for everyone:
https://svn.freebasic-portal.de/svn/fbedit/
jcfuller

Re: FbEdit [SOLVED]

Post by jcfuller »

I use both FbEdit and Radasm3 for different programming needs.
One item that is different is the Tools -> Explore Current Path.
FbEdit spawns a new window for each request where RadASM3 uses a current window if it exists (my preferred method).
I took a quick look at the FbEdit source but found no way to change this behavior??
[SLOVED]
Thanks to a PowerBASIC user I now have the functionality with FbEdit as I do with RadAsm3

James
jcfuller

Re: FbEdit [REALLY SOLVED]

Post by jcfuller »

Well I found the code faulty but did finally find the solution.
It was there all the time in the RadASM3 source but I was sure I was reading it wrong.
ShellExecute(hWin,NULL,"","",NULL,SW_SHOWNORMAL).
Send all NULL's or empty strings and you get the current directory. A new one if none exists and a move to the forefront if one does.

James
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

i don't know if I ever said thank you for this. Thank You. i've been using it for years. it's actually boosted me to places that would have probably taken me much longer to get to otherwise. :)
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

St_W wrote:There is one "fork" known to me where some sporadic (unofficial) development is ongoing, but you've to compile it yourself and it may not work for everyone:
After a lot of fiddling around, I managed to build a working version. I had to fix a few bugs on the way, and I made minor changes, primarily to allow me to use %FBE_PATH% and %FBC_PATH% in the EnvironPath values already.

FYI: Very important bugfix: Opening an RC file would cause the whole thing to crash. The reason is your mod of ResEd's Project.asm. In line 255, you have to change "pop edx" to "mov edx, lpFileName". Another thing which would (potentially) crash is GenericOpt.bas, line 70 - "(@CmdLine)" must be changed to plain "CmdLine".

May I publish a compiled version for others to use? I guess it will be helpful.

EDIT: Hm, I just realize you wrote "known to me", so you are not the author - who is it then?
EDIT2: Found another bug: Setting a new font which has more characters than the default font will corrupt memory. In my case it corrupted the color list's constants and I was unable to use the option dialog. It happened because the default font names (e.g. "Tahoma", "Terminal" - they are supposed to be constants) were just overwritten with the new ones, but on the same memory address! I changed it so the structure holds the whole string instead of a pointer, which also required changing the INI load/save methods, but: I was unable to figure out how this works with other strings, though... because from first glance it looks like all string loading would crash sooner or later...
St_W

Post by St_W »

Cherry wrote:
St_W wrote:There is one "fork" known to me where some sporadic (unofficial) development is ongoing, but you've to compile it yourself and it may not work for everyone:
After a lot of fiddling around, I managed to build a working version. I had to fix a few bugs on the way, and I made minor changes, primarily to allow me to use %FBE_PATH% and %FBC_PATH% in the EnvironPath values already.

FYI: Very important bugfix: Opening an RC file would cause the whole thing to crash. The reason is your mod of ResEd's Project.asm. In line 255, you have to change "pop edx" to "mov edx, lpFileName". Another thing which would (potentially) crash is GenericOpt.bas, line 70 - "(@CmdLine)" must be changed to plain "CmdLine".

May I publish a compiled version for others to use? I guess it will be helpful.

EDIT: Hm, I just realize you wrote "known to me", so you are not the author - who is it then?
EDIT2: Found another bug: Setting a new font which has more characters than the default font will corrupt memory. In my case it corrupted the color list's constants and I was unable to use the option dialog. It happened because the default font names (e.g. "Tahoma", "Terminal" - they are supposed to be constants) were just overwritten with the new ones, but on the same memory address! I changed it so the structure holds the whole string instead of a pointer, which also required changing the INI load/save methods, but: I was unable to figure out how this works with other strings, though... because from first glance it looks like all string loading would crash sooner or later...
Actually I am (co)initiator of that SVN repository. The original intension was to continue FBedit development, but unfortunately I've never really started doing that. The majority of changes was done by a user with the username "ur", who is not active in any of the freebasic online communities as far as I know, but I should have an E-Mail address somewhere.
The repository is located on Sebastian's FBP server. He has also set up the repo and also is the only person who can change access permissions or add accounts. You could write a mail to him - I'm sure he creates an account for you so you can commit. However, currently Sebastian seems to have a lot of other work to do as I haven't seen him for weeks on IRC, so it might take a while.

Another idea is creating a github repository and continuing there. The last commit to the svn repo was in september 2014 by "ur". We should notify him and the other committers in this case as far as possible.

The repo started with an already modified fbedit version by "ur". I guess he hadn't used a VCS before that, because he commented out old code and marked changes in the source. There are definitely some useful changes, but - as far as I remember - there were also some changes that seemed very specific for his use cases. Ideally the changes since the last "official" version should be reviewed.

I'm sure there's no problem with publishing new binaries as KetilO is inactive since years and the project is currently basically dead. I just wouldn't call them "official" builds.

If the build system is working I could add a job on my jenkins server, where the fbc nightly builds are built.
Lothar Schirm

Post by Lothar Schirm »

Are you working on a new official release of FBEdit? It would be useful to have a look at this tutorial on the german FreeBasic Portal: http://www.freebasic-portal.de/tutorial ... t-104.html. Maybe it could replace(?) the existing tutorial in FBEdit, and it contains a lot of very useful templates which might also be included into the FBEdit package.
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

I'm not working on anything official, I just figured that it might be useful to have new binaries with those fixes/additions, including my own. Especially after it was such a hassle to get this version compiled in the first place.

However, my version is not complete because I added variables in the path settings, but I didn't change the UI (which is currently a path selector) so one needs to edit the INI file manually...
sancho2

Post by sancho2 »

Cherry wrote:May I publish a compiled version for others to use? I guess it will be helpful.
Have you decided to publish that compiled version?
One problem I have with FBEdit is that autocomplete can only see one level deep into a UDT or class. It then actually interferes with the next level by bringing up the first level fields instead. Very annoying. Is this improved with the forked version?