"A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Eponasoft

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Jan 2019), 250 $ 1st prize

Post by Eponasoft »

I stated this on the other thread, but I'll be competing in this as well. It'll be my last game in FB, not that I have many to start with since migrating to the world of console coding.
badidea

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Jan 2019), 250 $ 1st prize

Post by badidea »

My changes on the big prize are dropping by the day :-)
I count 7 competitors now (both forums):
  • Landeel
  • The Car
  • anonymous1337
  • Eponasoft
  • Imortis
  • Joshy
  • badidea (me)
BasicCoder2 (Will you try?)
Lachie Dazdarian (Will you make something yourself as well?)
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

If i would participate, i would have to find someone to score the games. I'm not a fan of a single poll deciding everything. I would need to see someone examining properly each entry and elaborating his scores in detail to feel satisfied. Also, i don't have an idea i'm keen about atm, to motivate me to take a dive. But i don't know, maybe I'll change my mind. It's a long competition.

Anyway, I know at least 8 more persons who also said they will take an attempt at it. ssjx, gothon, nkk_kan,Dr_D, Ryan, Zamaster, BadMrBox, relsoft (has limited access to net, atm) and even few more mulling over it. In my forum the discussion seems to have shifted in another thread, which I think you missed. :P

Compared to previous competitions, this one appears to have the best response. Let's hope there won't be a huge drop off. I'm so excited in seeing and trying first WIP.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

I guess my hope was you would come up with something Lachie and obviously just exclude yourself from the prizes the same way I am. Also, you won't get to see my WIP. Stop trying to look. Pervert.
Pete

Post by Pete »

I'm really glad that this competition is growing traction!

Should I do a special edition "FINAL" issue of QB Express to commemorate it? Would anyone be interested in writing something?

Also, I would like to contribute an additional $100 into the winner's pot. (PayPal, Lachie?) I won't have time to code anything for this, but I'm happy to root for all the participants. :)
Pete

Post by Pete »

Also, I just did an update to Pete's QB Site... first update in 10 years!

http://www.petesqbsite.com

Nothing major, but hey, it's an update!
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

Pete wrote:I'm really glad that this competition is growing traction!

Should I do a special edition "FINAL" issue of QB Express to commemorate it? Would anyone be interested in writing something?
I don't know. Do you want to? =D

Also, which kind of 'something' would you like to get? I don't think there's much to say in the 'News' section, for example. The community is a lot slower than it was in 2008. On the other hand, 'Tutorials' can see some contributions...
Lachie Dazdarian

Thanks Pete for your 100 USD offer. I'll take you upon it. I plan to increase first and second prize by 50 USD.

Thanks for promoting the competition as well.

Another QB express issue would be fun, but I think it would make sense to release it post competition.

To be honest, I'm mulling over doing one final BASIC Gaming issue as well, just to time capture the current status of FB, QB64 and QB communities online, as well as to commemorate the competition and elaborate my need to make a closure.
grindstone

Post by grindstone »

Is it allowed to put out something that already was presented in a preview version, or must it be something entirely new?
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:To be honest, I'm mulling over doing one final BASIC Gaming issue as well, just to time capture the current status of FB, QB64 and QB communities online, as well as to commemorate the competition and elaborate my need to make a closure.
In that case, you may want to expand the focus of the competition to also include QB64 and QB. Then, you can call it 'A Love Letter to BASIC', which was probably the first programming language people (like yours truly) in the 80s were exposed to. Since FB and QB64 both have a common root, perhaps this is the most logical move. Just a suggestion to up the ante =D
Lachie Dazdarian

I'm not sure what do you mean exactly, grindstone, but reskining an older finished or close to finished work will be heavily penalized during scoring. I am expecting people to be open about that, at minimum. Using old code and engines is allowed.
Pitto

Post by Pitto »

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of participating too.

Code: Select all

Here's my plot:
Victor is a freelance Freebasic programmer,
he has a happy life in the Country of Codingland.

But Suddendly, Freebasic is outlawed and the keywords
of the language are banned and removed.

Here's the Victor's journey begins.

Facing a thousand dangers through 9 levels inspired to different
programming languages (such Python, C, Assembly and so on),
Victor will be able to find all the forbidden keywords and rehabilitate
the Freebasic language.
I have already prepared a temporary splashscreen

I'm currently at the stage of paper prototyping.

Honestly, because of the little time I have available I do not know if I can complete the project in time, but nothing prevents me from trying since i like the idea.
badidea

Post by badidea »

"Paper prototyping" is the best part. Trying to explain it to your computer in the form of code can be tedious sometimes. Why are computers so stupid?

Some of my (not so impressive) prototyping.
Made before the competition announcement. So, theme to be included...
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

My idea was to expose an enemy within the FreeBASIC package.
It has been in there for quite a while, everyone knows it, but nobody really suspects malevolence.
But now, when FreeBASIC find itself in the Doldrums, as it were, it starts to eat FreeBASIC from the inside.
I don't know how to code this though, without upsetting people, including myself.
I might just pass this swansong, forfeiting the prize.
Gloomshroud

Post by Gloomshroud »

I am nowhere near able to participate, being a mere hobbyist who lurks more than anything...but while I am moved by this sudden final resurgence of love and support...does this mean most folks are moving on from the old QB/FB worlds? This saddens me, though I have faith.

As the ancients say:

"Omnia mutantur, nihil interit."