QBasic Games Directory old website resurrected

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Lachie Dazdarian

QBasic Games Directory old website resurrected

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

If anyone is still interested in reminiscing the old QBasic games, allow me to inform you that the QBGD website is back up, thanks to Plasma.

http://games.phatcode.net/index.php

I don't plan to do any major things with the website, but I anyone has any ideas, wishes, contact me.

Cheers!

Yeah, I'm still alive, but out of game dev for years. Hoping to get back...some day...somehow. Hope all of you are fine.
St_W

Re: QBasic Games Directory old website resurrected

Post by St_W »

Thank you for preserving these old games. Nowadays probably most of the original websites are not available anymore.

btw I just recently I wondererd whether you may still have a recent version of this: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=188.0 as the version in the FB games archive seems to be only a very early version.

Ideally we would have such an archive not only for QB/FB games, but also for FB code of other kinds as many projects of earlier days get lost over time.
Jonge

Post by Jonge »

Glad to see you're still around =) Same as you I hope to some day get back to some gamedev again
Lachie Dazdarian

St_W, I managed to dig up this copy on my old HD backup. Compiled on 23.05.2008. It doesn't seem to be the latest latest version. Ran on my Windows 8.1 OS!

Download: http://games.freebasic.net/Moon-Project.rar
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

Can you update the broken link to VDMSound 2.1.0 and boot98sc.exe ?

the other links works: CPU Grabber, VDMSound Patch, emsmagic10.zip ...

Thank you

Joshy
Adigun A. Polack

Post by Adigun A. Polack »

First of all Lachie, a most SPLENDID welcome-back to you indeed; I missed you like crazy, man!!! ;*) Secondly, I fully appreciate you bringing back your wonderful QBasic Games Directory site for all of us here in the FreeBASIC community, as it quite gives us a chance to relive our gaming memories of yesteryear about when QB-made games were quite the serious plain business for us back in those days of the 1990s and the early 2000s... and as such, I am hugely quite grateful to you for reviving your site. THANK YOU so much from the bottom of my heart. (^-^)v !!

And in case you are wondering what I am currently doing (as well as how I too have returned to our FreeBASIC community since the very, very beginning of 2016!), well, I have actually been working throughout the entire 2016 year on an all-important truecolor 2d game-creation library for both the 32- and 64-bit editions of FreeBASIC, called AFlib III (or Aura Flow Library 3), in which I am at the master-helm of making it all happen for you and all of our entire FB community in order to revive and ignite the entire fiery passion of creating tons of phenomenal new games in FB in all of us indeed while undoubtedly making game creation a whole lot seriously easier and hella fun like never, EVER before!! ^^ If you want to check out my progress so far and how it is doing, please go right here at once where it brings you to a download of it for you to try out and richly enjoy, where the current pre-release version as of this writing is v0.93b.

And in 2017 right now, Lachie, talking of AFlib III, I am currently working on adding even more new custom palettes, as well as cooking up a special built-in tileset map editor and a font editor that WILL be included and more in this FB-created game-creation lib before it becomes finished and ready for a full-on complete official v1.0 release — complete .PDF documentation and everything! And I am rather definitely continuing to create it all even as we speak, too.

Just thought I want to share it all with you as I welcome you back to our FreeBASIC community, man. And boy, have I missed you so much as well or what!? I mean, FANTASTIC to have you back!!! ;)
Lachie Dazdarian

Hi D.J.Peters. Thanks for pointing that out. Fixed.

Fixed!

Oh, hi Adigun. Great to see you back in the community. Thanks for the kind words.

Looking forward to your v.1.0 release of AFlib III. I actually might end up using it. I'm thinking heavily into returning to game dev, albeit in a different environment because I would like to reach a bigger audience and basically learn more than BASIC, but just to get back in the groove I will prolly want to design few more smaller games in FB. That is if I ever get back to game dev. Pursuing some other hobbies, but still failing to find proper work-free time balance.

BTW, are you on Facebook? Would love to hook with you. Who are you? :)
Adigun A. Polack

Post by Adigun A. Polack »

From your latest post in this thread, Lachie, you wrote:Oh, hi Adigun. Great to see you back in the community. Thanks for the kind words.

Looking forward to your v.1.0 release of AFlib III. I actually might end up using it. I'm thinking heavily into returning to game dev, albeit in a different environment because I would like to reach a bigger audience and basically learn more than BASIC, but just to get back in the groove I will prolly want to design few more smaller games in FB. That is if I ever get back to game dev. Pursuing some other hobbies, but still failing to find proper work-free time balance.

BTW, are you on Facebook? Would love to hook with you. Who are you? :)
First of all, Lachie my excellent man, I am not on Facebook currently... in fact, I have not even signed on an account of my own to it yet, sadly. But, I am planning to sign up for a Twitter account soon that is specially dedicated to AFlib III and possibly to my own original pixel-art that I will be creating myself beginning this year. I will let you know on that so that you can hook me up there, ok please? Lot of serious plans here, to this end. :D

And I truly thank you so much for your quite awesome support on my AFlib III; rather much appreciated indeed!!! Furthermore, since you are seriously planning to get back in the rather swing of things in returning to game development yourself, I want to quite personally wish you such absolute good fortune and success to you on that, especially in your next new games created in FreeBASIC this current new year here also. And you know something right from the heart, man: there needs to be A LOT more quality new games in FB indeed in 2017 and beyond just like in the heyday of 2005-2012 where there were so many, many new ones coming in left and right, including some heavy-hitting greats like Lynn’s Legacy, The Griffon Legend, Prompt Critical, and even Y.A.G.A.C. to name just a few from quite back then. The entire FreeBASIC games community needs to be wholly revived to full strength, and it *can* successfully be done in even much greater length than ever when we as one together get so excited and inspired most awesomely into creating/releasing games of top, top quality again that adheres to true high standards just like we did in the past. That is quite one of the major reasons why I am doing AFlib III indeed for all of you amazing guys, and also for the retro-/indie-game enthusiast at heart, too!!! (^-^)=b !!

Also, I really and most genuinely missed your quite excellent FreeBASIC-/QuickBASIC-/QB64-based online magazine series called “BASIC Gamer”, which amassed a grand total of nine (9) complete issues so far if I remember right... and all those original issues of yours were released between July 31st, 2011 and November 30th, 2012, in this order:
...and the links in this post leading up to all the nine issues are there as a major interest to our whole entire FB community to clearly reflect back on how impressive a quite splendid job you did with your own original games magazine series right there... you know what, Lachie: “BASIC Gamer” deserves to come back in 2017 with brand-new issues aplenty created by you in terms of what is currently going on in the world of FreeBASIC 32- and 64-bit, QuickBASIC/QBasic, and QB64 in terms of the very latest game developments and all. And believe me, we in our FB community would really, really love to see it come back as it was simply one of the most brightest stars in our own community indeed, bar none!!! ^-^ !!

New year, absolutely brilliant new future for us all!!!
commandvom

Post by commandvom »

Hi lachie, hi FreeBasic community!

How are you?

I am glad that this is giving a return in the world of qbasic development!
Several times I wanted to know about you to tell how I followed the development
of my project GUERREROS-QB, but I did not decide to write or contact via Facebook.

Here I leave a link at indiedb about my project:

http://www.indiedb.com/games/guerreros-qb

and at FB:

https://www.facebook.com/aetricia/

Soon i send you a singleplayer demo! use the old yahoo account?

Saludos! sorry my english!

PD: Quote Adigun A. Polack:

"... you know what, Lachie: “BASIC Gamer” deserves to come back in 2017 with brand-new issues aplenty created by you in terms of what is currently going on in the world of FreeBASIC 32- and 64-bit, QuickBASIC/QBasic, and QB64 in terms of the very latest game developments and all..."
Lachie Dazdarian

I rememeber GUERREROS-QB. Would love to play a demo. Yep, still on yahoo mail.
ecxjoe

Post by ecxjoe »

This is awesome. Thanks Lachie!