Unable to access fb.net forums

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
fxm

Re: Unable to access fb.net forums

Post by fxm »

In total there are 63 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 57 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Thank you.
User counts have now returned to consistent values.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

I was going to post earlier but decided to leave it for a while because before 10 am, UK time, the 'users online' seemed normal and then at 10 am we started to get hammered again and mid-afternoon saw 969 users online.

It is coming up to five hours since your last post, fxm, and no silly numbers so the storm may well have passed. Whether our 'friend' has backed off or coderJeff has come up trumps we may never know and don't need to know. What I do know is that coderJeff has enough on his plate without this recent hassle and has probably been working flat out to get us out of trouble.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Oh dear, I came back to check something out before going to bed and the response time was poor. The users online was 1696. The link I wanted to visit didn't work and the users online had gone up to 1975. I tried a few more times and saw 2009 figuring we were close to a meltdown. I then closed my browser and couldn't get back. I got back and the users online has dropped to 1630. It then went into meltdown and I got back with the users online at just over 1000.

Our 'friend' is undoubtedly reading this thread, left us alone for five hours, saw a sigh of relief and then put the boot in again.

Mr/Ms attacker.

If you were trying to prove a point you have made it. What you are doing is way past my pay grade. If you were hoping to get some members to start pulling their hair out then you will fail on that one. The vast majority of members here are 'getting on' in years and stopped pulling their hair out on issues a long time ago, assuming that they have any hair left.

You are probably a young person and I remember being young and a bit of a rascal.

You should put your skills to good use, there are not that many folk with your skills on this side of the fence. I have an exe which I should like to protect from anti-debugging. You would have more fun out of helping me and others than bringing this website down. Don't believe me? Give it a try, join us - we use usernames and not real names. Hell, we could do with some young blood, assuming I got that right. Image
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

deltarho[1859] wrote:Hell, we could do with some young blood, assuming I got that right.
He listened to you, apparently: Users browsing this forum: jj2007 and 1 guest
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Woke up gasping for a cup of tea, so I'm just waiting for the kettle to boil.

I have 120 users online including 116 guests. Early days yet because yesterday morning we were in the 50s online and then the heavens opened up.

I doubt that he would join us because his expertise would soon be spotted and some folk here may go 'gunning' for him. If he admitted his mischievousness I would stand by him because it would be a very courageous thing to do, and we know what I am like when I get a 'bee in my bonnet'.

He/she may just take on board what I wrote and then disappear into the ether.

Anyway, we shall see - my kettle has boiled. Image
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

I wonder if it's position-dependent: jj2007 and 1 guest
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

coderJeff wrote "100+ unique IP's every minute, creating dozens of page requests every second. I'm reluctant to report what I know about the attacker or what the counter measure plan is here in the open because last thing I want to do is give the attacker pointers for improvement."
@deltarho[1859] : We can not consider reaching out to this or these people because 1 °) we are not hacker and we are committed to the respect of the legality and the defense of the Public domain, 2 °) nothing proves to us that the The attacker is not paid to do what he does and his motives may not be ideological.
@ jj2007: I invite you to share directly with coderJeff your suggestions rather than go through the forum.
Yours faithfully.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Lost Zergling wrote:We can not consider reaching out to this or these people because 1 °) we are not hacker and we are committed to the respect of the legality and the defense of the Public domain, 2 °) nothing proves to us that the The attacker is not paid to do what he does and his motives may not be ideological.
I have an answer to your statements which will 'floor' you but I will not make it public. You may press me if you wish but it will be to no avail.
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

You're welcome. Missunderstanding, must be. We have the same concerns, only the approach differs, shall be. You may find my email in LZLE licence. I did so because not being anonymous is a condition for an open source licence to be valid.
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

Lost Zergling wrote:@ jj2007: I invite you to share directly with coderJeff your suggestions rather than go through the forum
Which suggestions? Your post doesn't make sense.
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

I beg your pardon if my susceptibility struck you. There was no will of malice on my part towards you.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

We have sailed past 10 am, my worry time, with 39 users online. No further comment is required.
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

unfortunately, the attacker was at again about 14 hours ago, but this forum was not the only victim, other sites had problems also.
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

About an hour ago, the forum was offline again - timeout. Now it's only 2 guests. Our hacker is enjoying this game ;-)
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

jj2007 wrote:... the forum was offline again - timeout ...
Same here :-(

Joshy