Squares

General FreeBASIC programming questions.
albert

Re: Squares

Post by albert »

A little more on my hardness theory..

You might be able to make solid mercury by heating it and the cooling it rapidly like hardened steel... ( ice water )

Another twist...

You might be able to make diamond rebar:
By super heating carbon rods to 10,000 - 20,000 degrees , and dropping them into ice water or maybe a liquid gas like helium or nitrogen..

@Richard

My term "Hardness" is how hard is it to flex a span of material....
If i take a 5 foot length of rebar and put the end into a vise to hold it steady , how much force do i have to put on the other end to make it flex.
It doesn't take much force , to make the rebar flex. only a few times harder than it takes water to flex.
( How hard is it to make the end of the rebar flex a millimeter or micron ?? )

Water density may play a role in waters ability to flex??
But then the ships in sea water would displace less water than ships in fresh water , if density is considered.
Sea water is more dense that fresh water. it would flex less if you consider the density...

Maybe what I've been calling "Hardness" is surface tension of water?? How hard is it to break the surface tension of water?
Maybe : its not surface tension , maybe it's the elasticity of water?
How much force does it take to make ripples in water? That would be the flex force "Hardness" of water..( probably a factor of surface tension..)
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

After watching last night's film (San Andreas), I have decided I don't want to create an earthquake.
(In case Hollywood decides to make a movie about it).
The general drift of your proposal does not conflict with physics, because that is what physics is all about, trying to rationalise natural events and put numbers to them, so we can use them to our benefit.
Putting numbers to liquid hardness would be useful in the very far future for say landing peopled capsules on planetary oceans.
Because physics is an experimental science, we would have prepared tables for the most common oceans, methane, liquid nitrogen, liquid hydrogen, super cooled liquid water e.t.c.
There would also be tables for more solid surfaces, sand, basalt, sludge, slime e.t.c.
Redditts would be an ideal unit of hardness, it rolls off the tongue better than swisss, richards, jj2007s, knattertons, badideass,( especialy badideass), e.t.c. . . .
badidea

Post by badidea »

The Redditt as a measure of ignorance sounds more appropriate to me.
I understand that the San Andreas movie scores high on the Redditt scale.
albert

Post by albert »

The "Hardness" , is :

If you take a flat bottom boat , 1 square inch in diameter ,
How hard do you need to push it down , to make the water flex?? Might be measured in PSI

The "Hardness" is that "Flex Force".. 1 Redditt is that PSI

Maybe you could say:
You have to put "w" weight into the boat to make it sink 1 micron (flex) .. That weight is the PSI or 1 Redditt.

You put the boat on the 24" , 440 Hz guitar string , and you need 11,662 times more weight to make the string , flex a micron..

==============================================================================================
So: It goes to say:
I a speaker at volume 1 can cause 1 micron ripples in water.
The wineglass at 4.68 hardness ( requires volume 4.68 ) to make 1 micron ripples in the wineglass.
( not sure if the volume level steps up that way , incrementally ? )

Not sure at different volumes? volume 10 on the speaker , might cause 1/4 inch ripples in the water? ( rather than 10 microns. )
The guy in the video was wearing hearing protection at the volume level to break the glass.
The guy that breaks wineglasses with his voice Jaime Vendera probably hits 100 Decibles to break the glass...
So you could probably say, it takes 20 decibles to ripple water , and 4.68 times that to break the wineglass.
albert

Post by albert »

It's 7:29

Heaven bunny fine
albert

Post by albert »

From the internet:

===============================================================================================================
The Forces Involved

Buoyancy – The upward force exerted on an object (in our case two pontoons) by the water, or whatever fluid an object is in.
Displacement – The downward force of the object or the force that’s pushing away the water or our fluid when our pontoons are immersed. If the boat is stable, the buoyancy and displacement forces are equal.
Volume – The physical space of our pontoons.

Let’s back things up just a bit and analyze the forces of water displacement a bit more. Archimedes Principle states that the buoyant force (upward force) of an object submerged in a fluid is the same as the weight of the fluid that is being displaced by the object. Also, if we know that the weight of water is approximately 62 lbs per cubic foot, that means that a square box that’s 1 cubic foot will support it’s own weight and can be filled with other objects up to 62 pounds before sinking.

===============================================================================================================

So: a 1 square foot boat 1 foot high , sinks at 62 pounds... There's 1728 cubic inches in a cubic foot . so it would take

( 62 pounds * 16 ounces = 992 ounces )
992 \ 1728 = 0.574 ounces , to sink a cubic inch boat.
1728 \ 992 = 1.741 ounces , to sink a cubic inch boat..
( not sure which formula it would be.. )

You would take the ounces ( .574 or 1.741) and divide that by the amount , you want to sink the boat by.. 1/8" , 1 milli-metrer , 1/4" etc...

1.741 \ 8 = 0.217 ( 0.217 ounces , to sink the cubic inch boat an 1/8 inch. )

0.217 × 11.662 = 2.537 ounces to flex the guitar string 1/8 inch..
albert

Post by albert »

If you take a cubic inch boat and push it up and down in the water , it would make 1 inch waves in the water.
If you push it up & down at a certain rate you can get rogue waves in the water , that would be a lot bigger than an inch..

Just like you can get rogue waves in water ( earth quake / wave amplification )
You can create rogue waves in solids , by pulsing them at a certain rate.

If two 1 inch high waves , come together at the right phase , it will create a wave bigger than either wave. ( Rogue. / wave amplification )
On the ocean , 2 , 40 foot waves coming together , would create an 80 foot wave...

So:
If you pulse the wine glass , at its resonance 337.5 Hz and then use a second speaker at half that frequency.
It should cause rogue waves in the wineglass..

When you pluck a guitar string , you pluck it , at less than half its length..
So the waves come together out of phase. and the string breaks into harmonics.

Placing a speaker on each side of the wine glass , at half the resonance (168.75 Hz ) , should create rogue waves in the glass.
albert

Post by albert »

One of you guys , schooled in calculus, should do a paper on it..

Call the paper:

"Wave phasing , to cause "rogue waves" in solids , liquids and gasses".

Maybe get a Nobel Prize in physics...
albert

Post by albert »

In the car stereo world, they use Iso-barric chambers to get a bigger subwoofer waves..
The Iso-barric chamber , is two sub woofers pushing against each other.

It's like fluid hydraulics, you push down a 4 inch piston and the output is 1 inch,
The fluid would come out faster and under more pressure ,than your pushing the piston down.
albert

Post by albert »

I'm not exactly sure Tesla's "Earth Quake Machine" was a resonator??

The wineglass breaks at 337.5 Hz at "v" loudness...
At "v" loudness it flexes like 1/4 inch and then breaks..

You should be able to break the wineglass , with a single pulse with 1/4 inch woofer throw.

1/4 to 8/4 pulses a second at 1/4 throw , should earth quake the glass into breaking..

I'm not exactly sure , you would need the resonant frequency??
Placing a speaker on each side of the glass, and then pulsing at 1/2 the resonance.?? Should work the same or better.
Pulsing the two speakers at 1 hz should create rogue waves ( when the two waves come together. )
Not sure you would need resonance..

You could say: You could blow a building away with a woofer 50 foot in diameter with a 2 foot throw at two pulses a second
Last edited by albert on Jun 17, 2019 22:18, edited 3 times in total.
albert

Post by albert »

Found this on the internet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders_of ... (pressure)

1–10 kPa Typical explosion peak overpressure needed to break glass windows (approximate)[37]

Maybe you don't need to apply all that pressure at one time..
Maybe you could split the pressure out over several pulses?

A rogue wave at .001 kPa might add up to the required pressure?
albert

Post by albert »

For Tesla's "Earth Quake Machine"

One of you guys , schooled in Calculus, should do a paper on it..
Call the paper:
"Wave phasing , to cause "rogue waves" in solids , liquids and gasses". Maybe get a Nobel Prize in physics...

I'm not sure you need resonance , to Earth Quake an object..
I think you can make rogue waves at frequencies lower than the resonance..

I'd need an aquarium and a plunger that can be set to different plunge rates and forces, to experiment on rogue waves in liquids..
Maybe ; get a college to do the experiments for me???

Once you figure the rogue waves in liquids.. Solids are just the same only harder. And gasses are the same only softer.
Richard

Post by Richard »

@Albert.
That research was done earlier and written up by John Scott Russell in 1885.
“The Wave of Translation in the Oceans of Water, Air, and Ether”.
It is now in the public domain;
https://ia802604.us.archive.org/24/item ... ssgoog.pdf
albert

Post by albert »

@Richard

I scanned through the book by John Scott Russel 1885

Nice read..
He speaks in layman terms and not in scientific formulas..It's easy to follow.

I couldn't find the section on "Rogue Waves" or "Tidal Waves"
What page is it on???

I used to live in Ohio , On lake Erie..
Lake Erie is a flat "slate bottom" lake , only 20 foot deep.. There are some holes that go down to 50 to 120 feet deep , but mostly it 20 foot deep..
During the "Gales of November" you can get 32 foots waves.. 12 foot higher than the lake is deep...

So in an aquarium 1 inch deep , you should be able to get waves 1.5 to 2 or more inches high.. (rogue waves)
What would be the frequency and or pressure needed to create those "Rogue Waves" ??
Figure out how to create a rogue wave in water and solids and gasses are only a step away.. ( harder or softer )
Richard

Post by Richard »

Read the book carefully.
Page 73 explains that waves are the same even when initiated by different causes.
Russell was first to describe the tidal wave phenomenon. He classified it as a “solitary wave”. They are now called “solitons”. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soliton