WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V3.1.0 June 4, 2023)

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
PaulSquires

Re: WinFBE FreeBASIC Editor for Windows

Post by PaulSquires »

Thanks St_W, appreciate the feedback. Codetips are next to be implemented. You can turn off that modal compile success dialog. It is an environment option.For some reason I didn't realize that GitHub had that release functionality... maybe I just didn't look in the right place. My first time using GitHub.
St_W

Post by St_W »

PaulSquires wrote:[...]You can turn off that modal compile success dialog. It is an environment option.
Yes, I saw that. I though of something like the notification-popups here: https://github.com/TypeStrong/atom-type ... ld-support or I also like the progress bar popup of QtCreator, that turns red in case of errors: https://challenge.toradex.com/projects/ ... on-results (second screenshot, lower right corner).

For the search box see e.g. http://www.kunal-chowdhury.com/2011/02/ ... tudio.html or https://spasol.wordpress.com/2012/09/12 ... udio-2012/
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

St_W wrote:
PaulSquires wrote:[...]You can turn off that modal compile success dialog. It is an environment option.
Yes, I saw that. I though of something like the notification-popups here: https://github.com/TypeStrong/atom-type ... ld-support or I also like the progress bar popup of QtCreator, that turns red in case of errors: https://challenge.toradex.com/projects/ ... on-results (second screenshot, lower right corner).

For the search box see e.g. http://www.kunal-chowdhury.com/2011/02/ ... tudio.html or https://spasol.wordpress.com/2012/09/12 ... udio-2012/
I have implemented a visual notification in the statusbar. Similar to what I did with JellyFB Editor. "Compiling..." will show there and then present a green icon for successful compile or a red icon for unsuccessful. Following the icon is a the number of errors and/or warnings and the date/time of the compile.

I have also looked at your suggestions for less unobtrusive Find/Replace dialogs. I really like the look at feel of the way that it is implemented in the Visual Studio Code Editor. I will be creating code to emulate that functionality because it is pretty good. I also like the separate facility to search/replace in all files.
ur_naz

Post by ur_naz »

Failed te start IDE. Message is 'Localization file could not be loaded. Aborting application. C:WinFBE\Languages\english.lang'
Both win32 & win64. =(
english.lang exist in that directory
sancho2

Post by sancho2 »

Hello:
I have downloaded and I am trying it out. I will post everything I find including very minor issues if that is OK with you.

The fold margin doesn't always display the folding icons.
To replicate this issue load a large code file with many folding sections. Go to the view menu and environment options. Unselect to show left margin and close the options window. Scroll with the mouse wheel down your code and you will see that the code folding icons are missing. Select show left margin again and they will appear.

By the way it installs and runs smoothly and looks good. I changed the color scheme to what I like.
sancho2

Post by sancho2 »

The function list seems to retain functions from files that have been removed from the project. When you click on one of these functions, it loads into the editor, and it re-adds the file to the project.

WinFBE crashed on closing. To replicate this error:
Open a project. Add a new code file to it. Without changing anything else select exit. This results in a crash. It also erases the project file which is a pretty serious issue.

I am using Win10.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

ur_naz wrote:Failed te start IDE. Message is 'Localization file could not be loaded. Aborting application. C:WinFBE\Languages\english.lang'
Both win32 & win64. =(
english.lang exist in that directory
When the editor starts up it looks for the default language file as specified by the user. The default is "English.lang".

I expect that you may have not unzipped the GitHub download file specifying to preserve the directory structures?

The structure should be:

\install folder
..\Languages
..\Sample_Projects
..\Settings
..\Templates

The english.lang is located in the "Languages" sub-folder.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

sancho2 wrote: The fold margin doesn't always display the folding icons.
To replicate this issue load a large code file with many folding sections. Go to the view menu and environment options. Unselect to show left margin and close the options window. Scroll with the mouse wheel down your code and you will see that the code folding icons are missing. Select show left margin again and they will appear.
Right you are. I can reproduce the same issue. Interesting behaviour. Some folding symbols remain while others as you scroll down simply disappear. I will also check Scintilla's website to see if this is/was a bug. The editor is not using the most recent Scintilla editing DLL.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

sancho2 wrote:The function list seems to retain functions from files that have been removed from the project. When you click on one of these functions, it loads into the editor, and it re-adds the file to the project.
Thanks - yes, I can also reproduce this behaviour. This needs to be fixed. The functions appear to remain even though the file is no longer part of the project.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

sancho2 wrote:WinFBE crashed on closing. To replicate this error:
Open a project. Add a new code file to it. Without changing anything else select exit. This results in a crash. It also erases the project file which is a pretty serious issue.
I have NOT been able to replicate a crash on Win7 32-bit. I will try this evening on my Win10 64-bit laptop.

You are using Win10. Is it the 32 or 64 version (or both) of the WinFBE exe that is exhibiting the crash?
Mysoft

Post by Mysoft »

lol even on freebasic forum there are losers who are so idiots that can't make programs that work on lastest version of windows... i.e. windows XP... no wonder everytime i come here... the number of idiots just increased from the previous time...
sancho2

Post by sancho2 »

@Paul Squires: WinFBE 32 bit.
Open a new project and then under the 'File' menu select new file. Then again under the file menu select exit.

It actual zeros out the project file but leaves file on the directory. This suggests that the project file is left open/modified during a coding session. This maybe a real issue even after solving this IDE crash, as other factors might shut the users computer down mid session. I would hate to have a large project file zero'd. Maybe a backup created on opening a project?
Last edited by sancho2 on Dec 06, 2016 2:34, edited 1 time in total.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

Mysoft wrote:lol even on freebasic forum there are losers who are so idiots that can't make programs that work on lastest version of windows... i.e. windows XP... no wonder everytime i come here... the number of idiots just increased from the previous time...
Not sure I understand the intent of your post. Are you saying that because I built this program to purposely use new Windows api's that I am a fellow and an bright? If that's the case then you sir are an <insert derogatory adjective here>. I certainly don't have to defend my programming reputation to you.
sancho2

Post by sancho2 »

I edited my previous post and posted it at the same time as you posted. This is just to let you know if you missed the edit, that there is additional info in my previous post.
Thanks.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

sancho2 wrote:@Paul Squires: WinFBE 32 bit.
Open a new project and then under the 'File' menu select new file. Then again under the file menu select exit.

It actual zeros out the project file but leaves file on the directory. This suggests that the project file is left open/modified during a coding session. This maybe a real issue even after solving this IDE crash, as other factors might shut the users computer down mid session. I would hate to have a large project file zero'd. Maybe a backup created on opening a project?
Thanks sancho2, I appreciate your help on this. I can not recreate the GPF or the zeroing of the project file (at least not yet). I have tried on Win10 using WinFBE 32-bit. The project file is not left open. It is simply opened, info written, and finally closed (the code is in clsConfig.inc). A new project should create a simple 1K disk file. I have noticed however that a blank filename gets written to the project file under your scenario. I will fix that and see if it helps with the problem. I will also continue to try to recreate the problem. If I can recreate the GPF then it will make it much easier to solve.

I also remember that in an earlier post that you have changed many settings. Maybe you can post the contents of your WinFBE.ini file so I can use it. Maybe it is the writing of the config file that could be the problem (given that your settings would be different than mine). It's probably worth a shot if for no other reason than to rule it out as the problem.