WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V3.1.0 June 4, 2023)

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
cbruce

Re: WinFBE FreeBASIC Editor for Windows (Updated April 19, 2018)

Post by cbruce »

Thanks Paul...

btw... When I'm using the dryer in the house I code everything as functions for the same reason as you.

But when I'm hanging my laundry outside to dry, I go ahead and use subs so that I don't have to comment each of those functions with "this return value is unused" for other people to see when they are staring at my undies on the line. [grin]
PaulSquires

Re: WinFBE FreeBASIC Editor for Windows (Updated May 26, 2018)

Post by PaulSquires »

Version 1.6.1 (May 26, 2018)
- Added: Help/About now shows if running 32 or 64 bit version of WinFBE.
- Fixed: Explorer treeview and popup Function List were not displaying SUB routines.
- Fixed: Autoinsert was testing for AutoIndent config flag rather than AutoComplete flag.

https://github.com/PaulSquires/WinFBE/releases
PaulSquires

Re: WinFBE FreeBASIC Editor for Windows (Updated May 27, 2018)

Post by PaulSquires »

Version 1.6.2 (May 27, 2018)
- Fixed: Conflicting issue with AutoComplete and AutoIndent config flags.

PaulSquires

Re: WinFBE Editor for Windows and Compiler (Updated June 2, 2018)

Post by PaulSquires »

The latest version of WinFBE 1.6.3 is now available. I have also included the first try at creating an all in one integrated editor/compiler/tool suite. It is attached to the release and is in the 50 MB range. It contains the latest WinFBE, latest FBC nightly build, latest WinFBX (Jose's Afx includes), User Tools, and Hep files. Everything is pre-configured so you "should be" able to simply download the archive, unzip it, and start either the 32 or 64 bit version of the editor, compile, and success.

Please let me know if it works okay and if there is anything else that should be included in the package.

Version 1.6.3 (June 2, 2018)
- Added: WinFBE_Suite package as an attached binary release. Includes all-in-one package to start coding immediately. Editor, compiler, help files, include files.
- Added: Automatically create and use preparsed sub/function definitions from the compiler's \inc folders. The database is stored in the "settings" folder in files "preparse_timestamps.ini" and "preparse_database.ini".
- Added: French language localization file. Thanks to Marc Pons.
- Changed: If option to display Codetips is OFF, then files are not parsed for anything other than Subs/Functions.
- Fixed: Regression adding incorrect leading spaces for IF/THEN autoinsert blocks.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Sorry Paul.

Downloaded WinFBE_Suite package and pinned the WinFBE32.exe to my Start10 Menu - I don't use the Windows Start Menu. First source code compile I got 'Invalid defined compiler path' for both FB32 and FB64.

Ran WinFBE32 from the WinFBE_Suite directory and got the same issue.

Win 10 Pro.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

deltarho[1859] wrote:Sorry Paul.

Downloaded WinFBE_Suite package and pinned the WinFBE32.exe to my Start10 Menu - I don't use the Windows Start Menu. First source code compile I got 'Invalid defined compiler path' for both FB32 and FB64.

Ran WinFBE32 from the WinFBE_Suite directory and got the same issue.

Win 10 Pro.
Thanks David, you're absolutely correct. I have now added a check for a compiler defined relative path and, if true, convert it to the proper absolute path. I have re-uploaded the WinFBE_Suite.rar package to the release.

If you would be so kind to redownload and try it again, I'd appreciate your success/failure report.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Success. <smile>
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Not quite. I had not gotten round to adding '-gen gcc -Wc -O3'.

There is no gcc.exe in the bin\win32 directory. There was a few other files missing as well so I copied the missing files from my "C:\Program Files (x86)\FreeBASIC" installation. However, CreateProcess was not found. So, gas 32 but no gcc 32.

FB64 is OK.

Just my luck - 99% of my stuff is gcc 32. <laugh>
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

deltarho[1859] wrote:Not quite. I had not gotten round to adding '-gen gcc -Wc -O3'.

There is no gcc.exe in the bin\win32 directory. There was a few other files missing as well so I copied the missing files from my "C:\Program Files (x86)\FreeBASIC" installation. However, CreateProcess was not found. So, gas 32 but no gcc 32.

FB64 is OK.

Just my luck - 99% of my stuff is gcc 32. <laugh>
Thanks for the follow up. I don't used gcc for 32 bit output so it wasn't part of my toolchain. I will add it. If you can remember if there were any other major files that you needed but were missing then just let me know and I will add them as well.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

I have updated the WinFBE_Suite.rar download to include the 32-bit GCC output toolchain. You should now be able to use the -gcc compiler flag for 32-bit compiles.
PaulSquires

Re: WinFBE FreeBASIC Editor for Windows (Updated April 19, 2018)

Post by PaulSquires »

PaulSquires wrote:
cbruce wrote:.
Is there a way to get the actual fbc.exe compiler command line that WinFBE is generating to compile my program?

I don't think there is an existing option anywhere for that is there?

Thanks!
No, sorry. I don't think there is any built in way where the actual compile commands are displayed. The main routine fr initiating the compile is RedirConsoleToFile which is in the modCompile.inc file. That routine uses CreateProcess to invoke the compiler and pass it the necessary options. CreatePipe is used to capture the console screen output in order to react to compile errors, etc.
Silly me. For some reason I was thinking that you wanted your application to be able to have access the compile options. However, if all you want to do is see the actual commands that were used by the compiler, assembler, and linker, then you simply need to look at the compiler log file. Select "View Output Window" from the "View" menu and click on the "Compiler Log File" tab.
deltarho[1859]

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (Updated June 3, 2018)

Post by deltarho[1859] »

PaulSuires wrote:I have updated the WinFBE_Suite.rar download to include the 32-bit GCC output toolchain. You should now be able to use the -gcc compiler flag for 32-bit compiles.
Thanyou.

I did have both FB32 V1.05 and V1.06 but only FB64 V1.05. I didn't get around to FB64 V1.06.

The latest St_W builds for FB32 do not include gcc so we had to 'pull them' from the "Program Files (x86)" installation.

What I was not aware of was that the St_W builds for FB64 do include gcc and are different to my original FB64 download.

This is what I am getting from one of my binaries (-gen gcc -Wc -O3):

Code: Select all

1.05   1.06
32 152064 153600
64 153600 147456 
This is the first time that I have seen a FB64 V1.06.

It seems to me that FB64 V1.06 is bang up to date in all respects.

It is difficult to fathom out because all of the gcc 'stuff' are almost bereft of any information in their property sheets so no idea what versions they are. I find that very strange but there must be a reason for it.

Interesting. <smile>
St_W

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (Updated June 3, 2018)

Post by St_W »

The default backend for FB32 is still GAS, that's why my 32-bit builds don't contain gcc (just like the official 32-bit FB 1.05 package, which doesn't contain gcc neither). However, an official gcc "add-on" package is provided: "gcc-5.2.0-for-FB-win32-gengcc.zip" https://sourceforge.net/projects/fbc/fi ... dows/More/ - it should also work with my builds, but to be honest I haven't tested it.

There is no working GAS backend for FB64, so the default for FB64 is the GCC backend, thus gcc is included in my 64-bit builds (and in the official 64-bit FB 1.05 package as well).

The version info displayed in the file properties dialog is defined in the VERSIONINFO resource and the gcc binary does not seem to have any resource data embedded. Call "gcc -v" or "gcc --version" to view build configuration and version information.
On my CI system I have currently installed gcc 4.9.0 for 32-bit builds and gcc 4.8.2 for 64-bit builds. Both are already quite old (haven't touched the setup for years), maybe I should update them, which could have a positive impact on the effective speed of compiled applications.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Thanks St_W

Call "gcc -v" is a great tip. I should imagine a lot of folk know that but this is not an area that I dabble in so there is probably a lot that I do not know. I find this subject heavy going, more so than graphics.<laugh>

"gcc 4.9.0 for 32-bit builds and gcc 4.8.2 for 64-bit builds"

4.9.0 is quite old. I got 5.2.0 when I first installed FB32 last year.

I get 5.2.0 and 4.8.2

"maybe I should update them, which could have a positive impact on the effective speed of compiled applications."

Excellent idea. Let me know your local pub and I'll send the bartender some Euros to cover a few beers for you.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

With my latest project FB64 V1.06 is running 13% faster than my FB64 V1.05 combination, That is significant.