JASC Soccer

Game development specific discussions.
badmrbox

Re: JASC Soccer

Post by badmrbox »

Wow, you sure have been doing stuff and things Pitto. Nice to see that the project is alive and well :)
Pitto

Post by Pitto »

Hi Badmrbox, thanks for the feedback.
At this moment I'm updating some team data that will be used in the game. I wish also add a behaviour editor in the main menu. It's really funny add further graphic and game elements.
Every change made will be released soon as possibile on Github.
I started this project for fun and I'm glad it begins to take shape and is appreciated.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

Hello Pitto,

I've tested this nice piece of work. More a debug version until now seemingly. It anyway inspired me a marketing plane for when you'll get the whole stuff finished and when you would have to distribute some package (and goodies!). --Feel free to reuse anything below in any manner.

Pitto

Post by Pitto »

Hi Tourist Trap, thank you for your graphic art, I really appreciate your initiative.

I'm glad to have inspired someone to create something for this little game.
I appreciate also you make plans for the future of Jasc. I'll greet you in next releases.

You give me an important idea: create a User Manual. To be honest I didn't planned yet to make exaustive documentation, maybe it will help both the developer (any help always welcome) and the user to understand better the game and how to modify and expand it.
Thank you again. Best regards.

P.S. If anyone has some custom team data (names, colors, values, bitmap etc…) to submit, his help is much appreciated.
petan

Post by petan »

Hi, Pitto.

Nice job, thx!
Seems working under linux (Slax).
For next versions It would be good to add :
- context help/manual on F1 keypress (unknown game control for novices),
- screensize selector (640x480 looks too small for my eyes) and
- fontsize selector (detto)
Pitto

Post by Pitto »

Hi Petan,
thanks for the feeback and thank you for the tips.
Contex Help: F1 for the context help is really a good idea. I'll improve it (hoping that my English be understandable).
From https://github.com/Pitto/Jasc-Soccer/wiki is available a user guide.
Screensize selector: until now could be changed only at compile time from const.bi file:

Code: Select all

const SCREEN_W as Integer = 640 
const SCREEN_H as Integer = 480
Fontsize: I'll think a bit

Thanks again.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

Pitto wrote:You give me an important idea: create a User Manual
I know very well SENSIBLE SOCCER for having played it for hours at the time. I had an A500, and later a A600. Excellent machine the A600, just a problem of kickstart compatibility with A500 but could be solved by booting from the proper disket.

This to say that, even if in the case of Sensible I can't remember anything particular about the manual, the good old times manual were very nice things. I can remember the microprose soccer's (world cup stuff) one for instance, with a very full quality insight on football international history.

For your case, what is needed first in my opinion is the player manual, unless you add it at run-time by F1 as suggested above. And of course, if you could give some detail about how the program itself is organized, it wouldn't be bad. I've tryed to read the code directly but I wasn't able to go very far exepted for the MAIN that is quite easy to read.
Pitto

Post by Pitto »

Hi Tourist Trap,

I'm writing a User manual available from GitHub project's page that explains how to play the game and also how the program works (I wish also improve code readability). Wiki is still under development, I will add further informations soon.

I've implemented the F1-contextual help... here's some screenshots:
http://pasteboard.co/Hmrs6R9.gif

If anyone wish edit some custom tactics his help is much appreciated.
Thank you for feedback. Feel free to submit your tips.

P.S. I had an A1200, an excellent machine too.
Pitto

JASC Soccer - Fmod

Post by Pitto »

Hi all,

I've updated a little this project adding sound effects, interfacing fmod audio library (Windows only).

I've not added yet this version to the main GitHub repository since I prefer use FBsound in the future (it should be compatible with GPL 2.0 license) and put self-made audio (or at least compatible with above license terms). The goal was to have quickly a version with audio mockups.

The menu music is "Pixel Peeker Polka - faster" by Kevin MacLeod, licensed under a Creative Commons

here's the link to this new version,:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5y0zf7jqnx9lv ... d.zip?dl=0

The main goal of further version will be (apart from audio support): player versus player option.

Any feedback is always welcome.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

@Pitto,
Very good!!
It seems that for anyone with a big computer screen could view whole play field without scrolling if the window size was selectable?
Pitto

Post by Pitto »

@BasicCoder2

Thanks for the tips. I've implemented the selection of the resolution from the main menu. Now it's possible select three resolution for the match display: 640x480; 800x600 and 1024x768.
Here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9vof6zggxadf2 ... l.zip?dl=0

To be honest I prefer the good old fullscreen 640 x 480, that's looks pretty close to the original SWOS game. Just my opinion ;)

If you would like enable the audio, uncomment line 40 and 41 in "main.bas".

I've been a little busy… I wish to continue to develop this funny project as time allows.

Any feedback is always welcome. Thanks to all.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

Pitto wrote:To be honest I prefer the good old fullscreen 640 x 480, that's looks pretty close to the original SWOS game. Just my opinion ;)
It was not so much the size of the screen more a matter of how much of the field could be seen at once. In real life you see all the field and for some reason I like it that way. I was actually thinking of the goals being on the left and right of the playing field not the top and bottom. However googling SWOS Game I see that you have made a clone. Not that I know anything about soccer I just liked the idea of AI agents playing the game by themselves so I just put it in the PC v PC mode. Your game looks very professional and you have nailed the graphics perfectly.
Pitto

Post by Pitto »

Hi BasicCoder2,

thank you for your compliments.
The idea that the user may select horizontal or vertical playfield is good. I'll add it to the todo list.

The first (public) release of Jasc was pretty close to your idea. In that old release (I suppose 0.17) the playfield was horizontal, there was only CPU vs CPU option, but there was only one tactic available (4-4-2). I did also an isometric version but it was really poor.
Here's a link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s1ib4tz34mbrj ... 7.zip?dl=0
Compile it without -exx option, I didn't do an array bound checking.

Since current version (0.25.7) is still a debug version, it is possible howerer change the behavior of the players going on "edit behaviour" from main menu. This section has a poor UI, but it was developed only for debug purpouses.
  • Arrow keys - move the ball
    Enter - Edit mode on/off
    "S" or "CTRL+S" - Save data
While in edit mode...
  • cursor up/down......select a behavior
    cursor left/right...change percentage
In this editor the direction of the attack is top-down (down there's the opponent net).
The sum is of overall behaviour percentage remains always 100%.
Pitto

Post by Pitto »

Ops, I've linked the incorrect file. I have already corrected it in the post above.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

Yes that is it. Love it. 800x600 is just right for my laptop screen dimensions.
Inspired by your original posts I tried to make a soccer game although my interest was purely in the AI involved and the characters were just circles. As a result I appreciate the effort you must have put in to get the little players doing their thing.
The edit tactic and/or behavior looks interesting but I wasn't sure about how you use it. Did the original have that option? I would probably have to learn about soccer and how the game is played to understand it.