"A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Feb 2019 –Mar 2019) - Round 2

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Tourist Trap

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Feb 2019 –Mar 2019) - Round 2

Post by Tourist Trap »

gothon wrote: @Tourist Trap, I downloaded your game and was able to compile it however it terminates with the message:

Code: Select all

dodicat's fonts inside...
running Landeel's DPI awareness system...
DPI : Error loading shcore.dll
This is probably because Windows 7 doesn't have a shcore.dll to use for DPI awareness.
Oh thanks. So I would have to test for the version of windows used.
In any case you can just delete the IfDef WIN32 or similar at the very beginning of the code. Then it should work. It is still not managing very well screens below 1920x1050... I'll do better next time.

Thanks for the news about your very incredible game.
badidea

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Feb 2019 –Mar 2019) - Round 2

Post by badidea »

I tried you game on windows (also works on linux via wine), but I don't know what I am supposed to do.
I get click on this rotating dna-strand and then I can navigate in this square area but then I don't know.
At least I know now how (lots of ow :-) FXM looks like.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

badidea wrote: I tried you game on windows (also works on linux via wine), but I don't know what I am supposed to do.
I get click on this rotating dna-strand and then I can navigate in this square area but then I don't know.
At least I know now how (lots of ow :-) FXM looks like.
Hello badidea,

happy to hear you tried my little game. It's voluntary that I left a little of searching on how to use the interface, since the game is easy by nature, and I set it to very easy at the last minute to make sure it will be winnable (due to randomness in the DNA).

Ok, so you met FXM. Yes it's a very young man :) Then you did almost all well. What you need to know now is that once a DNA part selected, you go for a search for keywords. That's signaled by a red square. When you navigate on a red square, you can click on a little button over and grab the keyword. There is only one keyword by selectable dna part.

I must warn you, keep around coordinates 0,0. If you go to far, you'll be lost. That's the only trap of this adventure.

Thanks for your interest. I project to look at your rotating games concept more in depth when I have time. Just to prove how this brings a lot of fun easily.
fxm

Post by fxm »

Tourist Trap wrote:Ok, so you met FXM. Yes it's a very young man :)
A very young man of 68 years
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

fxm wrote:
Tourist Trap wrote:Ok, so you met FXM. Yes it's a very young man :)
A very young man of 68 years
Yes but with vivid brain of a youngster :)
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Hello guys.

Sorry for disappearing for a while. I feel a bit under the weather lately, and also, the round outcome really didn't make me terribly excited.

Anyway, what's there is there, here is the list of final entries in round 2:

FreeBASIC Coevolution by Tourist Trap: http://games.freebasic.net/Competitions ... IP2804.zip
FreeBASIC vs Tetris by badidea: http://games.freebasic.net/Competitions ... -04-29.zip
Spacsii by FXG861: http://games.freebasic.net/Competitions ... -Final.zip

Hope to find time next weekend to wrap this up. I probably won't run a community poll. Doesn't make much sense with 3 entries, in my opinion.
Last edited by Lachie Dazdarian on May 07, 2019 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
badidea

Post by badidea »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:FreeBASIC vs Tetris by badidea[/b]: http://games.freebasic.net/Competitions ... -04-08.zip
Hi, can you use this version? (posted above, but not e-mailed)
freebasic_vs_tetris_2019-04-29.zip (~5 MB)
dafhi

Post by dafhi »

@Tourist Trap .. DPI: error loading shcore.dll

FXG861: engaging! music sets a great atmosphere
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

dafhi wrote:@Tourist Trap .. DPI: error loading shcore.dll
Yes I know. You probably have a version of windows older than 10. Anyway, not your fault, you can just uncomment this line:

Code: Select all

#include once "inc/landeelDpiAwarerenessSetter.bas"
It should be ok then! :)
Lachie Dazdarian

badidea wrote:
Lachie Dazdarian wrote:FreeBASIC vs Tetris by badidea[/b]: http://games.freebasic.net/Competitions ... -04-08.zip
Hi, can you use this version? (posted above, but not e-mailed)
freebasic_vs_tetris_2019-04-29.zip (~5 MB)
Sorry, fixed!
Lachie Dazdarian

I'm having some personal issues, and I'm failing to find energy to wrap this up. I'm hoping I'll be able to do it in October. I think we'll only have prize one award, due the limited amount and state of entries submitted.

I apologize for dropping the ball, but I just can't help it atm.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:I'm having some personal issues, and I'm failing to find energy to wrap this up. I'm hoping I'll be able to do it in October. I think we'll only have prize one award, due the limited amount and state of entries submitted.

I apologize for dropping the ball, but I just can't help it atm.
Hi,

Thanks for the news. I think I can say that here nobody feels ant hurry. This part of the competition was already an extension that lasted very extensively.
As for being disturbed by real life, we all are, me first. Proof: I just came into your news now in September, while it occurred in July. (I also missed the historical where Chineese had a tour around the forum...).