eliminating windows bg services...

General FreeBASIC programming questions.
Ophelius

eliminating windows bg services...

Post by Ophelius »

is there any way to run a FB application so it automatically halts/pauses all unnessesary bg services? it causes jerkyness for my scolling engine (i.e. when the HD is being accessed by other applications.) ahhh, how i miss the dos age, no jerkyness.
cha0s
Site Admin

Post by cha0s »

i have not tried playing with threads yet, but it sounds like you need to open a thread and make it "high priority" or something.. i don't know much about winapi, someone else here will know better
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

Look in the Freebasic/examples folder for Threads.bas

You don't need the WinAPI for it Cha0s. FB can make it's own threads.
Ophelius

Post by Ophelius »

ok, i read a bit about threads, i have a few questions. Does creating a thread for a function allow that function to be processed in paralel with other functions? If so, wouldn't background processes still interfere? Would I be able to thread my entire program so nothing interferes with it? that wold be nice. I'll need more examples of how to implement threads though, and a bit more about threads in general. Anybody know any good tutorials, preferably for FB?
Mysoft

Post by Mysoft »

you can change the priority of your main program, but be caution with 100% cpu usage, that can cause instability...

in windows...

Code: Select all

#include "windows.bi"
SetPriorityClass(GetCurrentProcess, HIGH_PRIORITY_CLASS)
' and continue with the program
windows have a thing called priority booster that can mix up things, but increasing priority is a good solution, in many cases.
Ophelius

Post by Ophelius »

damn, the windows include file conflicts with the allegro include with the BITMAP structure and other things. I might have to rename them all. Unless someone knows another way around this? I've looked into the windows include file and noticed there's probably many of those secondary include files that I don't need in order to use SetPriorityClass. Maybe omiting the ones i don't need will solve this.
cha0s
Site Admin

Post by cha0s »

try this instead of

#Include "windows.bi"
do this

#IncLib "kernel32"

Declare Function SetPriorityClass Alias "SetPriorityClass" (ByVal As Any Ptr, ByVal As uinteger) As Integer
Declare Function GetCurrentProcess Alias "GetCurrentProcess" () As Any Ptr
Ophelius

Post by Ophelius »

great, that worked, but it didn't solve the issue unfortunately. The scrolling is still jerky. Maybe it's just my $%#@ computer.
cha0s
Site Admin

Post by cha0s »

your code *may* be bugged to create this behavior, if you post source, people could test it out and let you know
Ophelius

Post by Ophelius »

I don't think it's my source. It's jerky because of random HD accesses Windows makes in the BG. It's smooth when the HD isn't being accessed.
Mysoft

Post by Mysoft »

Ophelius wrote:I don't think it's my source. It's jerky because of random HD accesses Windows makes in the BG. It's smooth when the HD isn't being accessed.
hum.. the HD acess isnt part of your program? well, if you use XP and your ram are above of 256mb, it can be a program that you have installed into your computer that are making those HD acess, but yes, windows have almost highest priority when acess HD, but the access is trough DMA, then the amount of data that you hd are acessing in this random time are big, or the program is in an high priority, you can search for that program in the TASKMGR (ctrl+alt+del), ^^