Building FreeBASIC 1.06 Release

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
counting_pine
Site Admin

Re: Building FreeBASIC 1.06 Release

Post by counting_pine »

That's great progress.
I spent some time looking into compiling FB natively in FreeDOS on Qemu, but it was very slow - around a minute to compile each file. I didn't get as far as getting unit tests working.

It's a shame we have to rely on an XP VM. Possibly to avoid licensing restrictions we might be able to get builds working on ReactOS (Dos, Win32) or the free (as in beer) Hyper-V Server (Win64).
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

Thanks. I started trying out ReactOS, and looks promising. The application manager has options to download and install git, and FreeBASIC 1.05. So without much effort, can get a bootstrap fbc, and have git to access the repository. Ideally, if I can get shared drives working, it looks like it could be a great set-up. I'm trying the ReactOS nightly build now, as maybe it solves some problems with shares, compared to their last release.

I created a pull request for the 1.06 release. The most significant problem I've had, building on windows (and dos) is the long command lines. I'm going to merge that in soon, it should not cause problem for anyone building from sources, and won't break the compiler, as it's all just changes to makefiles and build scripts. And, I can now build all the main releases (in a single day, which I thought would be hard to do, and it was!), so I think the actual release should be coming soon. I just need to set aside two days where I don't have anything else going on in my life, to get it done.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

coderJeff wrote:I just need to set aside two days where I don't have anything else going on in my life, to get it done.
I know how that feels!
Good luck with the release - we all appreciate the amount of effort you've put into getting it built and released.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

It's official. The files are uploaded, There's a news post: Version 1.06.0 release.

Please, someone let me know if something is missing or something went horribly wrong, and it needs to be fixed immediately. This thread here is a good a place as any to discuss.

I almost got it done in a day. All fbc compilers should report 02-17-2019 as the build date for these 1.06.0 packages, though the actual file date might be the 17th or 18th depending on where you live in the world. In case anyone is curious, about 8 hours of building packages and about 5 hours of uploading files so far, plus last 2 months :) dkl made good notes for most of the release process, and I am grateful.

For anyone compiling fbc from sources, the repository has a new '1.06.0' tag added. That is the commit that all 1.06.0 packages were built from.

There's a few clean-up items I still have to do (soon):
- release notice on github.com (bootstrap, source, sha1sums.txt, etc)
- move the old 1.05.0 files in to the "Older Versions" folder on sourceforge.net
- change default download to 1.06.0 files on sourceforge.net
- check all the supporting binaries (tools, libraries), and make sure the essential ones are uploaded.
Munair

Post by Munair »

Thank you very much coderJeff for your commitment and efforts to keep the FB project going. I'm sure it's very much appreciated by many.
sancho3

Post by sancho3 »

Outstanding.
Thank you very much. Can't wait to try it.
gothon

Post by gothon »

Thank you very much coderJeff! I downloaded the new release, rebuilt my libraries and have replaced a function '_Sqr' with overloaded Sqr in my project. Because of that it already won't even compile in 1.05 anymore.
sean_vn

Post by sean_vn »

I got this little bit of weirdness when compiling with 1.06 Linux 64 as just released:

fbc -O 3 "RNG3.bas" (in directory: /initrd/mnt/dev_save/FB/code)
fbc: Symbol `ospeed' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
Compilation finished successfully.

The code still works fine.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

sean_vn wrote:fbc: Symbol `ospeed' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
I am almost certain that this is due to libncurses/libtinfo library on my build system being different from the same named shared library on your system. I chose Ubuntu 14.04 as the build system because it's same as what is used on Travis-CI server (what checks the compiler build when we make pull requests).

What Linux distro are you running on?
sancho3

Post by sancho3 »

There are no problems on my Ubuntu using 1.06 64
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

Avira (anti virus) removes GoRC.exe, in both WIN32/WIN64, due to (probably) false positive.

Had that IIRC, with FBC's 1.04.0 too ...
(Probably works also, with the GoRC version from 1.05.0, as workaround.)
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

fbc 1.06.0 package includes GoRC.Exe v1.0.2.0 (2018).

fbc 1.00.0 through 1.05.0 packages include GoRC.Exe v1.0.1.0 (2013).

Does Avira remove it during a scan? Or just when it gets executed? I know it's been a few years, but did you have to add it as an exception to the anti-virus?
sean_vn

Post by sean_vn »

I am almost certain that this is due to libncurses/libtinfo library on my build system being different from the same named shared library on your system. I chose Ubuntu 14.04 as the build system because it's same as what is used on Travis-CI server (what checks the compiler build when we make pull requests)

What Linux distro are you running on?.
SCPup64. Anyway no problem so far. Now that you mention it I did have to created a symbolic link named libtinfo.so.5 to libncurses++w.so.6.1 with FB version 1.05 to get it to work and that still exists. There is no straight libncurses on this version of linux to create a link to. It's just the weirdness of my particular setup then.
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

coderJeff wrote:Does Avira remove it during a scan? Or just when it gets executed?
No, the removal is instant, when extracting the .7z (with 7zip File Manager).
It says, it's been put into "quarantine" ...

Last time IIRC, I've sent it to manufacturer, who confirmed "false positive" and,
adjusted something to not any longer, trip it (but that's been some time ago).
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

MrSwiss wrote:Last time IIRC, I've sent it to manufacturer, who confirmed "false positive"
Thanks, I've submitted the file to Avira's website for false positive analysis.

The direct download link is http://www.godevtool.com/Gorc.zip and in theory should give you the same issue, unless the file was compromised by its brief visit to my build system. Unlikely, but nevertheless, possible I guess.