FBeginner Preview

New to FreeBASIC? Post your questions here.
Fragmeister

Post by Fragmeister »

Cool. will do.
andykmv

Re: updating the FreeBasic Beginner's Guide

Post by andykmv »

I have read through chunks of the source documents for this book on @patrickw99 's github page https://github.com/patrickw99/Freebasic_user_guide and it's apparent some work is needed to resync the source documents with the pdf content, so has any work started yet @patrickw99 ? i am interested in helping out on this project.

I have briefly looked at chapters 1-7, the master document, chapter documents and the styles in the document (but havent gone through the template yet) so it looks pretty easy to work with but will prob take a couple of weeks to get all sources synced.

i did a few passes through with spell and grammar checkers with word, ooo2.2.1 and libreoffice 6.x to check the sources and either ooo2.2.1 or libreoffice 6.x would be preferable as Word did some weird things to the sources. Docos appear to be ODF 1.2 format from entries in the meta.xml file inside the ODT file.

Let me know if you would like some help @patrickw99.
patrickw99

Re: FBeginner Preview

Post by patrickw99 »

I have updated the formatting of several chapters. I have also integrated in some of the formatting from andykmv. My current goal is to get the basic formatting done and them go through and update the content. If any one is willing to help with proof reading and finding errors (ripping it apart) that would help.

patrickw99
Kwabbernoot

Post by Kwabbernoot »

Maybe it is already changed, but in 2012 I've found the following errors:
An error in the example of the EQV function (page 63) line 31: myInt1 > 5 should be: myInt > 3. The same error on the next page showing the results of the example.
JordanMorris

Post by JordanMorris »

Last edited by JordanMorris on Dec 02, 2021 9:09, edited 4 times in total.
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

JordanMorris wrote: I spotted anything on website page forty four record 5.2 while you isolated the street you fail to depict the "cdecl" request and I couldn't see it wherever else inside the booklet.
If you really want 'up to date' information, see: FB-Manual/cdecl
There where plenty of changes in the compiler(s), since that Introduction was written.
patrickw99

Post by patrickw99 »

I am looking for help on updating the freebasic beginners guide. I can use help on the following.

1. spell checking all chapters.
2. recreating the tables in each chapter
3. simple formatting. ie removing unneeded spaces, new lines, making sure each paragraph has unneeded newlines removed. ect.
4. I need someone to help copy out all source code examples and place into their own files.

This is the first step in what I want to do. You can check out the files you want to work on from my github page.
https://github.com/patrickw99/Freebasic_user_guide

please let me know what chapter you are working on by updating the fourm.

thanks
Patrickw99
patrickw99

Post by patrickw99 »

I also want to thank Kwabbernoot , JordanMorris and MrSwiss for pointing out changes that need to be made. Please keep them coming.

patrickw99
Ticknor

Post by Ticknor »

When can we expect those changes by the way?
andykmv

Post by andykmv »

@patrickw99,

which document editting tool have you settled on using for this task ? (eg LibreOffice ? and version ?) i was using libreoffice 6.0.6.2 and i propose to continue using it unles you have a preferred tool to use.

and i wanted to check whether you are still using the master document etc and section/chapter files in the root of the repo.

Cheers,
Andy
andykmv

Post by andykmv »

patrickw99 wrote:I am looking for help on updating the freebasic beginners guide. I can use help on the following.
4. I need someone to help copy out all source code examples and place into their own files.
I had also grabbed all the code files off Richard's website - zip file of the code files is here:
https://github.com/andykmv/Freebasic_us ... er_src.zip

the files in the Code folder I IIRC had started to go thru, and convert, but they will need to be reviewed and, IIRC richard had inserted some intentional errors in some of these programs as part of the tutorials.

these two chunks together should if i recall be all the code files for the user guide.
patrickw99

Post by patrickw99 »

I have been work hard on This rewrite. I have the first 7 chapters done and I need someone to rip them apart. Not formatting, but for content and errors.

It can be downloaded at https://sourceforge.net/projects/fbeginner/

patrickw99
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

patrickw99 wrote:I have been work hard on This rewrite. I have the first 7 chapters done and I need someone to rip them apart. Not formatting, but for content and errors.
I don't know if you saw it, but one of the original authors of the ebook has been working on it too, and quite recently. Have a look:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28813

Perhaps you may want to combine efforts with him?