Wiki improvements

Forum for discussion about the documentation project.
MrSwiss

Re: Wiki improvements

Post by MrSwiss »

Btw: it is the very same, with: "Protected:" access ...
fxm

Post by fxm »

fxm wrote:@dodicat,

For me a bug.
'Redim' with sizing does not seem to check the right of access to the constructor.
I hope you do not mind if I fill in the bug report.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

OK fxm.
Thanks.
fxm

Post by fxm »

fxm

Post by fxm »

Some would be interested in an article like this ? :
How FB supports Reference Variables, and How to Use them in code
(I would also like to put as a preamble a little reminder on the pointers)

If the subject does not interest anyone other than me, it's not worth writing !
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

@fxm, I noticed that the BYREF variable feature works great for some situations. In other situations, fbc might segfault, or the user program will segfault. I will follow up in what I think was original thread viewtopic.php?&t=23584
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

fxm wrote:Some would be interested in an article like this ? :
How FB supports Reference Variables, and How to Use them in code
(I would also like to put as a preamble a little reminder on the pointers)

If the subject does not interest anyone other than me, it's not worth writing !
As for me fxm, you know I like this topic. This is just the kind of stuff that is just so elegant when you use it. But there are some difficulties and it's worth an overview. An other topic that I like (related) is function returned byref , all of this is very interesting!!
fxm

Post by fxm »

New proposed title:
How FB supports References (pass and return byref, byref variables), and How to Use them
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

fxm wrote:New proposed title:
How FB supports References (pass and return byref, byref variables), and How to Use them
If I can add a remark. In general I felt I was understanding better what implied on this topic when I understood that at least one of the reference should be rooted to a true actual memory address, so a real variable somewhere already defined. Once you have this, the game makes more sense.
fxm

Post by fxm »

Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

Great. it makes perfect sense and build the bridge between the naked stuff and the practical wearing clothes.
fxm

Post by fxm »

For the moment only one person interested in such an article?
Not very motivating to write an article that interests so little.
(already that the previous ones .....)
Josep Roca

Post by Josep Roca »

I'm also interested. I have no problems using byref parameters, but probably you know something about returning byref values that I'm missing.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

fxm wrote: Not very motivating to write an article that interests so little.
Hello fxm, I'm in hollydays for one remaining week so I'll try to read all you've posted around. Unfortunately I'm moving home once again and will probably have many days of weak activity. I'll try to give my opinion however when done with the reading.

Now I have 2 advices, because I'm fond of documentation projects and have my own ideas on this. The first thing I would do if I were you would be to make a pdf, a ebook, of all your articles. You will see then the amount of constant downloads and see that the users of the forum is far to represent every FB user.
The second thing I would do, at your level of expertise, would be to write your articles asva pathway to reach a difficult goal. For instance, like in ruby I would like to have type definition changing at runtime. Maybe it's not something of real interest, but let's assume you want to show how to distort FB in order to make it do that despite the fact it seems not poss. Then you could show us from the very start everything to be known until one day one could do that. Why doing this this way? Because it may be boring for you to teach the basics that you know already so well, unless it's a prerequisite to higher stuff requiring mastery.

In anyway your contributions are absolutely needed. This will be for sure a well known part of FB documentation and a part of the success of the language. If you provided a pdf or djvu or epub, you would probably have more feedback or anyway touch a wider public. If I was talented enough, it's what I would do.

Thanks for your writtings, that adds to your constant help in the forum. It's quite of a work you do here. I think the time is close when it will pay back, just a matter of weeks or monthes!
fxm

Post by fxm »

It is not any counter of access or download, completely impersonal, that interests me, but it is rather the exchanges with the users, at any level whatsoever.
As for diverting/hacking the FreeBASIC language, I see it more as a game than as a finality in itself.