Why did you choose FreeBASIC?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
marcov

Re: Why did you choose FreeBASIC?

Post by marcov »

I'm not going to say much about the subject, but as something to think about: would we really have had this discussion if I had used C/C++ as example language? The problem however with C as example for language development is that it stopped evolving in the late seventies on the state of development in the early seventies.

C++ while tremendously advanced and influential on some parts (like templates and STL in particular), is awkward in other things due to its gestation period and C compatibility/influence, most notably the way how multiple modules combine to programs (only the most recent standardstarts to change that, but there is a long way ago.

So for that I use Pascal as an example. This is also not ideal, because the frozen in state is only slightly more modern (1977-1985 timeframe), but at least was somewhat revolutionary for the time. I could also argue using e.g. Java/C#, which follow a slightly newer model (Oberon, one of Pascal's successors, 1987), but the gap with what FB currently has, and how it is used would even be bigger.

And the first question in this thread is about how you use it on the commandline, which I widen to ease of use for simple notepad/commandline compile jobs. And for that IMHO, the modular Pascal dialects (Turbo/Delphi/FPC and some meanwhile dead standard pascals) really shine.

systemctl: I haven't touched TP for decades, and I don't work in the educational sector. I don't think I fit the job description
geofs

Post by geofs »

G'day,

I was looking for a language for writing scripts for some tasks I needed to perform in my workplace.
I started programming with BASIC on my SHARP MZ-700 8 Bit computer in the early 1980's. I have since tried to learn PASCAL, PYTHON & RUBY, all proved to be difficult for my 52 year old brain which hasn't written code for over 30 years :) ...
Kuron

Post by Kuron »

systemctl wrote:Why did you choose FreeBASIC?
I needed something that would run on FreeDOS. I used the DOS version of FB for a while before joining the forums.
Landeel

Post by Landeel »

systemctl wrote:Why did you choose FreeBASIC?
I wanted to develop games using GPU rendering (OpenGL) and a familiar programming language.
jepalza

Post by jepalza »

(google translate)
I made my first program in Multitech MPF-1 in Basic (1980?), and in ZX81 Basic in 1981, and in 1982 my first commercial "video game", a conversion of the "Frogger" for ZX Spectrum (in Spectrum Basic) that was published in the Spanish magazine "Microhobby" 1984 (I have a recognition for being THE FIRST PROGRAMMER OF VIDEO GAMES FROM THE BASQUE COUNTRY) In 1987 I did a conversational adventure for CPC6128 completely in Basic (Abracadrabra) that was sold commercially in Spain.. Since then I have not stopped programming in BASIC, and when I discovered FB in 2005-6, I have not stopped using it since. Applications especially for the CAD/CAM/CNC world, which has led me to program a lot for 3D.

(original español)
Hice mi primer programa en Multitech MPF-1 en Basic (¿1980?), y en ZX81 Basic en 1981, y en 1982 mi primer "video juego" comercial, una conversion del "Frogger" para ZX Spectrum(en Basic Spectrum) que se publicó en la revista Española "Microhobby" 1984 (tengo un reconocimiento por ser EL PRIMER PROGRAMADOR DE VIDEOJUEGOS DEL PAIS VASCO). En 1987 hice una aventura conversacional para CPC6128 completamente en Basic (Abracadrabra) que se vendió comercialmente en España.. Desde entonces no he dejado de programar en BASIC, y cuando descubri FB en 2005-6 , no he parado de usarlo desde entonces. Aplicaciones sobre todo para el mundo CAD/CAM/CNC, lo que me ha llevado a programar mucho para 3D.
jepalza

Post by jepalza »

geofs wrote:G'day,
I started programming with BASIC on my SHARP MZ-700 8 Bit computer in the early 1980's. I have since tried to learn PASCAL, PYTHON & RUBY, all proved to be difficult for my 52 year old brain which hasn't written code for over 30 years :) ...
You are like me: mi first program was in 1980, and i'm 52 years' old !! ;-)
chung

Post by chung »

you are youngsters , i am 60 !
aurelVZAB

Post by aurelVZAB »

So i decide to make account on that forum and i get this :

It looks like this forum doesn't exist any more. The forum admin has opted to remove it from the ProBoards service.

If you want, you can go ahead and create your own free forum with ProBoards!

So i am asking WHAT a HECK iS THIS ?
you open forum and you close forum ..why is all that ? if iy not top secret ?????
aurelVZAB

Post by aurelVZAB »

and i'm 52 years' old !!...

what a heck to much people here are born 1969,,heh he
systemctl

Post by systemctl »

aurelVZAB wrote:So i decide to make account on that forum and i get this :

It looks like this forum doesn't exist any more. The forum admin has opted to remove it from the ProBoards service.

If you want, you can go ahead and create your own free forum with ProBoards!

So i am asking WHAT a HECK iS THIS ?
you open forum and you close forum ..why is all that ? if iy not top secret ?????
Yes. I deleted it. No one join this forum other than dodicat. Most of them just read, I have about 30 guests browsing my forum on the last 24 hours (the value is stable, it's just around 30 guests everyday). The forum has 5 user accounts, 1 is dodicat, 1 is my Admin account, 3 are just my own clones to populate the forum with contents (people said it's empty so they don't care about it). After a while I'm tired of all of this.

My health is started to worse because of obesity. My eyes started to blurr. I can't code anymore. I only logged in to answer you. I still check this forum regulary, but don't login. It seemed it has become quiet recently. Perhaps because lock down is lifted and everyone back to work.
caseih

Post by caseih »

I'm sorry to hear about your health, @systemctl. I hope your vision returns to normal soon. And of course I hope the current crisis comes to an end soon! Activity-wise, this forum seems about the same as it's been for a while now.
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

A little over a year ago, I had to suffer from some health problems. It was serious and I passed close not to come back. I had to stay away from the forum for a few months. Today I am doing well. I hope you keep hope and be able to code again.
jepalza

Post by jepalza »

Wow!! Some of us are not that young anymore ...

Jepalza (me) 52
Geofs 52
aurelVZAB 52
Chung 60
jj2007 64
deltarho[1859] 72½ (ups!!!)

It is easy to understand why we like BASIC

FreeBASIC forever !!!!
Last edited by jepalza on May 26, 2020 12:22, edited 2 times in total.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Wippersnappers! Image

deltarho[1859] 72½
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

deltarho[1859] wrote:deltarho[1859] 72½
I was convinced that 1859 was your year of birth ;-)

Almost 64 over here!