Squares

General FreeBASIC programming questions.
srvaldez

Re: Squares

Post by srvaldez »

@dodicat
sorry to hear about health problem, get well soon :-)
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

coderJeff wrote:- you *must* consider the possibility that lossless compression of random data is impossible
Albert cannot do that - he has a fixation.
- that there are a number of fine folks here trying to help you - look and listen closer to what they are saying before posting anything
Albert cannot do that either - he has a fixation.

Check out the definition of fixation, albert is 'locked in'.

We cannot converse with someone with autism using normal methods of communication. Their perception is grossly flawed, and we need to understand how they perceive before we can get anywhere.

What concerns me about suspending access is that albert may perceive that as a punishment and then develop a persecution complex; the last thing that he wants on top of autism and schizophrenia.

Somehow he needs to understand that most, if not all, members have emotions, unlike himself for the most part which he acknowledges, so a suspension would be for the community and not a punishment on him. That is a true state because very few members, if not all, do not want to punish albert for a condition that he was born with.

I hope you are reading this albert because no one wishes you ill. I hope you understand that but I cannot tell whether you do or not. I am sat here with my fingers crossed hoping that you do.

If you want to talk to someone on this talk to me, not Admin - you know what Admin are like. I cannot promise to understand you because I am not autistic and that is not my fault because I was born without it. Image
angros47

Post by angros47 »

Please, let's avoid clichés about autism. People with autism have emotions like everyone else, what they lack is some communication skills.

If you say "Albert cannot do that - he has a fixation.", well, I fear this is not the right place for him, then. This forum is not for everyone, there are several conditions that make a person unsuitable for such a forum (all people who are not able to use English are not allowed to post on this forum, for example, and this is not a punishment).

In my opinion, a ban, in such a case, is not a "punishment", just as revoking the driving license to someone who has too slow reactions is not a punishment: it is not their fault, but they lack something that is needed to drive safely.

As I stated before, I, too, would have liked to help albert, but I saw it was impossible, since he entered a dead end and refused to turn back.
albert

Yah-Zip

Post by albert »

@Dodicat

Are you okay Dodicat???
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

Yea OK Albert, just a bit wheezy.
Thanks for asking, and srvaldez.
A wet and windy West coast doesn't help.
I have my new machine up and running, Win 10.
I need to get an external hd case from Ebay to get hold of my files from the hard drive in my broken box.
It is impossible to find previous stuff from the forum search any more, all code in code blocks is hidden from the search engine.
I think it must be a British Leyland design.
albert

Post by albert »

@Dodicat

Windows 10 , can be hacked very easily by hackers...

I got rid of Windows 10.. And installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.
Ubuntu Is a British distro of Linux...It's better than SUSE or RedHat or Mint or Slackware..

I got it set up to have an encrypted hard-drive and encrypted home folder..
The down side is you , have to keep typing in the passwords for the updates.. and every time you log out..

They send you "auto updates" , and you have to type in the password for the updater to access the hard-drive..

Other than the password thingy, i haven't noticed any hacking or changing files now , in several years.
albert

Post by albert »

My printer took a nose dive...and also ran out of ink...

So i was searching for printers online...

I found out , that there are no printers that don't need ink or toner...

I thought Laser Printers , simply burned the paper to different degrees with the laser , giving somewhat of a grey scale..
But instead , the laser melts the toner to the paper..

I prefer my idea of burning the dots on the paper.... The longer the laser sits on a point , the darker it gets.
Going form tan , to dark brown , to black.. Like roasting barley malt for beer ( Pilsner , Lager , Ale , Stout ) and all the in-betweens
Stonemonkey

Post by Stonemonkey »

Put in the wrong paper and it might be roasted nuts you end up with.
albert

Post by albert »

@StoneMonkey

It would work like a toaster , like toasting white bread.. The longer it toasts the darker it gets...
So you get all types of shades from white to black...

I tried HP and Brother , to tell them about my idea for a laser printer , and neither website has a contact form.. you can't send them messages..

Laser toasting , the lasers could be finer than an inkjet point, so you could get way higher resolutions..

=================================================================
@Richard

If i have 8 hex digits.. and need to turn them into a single val.. what would i use.. ???
chr( = 2 )
mkshort( = 4 )

would it be mkl( ?? ) ???

mklongint( = 16 )

The help program won't come up on my linux , so i can't reference it...
================================================================
Last edited by albert on Aug 14, 2020 2:10, edited 1 time in total.
albert

Post by albert »

@Richard

Never mind ,

It was compressing with mkl( 8 hex ) , but i was using val() instead of valulng()

With valulng() it expands..

I wish the coders would fix that , so you can use val for all lengths...
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

albert wrote:I found out , that there are no printers that don't need ink or toner...
What thermal printers are used in 80% of all Supermarket checkouts and the most of all FAX devices.

Joshy
albert

Post by albert »

@D.J.Peters

I searched the web for your , "Thermal Printers"
And all that came up , was small "Label Printers"..

They don't make full paper sized "Thermal Printers"..

Thermal printers are communist... They don't need ink...
So no companies will make a printer , that doesn't need ink..

The companies make more money , selling ink , than they make selling printers..

A printer , costs , like a couple hundred , or less.. and needs like $70 to $140 worth of ink every year..
So after 5 years , you spend more on ink , than the cost of the printer...
Then after 5 years your printer is obsolete and you need to buy a new one... then keep buying more ink....

For my HP DeskJet 3000 , cost $149 , a black ink cartridge costs $30.. And you get like 100 printed pages ,per cartridge..
So it costs like 3 cents a page , to print...
The color cartridge costs $40 and gives you about the same 100 pages..
So i spend about $140 a year ( plus tax ) on ink... More than the costs of the printer...
albert

Post by albert »

I came up with an idea!!!!

Instead of backing up , to a CD-ROM or memory stick..

You can backup to a printer..

The printer can print each 8 to 32 bits to a single dot on the paper..
Then you can use a paper scanner to reread the data back in.. Page by page..

Then you can sort backups to different folders... In your desk drawer..Might be 100 pages or more??? or less???
angros47

Post by angros47 »

albert wrote:I came up with an idea!!!!

Instead of backing up , to a CD-ROM or memory stick..
No one can use a CD-ROM for backup. You can use a CD-R (recordable), or a CD-RW (rewritable) for backup, but a read only memory cannot be used to save your own data