Free Basic Compilers Version 1.06.0 (08-26-2018) seem broken

General FreeBASIC programming questions.
Josep Roca

Free Basic Compilers Version 1.06.0 (08-26-2018) seem broken

Post by Josep Roca »

I have tried the latest builds of the compilers and they seem broken, reporting wrong warnings:

-----------------------------------------------------

FreeBASIC Compiler - Version 1.06.0 (08-26-2018), built for win32 (32bit)

warning 43(0): Argument count mismatch
SetWindowSubclass hCtl, CAST(SUBCLASSPROC, pWndProc), uIdSubclass, dwRefData

FreeBASIC Compiler - Version 1.06.0 (08-26-2018), built for win64 (64bit)

Warning 43(0): Argument count mismatch

warning 41(0): Return type mismatch
bi.lpfn = cast(BFFCALLBACK, @AfxBrowseForFolderProc)

where bi has been declared as bi AS BROWSEINFOW

This warning is reported by the 64 bit compiler only.

They compile fine, without errors or warnings, with the previous 1.06 versions.
counting_pine
Site Admin

Re: Free Basic Compilers Version 1.06.0 (08-26-2018) seem broken

Post by counting_pine »

It seems another instance of this bug can be found at https://freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 30#p251230:

Code: Select all

#Include Once "windows.bi"
#Include Once "win/bcrypt.bi"

Type BCryptGenRandomProc As Function (Byval hAlgorithm As BCRYPT_ALG_HANDLE, Byval pbBuffer As PUCHAR, Byval cbBuffer As Ulong, Byval dwFlags As Ulong) As NTSTATUS

Dim hLib As HMODULE
Cast(BCryptGenRandomProc, GetProcAddress(hLib, "BCryptGenRandom")) 'warning 43(0):Argument count mismatch

#print typeof(BCryptGenRandomProc)
#print typeof(@GetProcAddress)
I suspect it might be the Windows headers..

What do the typeof statements give for you here?
At the minute I only have a 32-bit build of 1.05, which gives:

FUNCTION(AS ANY PTR, AS UBYTE PTR, AS ULONG, AS ULONG) AS LONG
FUNCTION(AS HINSTANCE__ PTR, AS CONST ZSTRING * 4 PTR) AS FUNCTION() AS LONG
I guess for your code, it would be useful to know the types of SUBCLASSPROC, pWndProc, BFFCALLBACK, and @AfxBrowseForFolderProc.

These are all just warnings, rather than errors, which probably "just" means they are incompatible function pointer casts.
Josep Roca

Post by Josep Roca »

I guess for your code, it would be useful to know the types of SUBCLASSPROC, pWndProc, BFFCALLBACK, and @AfxBrowseForFolderProc.
All of them are standard, as defined in the headers for version 1.05.

Defined in cmmctrl.inc

type SUBCLASSPROC as function(byval hWnd as HWND, byval uMsg as UINT, byval wParam as WPARAM, byval lParam as LPARAM, byval uIdSubclass as UINT_PTR, byval dwRefData as DWORD_PTR) as LRESULT
Defined in shlobj.inc

type BFFCALLBACK as function(byval hwnd as HWND, byval uMsg as UINT, byval lParam as LPARAM, byval lpData as LPARAM) as long
pWndProc is a pointer to a callback function and @AfxBrowseForFolderProc is a pointer to another callback function.

Besides, the warning for

warning 43(0): Argument count mismatch

is clearly wrrong, since SetWindowSubclass has four parameters.

What they have in common is that both use the CAST keyword.
fxm

Post by fxm »

Have you try to compile with option '-exx' ?
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Josep Roca wrote:What they have in common is that both use the CAST keyword.
Now, that is interesting - my code went down using CAST. In my case, the CAST datatype is not from FreeBASIC but from my own UDT so it looks like the CAST expression evaluator is failing such that CAST does not get treated as a parameter. Doesn't that sound as if I know what I am talking about? <laugh> I am actually grasping at straws. It could simply be that CAST has somehow become broken in its entirety.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

fxm wrote:Have you try to compile with option '-exx' ?
Just did, but no further information output.
St_W

Post by St_W »

Here's some simple code to reproduce the warnings. As deltarho[1859] already mentioned, it seems that the casts do not really work as expected.

type delegate1 as function( a as integer ) as integer

function dummy ( a as delegate1, another as integer ) as integer
  return 1
end function

sub oneparam ( first as integer )
end sub

dummy(cast(delegate1, @dummy), 0)     ' warning 43(0): Argument count mismatch
dummy(cptr(delegate1, @dummy), 0)     ' warning 43(0): Argument count mismatch
dummy(cast(delegate1, @oneparam), 0)  ' warning 41(0): Return type mismatch
dummy(cptr(delegate1, @oneparam), 0)  ' warning 41(0): Return type mismatch

dummy(cast(delegate1, 0), 0)          ' no warning
dummy(0, 0)                           ' no warning
fxm

Post by fxm »

Fix applied on last version:
- #642, #886: CASTs involving CONST qualifiers solved out too early allowing invalid statements to be compiled

But display now these errors seems legitimate!
This was before the compiler was too lax.
St_W

Post by St_W »

Most changes/fixes were related to constness qualifiers, however none are involved in the example (except there are some hidden ones?). In general the changes made fbc's error checking more strict. I'm unsure whether that's the right way to go for the FreeBasic language - on one hand I like verbose error checking because it prevents potential errors, but on the other hand when sb. uses CAST one should know what he/she's doing anyway and the added verbosity makes things more complicated. For example it looks like we need special const_cast to explicitly tell the compiler when we want to cast constness away, otherwise we get warnings (however they are currently disabled by default and have to be explicitly enabled with "-w constness"). In the end we probably end in static_cast, dynamic_cast, reinterpret_cast and const_cast, as already well known from C++. I'm unsure whether that's what we really want and whether that would be beneficial for FB.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

I'm not keen on having a variety of casts. But I did want a way to at check constness conversions, hence the they only show up when '-w constness' option is give.

For the function pointer warnings, JoseRoca submitted an issue report at https://github.com/freebasic/fbc/issues/93 and I responded there with an example program (I guessed at some types and function signatures). I think the warnings are correct.

Might help to understand if warning message text was:
- Return type mismatch in function pointer
- Calling convention mismatch in function pointer
- Argument count mismatch in function pointer

fbc is comparing the compatibility of function pointer types. Before fbc 1.06 Aug 20, there is very little type checking for function pointer types.

If fbc is generating an actual ERROR that causes compile to abort, I'd really like to see the test case.

All I can ask is that users try to assess if the warning is telling them something they should actually be aware of. If the warnings are not wanted, I can make it so they only show when compiled with '-w pedantic'.
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

coderJeff wrote:If the warnings are not wanted, I can make it so they only show when compiled with '-w pedantic'.
As discussed in this thread, forcing a BASIC coder to use constructs like PrevWinProc = CAST(ANY PTR, SetWindowLongPtr(Edit_1, GWLP_WNDPROC, CAST(LONG_PTR, @SubEdit))) is UTTERLY pedantic.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

jj2007 wrote:UTTERLY pedantic
I would go further than that and call it draconian. <smile>

If I remember correctly poseidonFB will warn but allow a compilation. WinFBE, on the other hand, will abort a compilation on a warning. If WinFBE does not change then it will not be able to use any further fbc builds unless the matter is resolved, and that includes a stable 1.06 when it eventually gets published. WinFBE, obviously, needs changing.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

deltarho[1859] wrote:
jj2007 wrote:UTTERLY pedantic
I would go further than that and call it draconian. <smile>

If I remember correctly poseidonFB will warn but allow a compilation. WinFBE, on the other hand, will abort a compilation on a warning. If WinFBE does not change then it will not be able to use any further fbc builds unless the matter is resolved, and that includes a stable 1.06 when it eventually gets published. WinFBE, obviously, needs changing.
That was changed two days ago based on fxm's suggestion in the WinFBE thread in the Project's forum.
In the next update, compiles that result in only warnings will be deemed "successful".

We were already reading your mind, David :-) lol
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

PaulSquires wrote:In the next update, compiles that result in only warnings will be deemed "successful".
Magic!

If I may be pedantic, <smile>, rather than use the term 'deemed' I'd use 'treated as'.

BTW, I prefer not to hide the popup compile messagebox because I want to see the file size - saves me using my file manager to find out. A file size of zero also tells me that something untoward has occurred and I need to look at the Compiler Log File.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

deltarho[1859] wrote:
PaulSquires wrote:BTW, I prefer not to hide the popup compile messagebox because I want to see the file size - saves me using my file manager to find out. A file size of zero also tells me that something untoward has occurred and I need to look at the Compiler Log File.
Well then, just for you, I have added the resulting file size immediately following the successful compiled EXE filename in the status bar panel. :-)