Where can I get a Recent-Git-Build of FreeBASIC?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
St_W

Re: Where can I get a Recent-Git-Build of FreeBASIC?

Post by St_W »

For some reason MinGW/MSYS crashed nearly all the time (e.g. when launching bash, ls, ...) since yesterday on my build machine with the following output:
0 [main] us 0 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to us.stackdump
0 [main] bash 3368 sync_with_child: child 3316(0x240) died before initialization with status code 0xFF
54 [main] bash 3368 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmp
C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 8.0\temp\hudson9083293572581820881.sh: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
A system restart fixed the problem.
However, I have no idea what caused that error. Maybe anyone was facing a similar error already and could tell me more?
St_W

Post by St_W »

St_W wrote:[...], but maybe we should take a look at Travis CI, which is a free hosted solution for open source projects (so Travis CI is available as a cloud service, while the Jenkins server is hosted on my own hardware). I've no experience with Travis CI, however, and I don't know whether the build environment needed for FreeBasic is supported. e.g. it only provides MacOSX and Linux platforms, so DOS and Windows are not available there.
I noticed that dkl got Travis-CI builds running recently :-)
I tried to do so a while ago, but couldn't manage to get it running, so I'm happy to see that it works now.
It's not a replacement for nightly builds in its current implementation (and I don't know whether it's intended to be) as it currently doesn't deploy build artifacts and only compiles for Linux (as far as I see), so I'll leave my Jenkins Server as-is for now. I think it's rather intended to run all the compiler tests in an automated way and inside a well-defined environment.

Btw my Jenkins Server isn't reachable from outside currently, but that doesn't affect it's main task: uploading new builds to http://users.freebasic-portal.de/stw/builds/, so I haven't looked at the problem in greater detail yet. //edit: fixed

//edit: forgot a link. This is what I'm talking about:
https://travis-ci.org/dkl/fbc
St_W

Post by St_W »

@dkl:
Unfortunately a recent commit broke my automated documentation build (http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopi ... 23#p223023):
"doc: Download pages for backup based on index "
https://github.com/freebasic/fbc/commit ... 753aac1844

The source of the problem is that the program "getpage" fails to download wiki pages which seem to be empty when viewed in a browser. Here are some examples:
http://www.freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.php ... ttingRules
http://www.freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.php ... deLibSound
http://www.freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.php ... dvectorize

The failure to download those pages is probably no problem as such, but it causes the getpage tool to ask for a user input after it finishes downloading - and that is a problem for automation as it waits forever for a user input whether to retry downloading the failed pages.

Solutions I can think of spontaneously:
Solution #1: fix getpage so that it does not fail when it wants to download these pages
Solution #2: change getpage so that it defaults to some selection after some time instead of waiting forever
Solution #3: try to pipe a key input to the tool like "echo -ne n | getpage ..."
Solution #4: add a getpage parameter to skip the user input in the makefile and in getpage

Maybe a combination of #1 and #2 would make sense?
dkl
Site Admin

Post by dkl »

FB should work with latest DJGPP now again. It seems that the problem was the use of __builtin_floorl() in the FB rtlib, which older DJGPP gcc (I tested 4.7.3) compiled to floor() under -O2, but the new gcc (I tested 6.2.0) compiles it to floorl(), which DJGPP libc/libm does not provide.

I've also adjusted the getpage tool and "make refresh" command to stop querying user input.
St_W

Post by St_W »

dkl wrote:I've also adjusted the getpage tool and "make refresh" command to stop querying user input.
Thank You; I've reverted my build script to use "make refresh" again.

Last weekend I've updated VirtualBox to v5.1 and again had to update the "virtualbox" Jenkins Plugin for the new VirtualBox version. If you're interested you can find the patched plugin here: https://github.com/swurzinger/virtualbox-plugin
I also updated Win10 to the latest version because the PC did freeze randomly several times in the last weeks. I hope this fixed the problem - let's see.
//EDIT: unfortunately the PC still freezes randomly. Seems to be a common problem with the latest Win10 version according to various tech-magazines. As of now I can't do anything except waiting for Microsoft to publish an update/fix. Due to that issue nightly builds may be delayed for roughly up to a week as long as the issue remains.

I haven't upgraded to the latest DJGPP version yet but planned to do so.
fxm

Post by fxm »

@St_W:
Is the build for documentation always manually (the last change is missing)?
St_W

Post by St_W »

fxm wrote:@St_W:
Is the build for documentation always manually (the last change is missing)?
No, the build should be triggered automatically. Currently it works like this:
It downloads the RSS-feed from http://freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.php?wak ... hanges.xml and gets the Date+Time of the latest change via XPath "//pubDate[1]". If that value changes a build is triggered. The polling happens once a day (currently at 03:00 GMT+2 during the night).

I guess the last change was missed because of the system freezes (followed by a hard reset) in the last days/weeks.
Anyway, I triggered a manual build that should be finished and uploaded soon.
fxm

Post by fxm »

Thanks from all users.
fxm

Post by fxm »

The build for documentation did not work again this night.
St_W

Post by St_W »

fxm wrote:The build for documentation did not work again this night.
Yes, I know, the PC froze again several times last week :-(

I triggered a manual documentation build yesterday evening, which ran through successfully.

Unfortunately I haven't a clue what causes those annoying system freezes. I don't even know whether it's a hardware or a software issue.
I've no idea how to diagnose it as it occurs seemingly randomly. Two weeks ago there wasn't a freeze during the whole week while there were several freezes previous week. At first I though a windows update caused the issues, but I'm not sure about that at all anymore.

I'd be happy about any hint that helps me to solve this problem.
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

Is your build environment a virtual server/machine with linux In this case what are the last kernel log before it froze ?
(I mean command dmesg)

Joshy
Last edited by D.J.Peters on Oct 27, 2016 17:39, edited 1 time in total.
St_W

Post by St_W »

No its a normal Windows 10 x64 machine because creating FreeBasic builds isn't it's sole purpose - it's also used as a normal workstation. It is running Apache, Tomcat, Jenkins and quite a lot of other things. Non-native (DOS, Linux, FreeBSD) builds are executed in VirtualBox VMs, which are started/stopped automatically.

.. and it's offline again :-(
I'm mainly using TeamViewer for remote administration.
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

Does it freez if virtual box are running any OS or Windows 10 it self stops ?

Joshy
St_W

Post by St_W »

D.J.Peters wrote:Does it freez if virtual box are running any OS or Windows 10 it self stops ?
I don't think that it's related to VirtualBox because the VMs are only started when there's something new to build. As FB isn't updated that often there were weeks without any FB updates (and thus no builds and no running VMs) but the PC still froze. Nethertheless, I'm not totally sure about all that.

I reset the PC yesterday evening, disabled all energy-saving stuff and stopped VirtualBox Webserver (the service that controls headless Vbox VMs). Let's see whether that changes anything.
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

I was run in to trouble with the networks driver that comes with VirtualBox.

If you google you are not alone with freezing Windows 10 as host of VirtualBox !

Joshy