"A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
BasicCoder2

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

Post by BasicCoder2 »

@Pitto,
Duplicating the common actions and feel of other game controllers would be important I think. Having your character not behaving "as expected" in response to your motor memory wired in by other games would be annoying. However with practice I have gotten a hang of controlling Victor.

You have implemented the FreeBasic language theme 100% without it being a hack onto some other already written game. I liked your retro style graphics and little touches like the banned FB posters and Victor wanted posters. Well done!
Last edited by BasicCoder2 on Feb 06, 2019 6:22, edited 2 times in total.
Landeel

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

Post by Landeel »

FB Shooter Force 2019 updated:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Alx6z ... pih1AUEuZH
-Power-of-two fbo textures are used by default: can improve compatibility;
-Gamepad and force feedback improvements;
-Game tries to adjust automatically if the requested resolution is not correctly set;
-Many internal changes and improvements;
maachal

Post by maachal »

Landeel wrote:Hey, I could get it to compile and run on Linux now. Great job.
The keyboard mapping is very confusing for international keyboards.
Maybe you could use the arrows, or give other options.
Lachie Dazdarian wrote:machaal, that's a really solid effort for something done in such short time. The gameplay also feels nice. I only wish you would allow the user to customize the controls, or add more alternative keys, the classic arrow keys as well. The current one is really cumbersome to use.
http://www.hsgi.cz/dokumenty/sctank-zip/
New version add redefine keys. ;-)

BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

@Landeel,
After trying to play your game again I see there is more to it than I realised. You seem to have the FreeBASIC theme well covered. Seems a nice professionally written shoot em up game.
Last edited by BasicCoder2 on Feb 06, 2019 6:19, edited 1 time in total.
maachal

Post by maachal »

http://www.hsgi.cz/dokumenty/sctank-zip/
Remove small bug in redefine keys.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Pitto, I'm getting cca 700 FPS, but the game feels sluggish to me.

Your thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cTH_i4 ... e=youtu.be
Pitto

Post by Pitto »

Hi Lachie,
thanks again for testing, I's funny to see Victor running on other computers than mine :)

You're right, the FPS value is wrong, It's not related to the FPS displayed.
I've a little workaround for that, no problems, I'll update it in the afternoon.

I developed it mainly on Linux, it was more smooth than Windows. Anyway I'll try to harmonize it.

The main issue is the sleep timing accuracy that is different from Win to Linux

Code: Select all

https://www.freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=KeyPgSleep
The accuracy of Sleep is variable depending on the OS cycle time (Windows NT/2K/XP: 15 ms, 9x/Me: 50 ms, Linux 10ms, DOS 55 ms).
Correct me if I'm wrong, are you playing without analogue joystick?
Without it, the game is still playable, but you could have an even more precise control.

@BasicCoder2
Thank you for your review
Lachie Dazdarian

I don't have a joystick! Or a controller! Man, this whole compo is about keyboard shaming me! :P
Lachie Dazdarian

Pitto, btw, if your game doesn't feature and friendly NPCs, I really think you should add then. One or two characters during the course of the game, short dialogues. Just to flesh out the setting even more. It's just, the background as it is, feels very elaborate, but exactly becuase of that, it could use somone in the game actually referencing to it. Just a thought.
Landeel

Post by Landeel »

BasicCoder2 wrote:@Landeel,
After trying to play your game again I see there is more to it than I realised. You seem to have the FreeBASIC theme well covered. Seems a nice professionally written shoot em up game.
Hey, thanks! Glad you like it.
Pitto

Post by Pitto »

Hi all,
I've update the repository (0.5.5):
* improved smoothness in Win - now the physics is updated at a fixed timestep (1/55 sec.)
* added editor

I haven't yet tested these changes in Linux

@Lalchie
Along the developing process I did think about an intro more elaborate, cutscenes, other player actions such swimming or flying... and dialogues (you may see that in the editor, in the META tile there is a little comic speech bubble), but soon I did realize that due the little spare time It wasn't possible to implement all these things. I don't know if I may implement other things before the deadline, anyway thanks a lot for your review, your testing and for your useful tips.
maachal

Post by maachal »

Landeel and Pitto, your games are wonderful. They also work well with old and inefficient hardware. I also tested the Asus EEE (AMD C-50, 2 core 1GHz, 10,1", 1024 x 600, RAM 1GB, Windows 7 Starter).

High quality work!
Landeel

Post by Landeel »

maachal wrote:Landeel and Pitto, your games are wonderful. They also work well with old and inefficient hardware. I also tested the Asus EEE (AMD C-50, 2 core 1GHz, 10,1", 1024 x 600, RAM 1GB, Windows 7 Starter).

High quality work!
Hey, thanks!
I'm very happy to know it works well in this setup. The slowest PC I've tested is a laptop with AMD E-350.
Landeel

Post by Landeel »

Oops, double posted. Deleted.
Last edited by Landeel on Feb 07, 2019 12:34, edited 1 time in total.
Lachie Dazdarian

Pitto wrote:Hi all,
I've update the repository (0.5.5):
* improved smoothness in Win - now the physics is updated at a fixed timestep (1/55 sec.)
* added editor

I haven't yet tested these changes in Linux

@Lalchie
Along the developing process I did think about an intro more elaborate, cutscenes, other player actions such swimming or flying... and dialogues (you may see that in the editor, in the META tile there is a little comic speech bubble), but soon I did realize that due the little spare time It wasn't possible to implement all these things. I don't know if I may implement other things before the deadline, anyway thanks a lot for your review, your testing and for your useful tips.
The game appears to be playing with the intended speed now. It's satisfactory now. I still have problems with edge of platform collision, very notable on the very first spikes pit. Not a deal breaker, but still. Regarding NPCs, I think one or two would be enough to add depth, without having to add too much content. I just think it's a big difference between no interaction with the setting (just pure platforming and enemies), versus some, how very little immersion.