Getting old

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
dodicat

Re: Getting old

Post by dodicat »

Is that why you have all those bird boxes in your garden, to lure the unsuspecting moggy?
What do your neighbours think, are they cat lovers also?
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

badidea wrote:How would we know the the difference?
What, between an alien race and some deity?

Well, that is easy enough. If an alien race is capable of correcting us there would be a strong likelihood of them being without sin. Some, if not all, of deity are riddled with sin and spend an inordinate amount of time repenting.

I am in need of a tongue-in-cheek smilie.
dodicat wrote:Is that why you have all those bird boxes in your garden, to lure the unsuspecting moggy?
No, I should think that he has three of four roast sparrow with his bacon and eggs of a morning. An unsuspecting moggy would be a bonus.
badidea

Post by badidea »

The cat-reference is to the posted image in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28409&hilit=nesting ... 45#p270736

I go back to coding now. This topic derailed a bit.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

@badidea

You are a sport letting us 'pull your leg'. Image
badidea

Post by badidea »

A bit more 'on-topic'; some people believe or have suggested that persons born today might have eternal life (How Google's Calico aims to fight aging and 'solve death' or Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow or this (for me) local guy). I think that they overestimate the human knowledge (and progress of it), maybe because they get more money if they do so. But if they are right, that sounds like a problem to me. Unless, indeed, we find other places (planets) where we can live.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

badidea wrote:Unless, indeed, we find other places (planets) where we can live.
For humanity to survive, even with a life expectancy, that has been put forward quite a few times over the years. Stephen Hawking was a great advocate. There is nothing in our solar system worth populating, in so far as an off the shelf suitable environment. The nearest exoplanet is about 4.2 light years away, so we will need to develop some kind of warp drive unless the visiting aliens correcting our bad behaviour would be willing to lend us some of their kit.
TeeEmCee

Post by TeeEmCee »

grindstone wrote:Just for curiosity: Does anybody know what programming language(s) today's coding - juniors use? Do they code at all? Or do they content theirselfes with slandering at the social media?
As a low-order-bitter I hate to intrude, but HackerRank has run surveys since 2018 which provide fascinating answers to this and more. They provide a small selection of stats, often broken down by age, seniority or country. The questions differ every year.
2018, 2019, 2020 (only partly free), Students 2018, Women 2018, Women 2019

For example, the UK (of course) leads the world in having the most respondents who learned to program before age 10 at 10.7%. (But there's a sizable gap between men and women.)

I'm surprised to see that C is the most-known language amongst current students, although not among all developers. Probably because they're very likely exposed to it in EE or advanced CS courses, while many programmers didn't go to university.

I'm also surprised to see that far fewer developers under 38 years started by programming a game, instead they create websites or... calculators?

And of course, taste in music for programming to by age.
grindstone

Post by grindstone »

@TeeEmCee: Thank you for looking out that surveys, I find them quite interesting, seems today's youth is better than their reputation. *grin*

I was surprised that there are programmers who don't know C, for I think you simply can't get around that language if you seriously deal with coding.

And maybe I should have a look at JavaScript after all...
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Hi All

When I was 36 I had a brain tumour that grew around my pituitary gland.
It squeezed it so hard that eventually (after being on morphine for a week) that it burst and the blood surrounded the tumour
which took out the tumour.
I was very lucky , no operation, but doctors didn't know what had happened.
MRI scans show the main part of the pituitary is gone.

Afterwards I was in Inner Mongolia installing machines for months when the
first signs were, not shaving for weeks, growing breasts , losing concentration.
I destroyed three company cars, by the mind wondering whilst driving at speed.
Could not read a page of text without reading it ten times, even something I had written.

Now I regulate the important hormone (testosterone) manually with a gel.
That has it's own benefits. :) :)
And others with tablets. Been healthy ever since.
But as the pituitary is responsible for all hormones in the body it controls the ageing.
So, I am still 36 even though born in 1946

That's my excuse anyway.

When I tell this tale at a gathering ,my wife interupts and says "Have you looked in the mirror lately"

Regards
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

@Dinosaur. Indeed. Till you see yourself close to death, you do not wonder about the quality of your brain vs your other organs. 4 ops, 3 RMI. Indeed a youngster I think I might challenge you a little. Regards.