Cannot update page on wiki

Forum for discussion about the documentation project.
AGS

Cannot update page on wiki

Post by AGS »

Many years ago I wrote a (very, very bad) FB grammar. And I put it online in the wiki. It never ended up as part of the officially released documentation (it wasn't linked to any section because somehow I knew the grammar was cr.p).

I am working on a new version of the FB grammar. And I would like to remove the old one (for now I'd like to replace it with the message 'under construction'). But I cannot log in to the wiki any more. I recently changed my password (and the mailadress associated with my account). And for some reason I cannot log in to the wiki any more. If you look at the page index my wikki - name (AgSwikki) somehow shows up as an uregistered user (my user name isn't an url).

I thought you could use your forum name/password to log in to the wiki so I tried my current forum password. But that does not work. And when using the Password forgotten dialog I do not get the password reminder (mail).

So.... where do I go from here? Am I doing something wrong? And if not then who can fix the problem? I would really like to remove that nasty FB grammar.
St_W

Re: Cannot update page on wiki

Post by St_W »

AGS wrote:If you look at the page index my wikki - name (AgSwikki) somehow shows up as an uregistered user (my user name isn't an url).
That only means that no user-page exists AFAIK. Maybe you could also try to login as "AGS" (I have for some reason two accounts: "StWwikki" and "St_W")
AGS wrote:I would really like to remove that nasty FB grammar.
Anybody with a wiki account can probably do that. However, is none better than the current one? (until the new one is finished; assuming that it will be finished)

I remember a FB grammar being posted on the forums a long time ago, I guess that was you?
AGS

Post by AGS »

St_W wrote:
AGS wrote:I would really like to remove that nasty FB grammar.
Anybody with a wiki account can probably do that. However, is none better than the current one? (until the new one is finished; assuming that it will be finished)

I remember a FB grammar being posted on the forums a long time ago, I guess that was you?
Chances are it was me who posted the grammar on the forum.

The idea of someome else changing the page (as long as I don't have access to the wiki) is a good idea. Assuming you have access to the wiki: could you delete the contents of the grammar page and set the content to 'under construction' (page need not be removed as a new grammar will be posted in the nearby future).

The page is located at
https://www.freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.ph ... =FbGrammar

However, is none better than the current one? (until the new one is finished; assuming that it will be finished)
The grammar that I posted on the wiki was 'untested', very incomplete and very inexact.

Back then I did not go through the trouble of turning the grammar into a working parser. And I did not use a tool to check the grammar for coorrectness. I should have done a better job checking the grammar to ensure that
--> all nonterminals used in the rhs of a rule are defined somewhere in the grammar
--> all terminals used in the rhs of a rule are defined in the grammar
--> there are no unused nonterminals/terminals in the grammar
--> etc... etc....

This time around I will perform some solid checking on the correctness of the grammar. And I will create a parser based on the grammar capable of parsing fb code. The parser generated will most likely allow for some illegal constructs the fbc would not allow. But that is to be expected.

To show you how bad the grammar is go the the fbgrammar page and look at the namespace production (italic = link to nonterminal)

namespace_statement : namespace identifier (alias string_literal)? (declaration | namespace_statement)* end namespace

When you click on the non - terminal declaration nothing happens. It is a dead link. declaration has not been defined anywhere in the grammar. The same goes for the non - terminal program (at the top of the page).

A new grammar is in the making and I am confident it will both look better and define the FB language more concise.

Using AGS to log in did not work. The user AgSwikki is a known user (which is the name I always used to log in on the wiki) but as stated in an earlier message I cannot reset the password associated with that user and my current forum password is not accepted.

Thanks in advance for setting the content of the wiki fbgrammar page to "under construction".
fxm

Post by fxm »

FbGrammar → fxm [Page under construction]
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

I've said in another thread (somewhere), I can now create users in the wiki.
I can also update passwords - they are stored as (optionally salted) md5s.
So possibly the simplest thing is to give me the md5 of a temporary password you want, and I can update the pasword for the 'AgSwikki' account.
(Just make sure you don't include any linebreaks in the hash.)
AGS

Post by AGS »

fxm wrote:FbGrammar → fxm [Page under construction]
Thank you for updating the page, fxm.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

@AGS, what do you want to do with FbGrammar page? The fbdoc manual generator supports only a handful of styles. The embedded HTML just passes through to the TXT doc generator and will show <style...> as part of the document. Can the usable styles (see FBWikiFormatting) achieve what you want? What is your criteria for styles on the FbGrammar page?