"A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Landeel

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

Post by Landeel »

maachal wrote:Thank you for warning me of the mistake, I'm ashamed.
http://www.hsgi.cz/dokumenty/sctank-zip/
Corrected version.
Hey, I could get it to compile and run on Linux now. Great job.
The keyboard mapping is very confusing for international keyboards.
Maybe you could use the arrows, or give other options.
Landeel

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

Post by Landeel »

FB Shooter Force 2019 updated:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Alx6z ... pih1AUEuZH
-Added joystick force feedback (vibration) on Windows, thanks to SDL2 haptic. (Testers needed. Works on wine, fails on winxp);
-Animated starfield background in the intro movie by cycling the palette;
-Fixed a bug in the gamepad setup;
-Many minor fixes and improvements;
gothon

Post by gothon »

maachal wrote:Thank you for warning me of the mistake, I'm ashamed.
http://www.hsgi.cz/dokumenty/sctank-zip/
Corrected version.
Thank you, your game now runs without reporting any runtime errors!
Landeel wrote:
Landeel, nice that you have a 2 player mode and a full gamepad mapping support, however the mapping doesn't seem to work on my computer! I push the key, and it flickers and resets to the default, maybe I am pressing something wrong?
You mean when you enter the "gamepad setup"?
Yes, that is what I meant to write.
Landeel wrote:FB Shooter Force 2019 updated:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Alx6z ... pih1AUEuZH
-Added joystick force feedback (vibration) on Windows, thanks to SDL2 haptic. (Testers needed. Works on wine, fails on winxp);
-Animated starfield background in the intro movie by cycling the palette;
-Fixed a bug in the gamepad setup;
-Many minor fixes and improvements;
And your update seems to have fixed it, thank you!
Landeel

Post by Landeel »

And your update seems to have fixed it, thank you!
Glad to know. Thanks for testing.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

machaal, that's a really solid effort for something done in such short time. The gameplay also feels nice. I only wish you would allow the user to customize the controls, or add more alternative keys, the classic arrow keys as well. The current one is really cumbersome to use.

Pitto, that's an awesome entry there. Great work on the presentation, graphics and the engine. Feels like a contender for the first places. I do wish the movement was more smooth, though. It feels very jerky, frantic at the moment. I would enjoy it more if it featured slower acceleration when starting to move left and right so you can make more precise positioning (I too often got burned by spikes on the edge of a platform), but it would also make running away more tense, jumping more enjoyable, the works. Same should be done about jumping (upward/doward movement) as well. It just goes too fast up and down, with little or no acceleration. It needs to be more smooth, in my opinion. Also, I think our hero should jump few pixels above "one level up" platforms. At the moment, it feels like he settles magicaly on a platform when jumping from down to up, there is no the "landing" sensation. It feels like moving in a lift, not jumping. I don't know. Did you ever play Giana Sisters? That game is somewhat a drastic example with the acceleration thing, but it's just an extreme to illustrate what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8teXm6723-g

Maybe it's too late to make such big physics changes to your character movement, but I really think you should tweak it in that direction a bit, or at least try, before the deadline.

Entries so far:
Impossible Victhorse by Pitto
FreeBASIC Carom Billiard by 3622
Internet of Evil Things by ssjx
Simple Console Tank by machaal
FB Shooter Force 2019 by Landeel

Expected for round one:
The Secret Gallery by Zamaster/Mambazo
Basic Warfare by Boromir
Programs of Legend by gothon
ChangeV's entry?

As far as I know, any other don't feel sure for round one, but looking forward to see more stuff developing in round two.
Last edited by Lachie Dazdarian on Feb 05, 2019 7:40, edited 1 time in total.
Boromir

Post by Boromir »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Expected for round one:
Boromir by Basic Warfare
ChangeV's entry?
Well, I don't know about "Boromir by Basic Warfare". :)
I'm running it a bit tight on the deadline here but mine should be ready soon.
Lachie Dazdarian

Boromir wrote:
Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Expected for round one:
Boromir by Basic Warfare
ChangeV's entry?
Well, I don't know about "Boromir by Basic Warfare". :)
I'm running it a bit tight on the deadline here but mine should be ready soon.
Well, sorry for assuming anything, but i got that impression from your comment that even 4th of February was time enough. And now you have an extra week. Would hate to see another strong entry dropping off round one, for sure.
Boromir

Post by Boromir »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Well, sorry for assuming anything, but i got that impression from your comment that even 4th of February was time enough. And now you have an extra week. Would hate to see another strong entry dropping off round one, for sure.
Sorry, didn't mean it like that. :) I should make the deadline fine.
It's just that you wrote "Boromir by Basic Warfare" instead of "Basic Warfare by Boromir". :)
Pitto

Post by Pitto »

Hi Lachie,
thank you for your review, I will examine your tips.

I did play Giana Sisters, I know what you mean.

In the early stages of development of the game the player did jumps in a different manner (the more the button remains hold, the more is high the jump), but I've abandoned that kind of control since the way I've implemented it didn't sound fine to me.
Changing it at this stage may be possible, but may mean also to inspect and change some level design in order to allow the player to move free.
Maybe I will change some landing rules.
Did you play the .tar file I published or downloaded and compiled the sources? I recommend the github sources since are newer than the .tar file (ATM 0.5.4 is the lastest release, and I did some changes for Windows - timing in particular).
Does your version seems to run faster than this? https://youtu.be/oG4saGPkQ5I

Anyway my entry will be eligible for the february 11th deadline round one.

Maybe I will submit something (out of competition obviusly), for the round two, like some levels pack & updated (and well tested) physics.

Best regards
Lachie Dazdarian

I've played the precompiled tar version. Perhaps it ran tad faster. I'm not saying that jumping should be effected by holding the jump key. Maybe it should just be a tad slower, including minimum acceleration, deacceleration. Same for starting to move left/right. I might be wrong, dunno, but worth making a small test, imo. Will try the latest version later today.
Pitto

Post by Pitto »

Thank you for your test and for sharing your toughts.
Lachie Dazdarian

Are you on Facebook? I want to connect (pester you on messenger).
chung

Post by chung »

i have finished my game "seashore_chung" but i dont want no more to participate to this competition
Pitto

Post by Pitto »

@Lachie
I'm not on Facebook, nor any social network - except for a YouTube account where sometime I publish Freebasic related stuff and things of my interest.

I hope that the Windows version (0.5.4 release) could run a bit slower than the previous one.

You may compile it unflagging "'#DEFINE DEBUG_MODE" in "inc/definitions.bi" in order to see useful debug info at run-time while playing the levels by pressing "D" key (with on screen debug press F1 to show some further commands).

I've compiled it using FBC compiler 1.05.0 32 bit in Win, Linux & Raspian, I think it should work even with FBC 64 bit.

Thank you again for your testing and your useful tips.