Nominations for Forum Moderators

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
deltarho[1859]

Re: Nominations for Forum Moderators

Post by deltarho[1859] »

„stay/go where the pepper grows“ -> go jump in the lake

That is new to me - I had to do a Google search.

coderJeff made it clear what would happen if MrSwiss and I 'started up again' so I will not respond in kind. Perhaps I should and get both MrSwiss and myself suspended.

@Imortis

This could be your first job. Disagreeing with jj2007 is OK but how do you feel about one member telling another member to 'go jump in the lake'?
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

Just to present the other half of the coin:

I've said: stay, where you currently are (off the forum), aka: "stay where the pepper grows",
which is lightly different, from what our best reknown liar, is trying hard, to imply.
The jump into the Lake, was done by himself, without any help by others.

(But, alas, what is there to be expected, from a self confessing liar.)
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

deltarho[1859] wrote:„stay/go where the pepper grows“ -> go jump in the lake
Hey, I learned a new expression, thanks. I doubt, though, that it is as strong as the German version. Urban Diktionary says that "jump in the lake" is "used by grandmas who have anger issues but are too civilized to swear". That is still far below a true, juicy "vaffanculo" or "Geh doch dahin wo der Pfeffer wächst".
lizard

Post by lizard »

Thats is a expression from 19th century. Today people pay much money to make holidays where the pepper grows.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

Admin, I also apologise, wires crossed somewhere.
But if you don't mind, I will not take the second moderators job.

Deltarho, I think these anger phases (Yours and mine) are probably age related and should not continue for ever and ever.
My Grandfather used to tell me about these WW1 Christmas truces, he was German, and on that side of course.
Both sides used to swap tobacco for whisky when Christmas parcels arrived at the front.
If they could do a truce under those hellish circumstances then I wonder if you and Mr Swiss could try something, even although it is very entertaining as it stands.
Lachie Dazdarian's pictorial torment is the best I have seen on the forum, surely he can't be that worried!
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

dodicat wrote:Deltarho, I think these anger phases (Yours and mine) are probably age related and should not continue for ever and ever.
It is called 'Irritable Male Syndrome'
If they could do a truce under those hellish circumstances then I wonder if you and Mr Swiss could try something
I did try something - Jungian Typology - and that worked for a while but MrSwiss reverted.

The difference between MrSwiss and myself is that I can be reasoned with but, it seems to me, that MrSwiss cannot be reasoned with.

I probably do suffer from Irritable Male Syndrome but I reckon that MrSwiss suffers from a pathological condition. Irritable Male Syndrome can be controlled by channelling one's energies into new ventures. The solution for MrSwiss is probably medication.

No doubt MrSwiss will respond to this post but I will simply ignore it.
I may be wrong but this episode has probably left a bad taste in your mouth. People can queue up from the end of the street to the other to apologize to us but the bad taste remains and a good quality mouthwash has no effect. A bad taste in the mouth only diminishes with time and the older we get the longer it takes. <smile>
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

deltarho[1859] wrote:a good quality mouthwash has no effect
A glass of good red wine does miracles. Honestly, the atmosphere here is still quite OK - grumpy old men enjoying their little fights.

Since a few weeks I am very active on a local forum, defending some trees from being sacrificed for the Mayor's pet project. That is real fun: The other day he called me an bright (yes, the Mayor!), so I gave him an extra calm reply with purely technical arguments why the trees should not be felled. I even kindly asked my fellow forum members to try to understand his anger, and to support him in his difficult task. Now I got plenty of support, never seen so much positive posts, and he is visibly infuriated but can't credibly show his anger without completely ridiculing himself. Being gentle can be really mean ;-)

Have fun, open a good bottle and enjoy the trolling!
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

jj2007 wrote:Being gentle can be really mean ;-)
When I have kept a cool head I have done that with MrSwiss as few times to see his successive posts become more vitriolic and I can imagine him foaming at the mouth like a rabid dog.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

MrSwiss has been temporarily banned for 2 weeks due to his (repeated) personal attacks.

If I had been more diligent in issuing warnings and keeping track of topic reports, this decision would be based on more than just my personal experience. I don't make this decision lightly, as some of you may already know I've always championed the ideals of inclusion, even though it may be difficult, rather than exclusion.

I feel this will give our newly formed team some breathing room to discuss a longer term solution.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

dodicat wrote:Admin, I also apologise, wires crossed somewhere.
No worries, thank-you for your consideration of the role.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

OK, the business of this thread is now concluded.

We tried our best to create a solution, and we have a result that we can move forward with.

Thanks again, to everyone, for making this possible.