"Basic Warfare" FreeBasic Multiplayer RTS Game

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
Boromir

Re: "Basic Warfare" FreeBasic Multiplayer RTS Game

Post by Boromir »

badidea wrote:I tried it again, using Windows this time. But I still don't understand how to create e.g. a scavenger.
To build units you can press "1" to enter the buildings menu. Then press "=" to filp tabs until you get to one named "Compilers". Then press the corresponding number to the compiler you want to use. And press "1" to build a scavenger.
dafhi

Post by dafhi »

tip: the unit you control does not (seem to) fire
badidea

Post by badidea »

dafhi wrote:tip: the unit you control does not (seem to) fire
I discovered that with a "Patrol" unit you can fire with the "Left shift" button.
The whole interface via keyboard is complicated, a mouse base interface would be better I think.
The number of key you have to press to create a "Patrol" unit and take control over it, is a lot. I also keep pressing "Escape" if I think that I made a wrong choice in the menu. Which then asks me if I want to quit the game everytime.
Boromir

Post by Boromir »

badidea wrote:
dafhi wrote:tip: the unit you control does not (seem to) fire
I discovered that with a "Patrol" unit you can fire with the "Left shift" button.
The whole interface via keyboard is complicated, a mouse base interface would be better I think.
The number of key you have to press to create a "Patrol" unit and take control over it, is a lot. I also keep pressing "Escape" if I think that I made a wrong choice in the menu. Which then asks me if I want to quit the game everytime.
The "Are you sure you want to quit?" message may be annoying but it is a safeguard to keep you from accidentally actually quitting when you press esc.
The command interface is designed after the classic game "Battlezone 1 1998". For those who have ever played that game using this interface is a breeze. For those who are familiar with RTS games learning the system shouldn't be too hard either.
Some of the keys are rebindable in the options menu if that helps.
There are a few things that can be done using the mouse but it is extra and does not need to be used.
The mouse is limited to the area visible to the player which is very restrictive to experienced players hence the more versatile number command system.
badidea

Post by badidea »

Boromir wrote:The "Are you sure you want to quit?" message may be annoying but it is a safeguard to keep you from accidentally actually quitting when you press esc.
Yes, that is a good thing for me :-)
Boromir wrote: The command interface is designed after the classic game "Battlezone 1 1998". For those who have ever played that game using this interface is a breeze. For those who are familiar with RTS games learning the system shouldn't be too hard either.
I don't think I ever played "Battlezone". I have played "Dune 2", "Warcraft" and "Command & Conquer" a lot.
Boromir wrote: Some of the keys are rebindable in the options menu if that helps.
There are a few things that can be done using the mouse but it is extra and does not need to be used.
The mouse is limited to the area visible to the player which is very restrictive to experienced players hence the more versatile number command system.
I understand that a keyboard interface is better for an experienced player. For a beginner, it takes time to get used to it however.

Maybe a (youtube) game play tutorial would help.
Boromir

Post by Boromir »

badidea wrote:I understand that a keyboard interface is better for an experienced player. For a beginner, it takes time to get used to it however.

Maybe a (youtube) game play tutorial would help.
That sounds like a good idea. If I can find the time I'll try to make and upload one.
Boromir

Post by Boromir »

I launched this game on steam. This game is still available to play for free via the Love Letter to FreeBASIC contest thread.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=27069&p=258316&hil ... re#p258316

https://www.indiedb.com/games/basic-warfare
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1213 ... ic_Warfare