How do they Do It? - Onscreen list

General FreeBASIC programming questions.
Gablea

How do they Do It? - Onscreen list

Post by Gablea »

Hi All,

I have been watching a lot of viedos about old compters and software and I was wondering if someone could explain something for me

When a user shows a list (like pic below)

what happens to the information that was behind the list? does the app store it some where or just overrides it and re display the screen once the menu / list was done with???

and how would a list like above acutally get made (a basic sample code would helpful just so I could study it to understand how it works)

I ask as I am not sure what happens to the data would the software copy the screen and all the data into memory before displaying the list and how would the "text" boxes be made and handled (A lot to ask But I am really curious as to how it may have been done) I think once I understand how it would have been done in older software I should be able to impolite it in my application

I would be most grateful even if someone can show me a few website to read up on this "function" as I am totally new to this sort of interface (been using Visual basic for to long now)
caseih

Re: How do they Do It? - Onscreen list

Post by caseih »

Wow a blast from the past. Remember the "exploding" pop ups where the window would kind of zoom in? Anyway, there were several BASIC routines back in the day for popping up menus like that. Many of them actually saved the contents of the character cells to a buffer for redrawing after the menu pop up was done. For any procedural system (not event-driven), this would probably be the way most would do it.

Another way to do it is just repaint (regenerate) the entire screen after the pop up was finished. I've done it this way before. With faster computers it is nearly imperceptible. In 1981, however, with slow BIOS screen printing, it would have been intolerably slow. Unix terminal-based programs would do this too, and on a slow terminal it would be noticeable as the pop up was slowly cleared away. But on a serial terminal that was really the only way to do it, since it's not possible to read the contents of the terminal's screen buffer (it's remote after all).
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

caseih wrote:... however, with slow BIOS screen printing, it would have been intolerably slow.
Yes, one of the reasons to use assembly in those days, writing straight to VRAM (on VGA card).
Obviously, not well liked by MS: "... strongly discouraged ..." (in DOS manuals).
marcov

Post by marcov »

Turbo Vision, each object has a (virtual) method for drawing. Either entirely or a specific rectangle. It is up to the object if it caches or not. Usually there is a double buffering derivative of the base object, so if your window is too complex you just derive from that.

For modal popups, sometimes a complete copy of the screen is kept, but most systems don't do it, because old screens are often already outdated by then (e.g. many TV clones had a running clock in the bottom left corner, since there was no way to see the clock if you are in an application on dos, unless the app provides it)

These systems walk the window stack and try to minimize drawing. It works slightly different than e.g. ncurses based systems though.

The old systems are optimized for execution performance and will rather paint a few characters extra if its cheap (e.g. the code to figure out to exactly what to redraw is potentially more expensive than the drawing). While ncurses tries to optimize for minimal number of characters sent over the wire, even if it takes longer to calculate that.
Gablea

Post by Gablea »

That is intresting. So when it generates the list would is populate the list at once or does it do it in stages? (As the user presses the up and down key)
grindstone

Post by grindstone »

A simple example, quick & dirty (to be elaborated :-) ):

Code: Select all

Sub mask
	Color 7, 1 'lt grey / blue
	Cls
	Print Chr(218); String(20, 196); Chr(194); String(10, 196); Chr(194); String(10, 196); Chr(194); String(10, 196); Chr(191)
	For x As Integer = 1 To 20
		Print Chr(179); String(20, " "); Chr(179); String(10, " "); Chr(179); String(10, " "); Chr(179); String(10, " "); Chr(179)
	Next
	Print Chr(192); String(20, 196); Chr(193); String(10, 196); Chr(193); String(10, 196); Chr(193); String(10, 196); Chr(217)
End Sub

Function popup As String
	Dim As Integer itemhi, colrem = Color
	Dim As String g
	Dim As String itemlist(1 To ...) = {"1 - One", _
	                                  "2 - Two", _
	                                  "3 - Three", _
	                                  "4 - Four"}

itemhi = LBound(itemlist) 'select 1st item

Do
		Color 7, 2 'lt grey / green
		'draw popup box		
		Locate 10, 3
		Print Chr(201); String(60, 205); Chr(187) 'top line
		For x As Integer = 1 To 5
			Locate CsrLin, 3
			Print Chr(186); String(60, " "); Chr(186) 
		Next
		Locate CsrLin, 3
		Print Chr(200); String(60, 205); Chr(188) 'bottom line

'print items
		For x As Integer = LBound(itemlist) To UBound(itemlist)
			If itemhi = x Then
				Color 2, 7 'highlight selected item
			Else
				Color 7, 2
			EndIf
			Locate 10 + x, 6
			Print Left(itemlist(x) & String(30, " "), 30)
		Next

Do
			Select Case InKey
				Case Chr(255, 72) 'up
					If itemhi > LBound(itemlist) Then 'one item up
						itemhi -= 1
						Exit Do
					EndIf
				Case Chr(255, 80) 'down
					If itemhi < UBound(itemlist) Then 'one item down
						itemhi += 1
						Exit Do
					EndIf
				Case Chr(13) 'return
					Exit Do, Do
			End Select
		Loop
	Loop

Color colrem And 16, (colrem Shr 16) And 16 'reset color
	Return itemlist(itemhi) 'return selected item

End Function

Dim As String item = "none"

mask 'draw screen
Locate 2,3
Print item
Locate 23, 2, 0
Print "P = popup"

Do
	Select Case InKey
		Case "p"
			item = popup 'get new item from popup window
			mask 'redraw screen
			Locate 2,3
			Print item
			Locate 23, 2, 0
			Print "P = popup"
		Case Chr(27)
			Exit Do
	End Select
Loop
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

That usually is done, depending on available resources (e.g. RAM),
total size list e.t.c. (this is called SW engineering).
Could be any way ...
caseih

Post by caseih »

Gablea wrote:That is intresting. So when it generates the list would is populate the list at once or does it do it in stages? (As the user presses the up and down key)
That all depends. Probably most lists are either already populated internally, or done so at the time the menu is displayed. Or it could be a hybrid approach where a certain number of items are loaded into memory at any one time. If the data source is fast, it could be populated on the fly. Clearly browsing a large, multi-GB database is going to require either the hybrid approach or the on-demand approach.

Was the Turbo Vision port for FreePascal a binding to the C++ library, or was it reimplemented in Pascal? Turbo Vision would be a neat fit for FB if it wasn't C++.
marcov

Post by marcov »

Gablea wrote:That is intresting. So when it generates the list would is populate the list at once or does it do it in stages? (As the user presses the up and down key)
Depends. Some have a callback only, some have a simple datastructure, and a callback to get the exact details, and must preload all visible info into the widget
Gablea

Post by Gablea »

so would the menu items be loaded into a array and then displayed on screen as when needed?
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

Gablea wrote:so would the menu items be loaded into a array and then displayed on screen as when needed?
Just one, of the possible options ...
Load from file or using Data statements (just what comes to mind, at the moment).
marcov

Post by marcov »

Gablea wrote:so would the menu items be loaded into a array and then displayed on screen as when needed?
Usually these systems are object oriented. So every item is an object which has enough data to create the line that you see (possibly from multiple fields).

A very select number are "virtual", where the system dynamically only generates the data when needed as the list is scrolled. So not all data needs to be available when the list initializes.

But that is a newer concept to speed up e.g. treeviews with hundreds of thousands of entries, that is not really something that happened back in the dos age.
Gablea

Post by Gablea »

So something like a till back Office that had 100,000 record in the product database would not have loaded them all in to memory.

Would I have loaded the first 100 in to memory and looped though them when the user got near to the last entry?
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

Think of chunks of data, like a query of, let's say 50 entry's a piece.
When user get's to say 40th, load the next chunk of 50, releasing the top 30,
then, on the next step, load 50, release oldest 50 (having a max. of 70 any time).
(viewport is to be less thant that, of course e.g. <= 20 lines)

That's the way old editors could handle large files (being very small themselfs).
Last edited by MrSwiss on Aug 09, 2018 0:55, edited 1 time in total.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

.deleted
Last edited by BasicCoder2 on Aug 09, 2018 11:48, edited 1 time in total.