Slim FreeBasic installer for Windows

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
jj2007

Re: Slim FreeBasic installer for Windows

Post by jj2007 »

The WinFBE installer is online, 29% smaller than the original RAR archive. Feedback please.
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

coderJeff wrote:WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) by Paul Squires
The steps are:
- download the package
- download 7-zip or something that can deal with 'rar' packages. (*)
- extract the package (*)
- run WinFBE32 or WinFBE64
- press the 'New File' button
- paste in or type in a program in the *untitled* edit window and press CTRL+SHIFT+F5 to run it.
The WinFBE installer is online, 29% smaller than the original RAR archive. Feedback please...

Unfortunately, when pressing F5, I get this message:
Invalid defined compiler path.
Path: C:\WinFBE_Suite\WinFBE_Suite\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-8.4\fbc32.exe
I tried Tools/Set compiler paths and get another weird message:
I need more than one set of compiler paths.
Dragging HelloWorld.bas over BuildWithNotepad.exe works fine, though.
Xusinboy Bekchanov

Post by Xusinboy Bekchanov »

jj2007 wrote:
coderJeff wrote:WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) by Paul Squires
The steps are:
- download the package
- download 7-zip or something that can deal with 'rar' packages. (*)
- extract the package (*)
- run WinFBE32 or WinFBE64
- press the 'New File' button
- paste in or type in a program in the *untitled* edit window and press CTRL+SHIFT+F5 to run it.
The WinFBE installer is online, 29% smaller than the original RAR archive. Feedback please...

Unfortunately, when pressing F5, I get this message:
Invalid defined compiler path.
Path: C:\WinFBE_Suite\WinFBE_Suite\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-8.4\fbc32.exe
I tried Tools/Set compiler paths and get another weird message:
Dragging HelloWorld.bas over BuildWithNotepad.exe works fine, though.
You must change these settings in WinFBE\Settings\WinFBE.ini:

Code: Select all

[Compiler]
FBWINCompiler32={CURDRIVE}:\WinFBE_Suite\WinFBE_Suite\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-8.4\fbc32.exe
FBWINCompiler64={CURDRIVE}:\WinFBE_Suite\WinFBE_Suite\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-8.4\fbc64.exe
CompilerSwitches=
CompilerHelpfile={CURDRIVE}:\WinFBE_Suite\WinFBE_Suite\Help\freebasic_manual.chm
Win32APIHelpfile={CURDRIVE}:\WinFBE_Suite\WinFBE_Suite\Help\win32_fb.chm
WinFBXHelpfile=
RunViaCommandWindow=0
DisableCompileBeep=0
WinFBXPath=
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Xusinboy Bekchanov wrote:I tried Tools/Set compiler paths and get another weird message:
What is even more weird is using 'Tools/Set compiler paths' with only one compiler path. Image

From drWinFBE_Tools.chm: "SetCompilerPathsII requires a choice of at least two gcc compilers so may be of little interest to many FreeBASIC users."

dr
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

Xusinboy Bekchanov wrote:You must change these settings in WinFBE\Settings\WinFBE.ini:

[Compiler]
FBWINCompiler32={CURDRIVE}:\WinFBE_Suite\WinFBE_Suite\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-8.4\fbc32.exe
Thanks, that did the trick. So what happened?
- n00b jj2007 installs WinFBE_Suite from the rar archive
- for fear to spill files all over the C: root, the n00b chooses to extract to C:\WinFBE_Suite\
- n00b runs C:\WinFBE_Suite\WinFBE_Suite\WinFBE64.exe
- the IDE mutters to itself "strange path, but ok, I'll put it in my settings"
- n00b decides to move the folder one level up to eliminate the double WinFBE_Suite folder
- when launching the IDE again, it discovers that WinFBE.ini has already a compiler path
- but it doesn't work, the IDE barks at the n00b

N00b jj2007 clicks Tools/Set compiler paths and gets a cryptic error message
N00b decides to abandon FreeBasic forever.

This is why an installer is a good idea.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

jj2007 wrote:N00b jj2007 clicks Tools/Set compiler paths and gets a cryptic error message
Cryptic?

Having a Cpaths window with 'Select compiler' and one radio button would be something that no one in their right mind do.

Anyone who cannot understand "I need more than one set of compiler paths." should consider taking up gardening.

As a last resort one could always read the Help file. Image
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

No problem here.
I extracted the .rar file for WinFBE and the ide+compiler ran straight off.
The help (F1) with the cursor on a keyword also fired up straight away.
I have all my freebasic stuff (including now WinFBE) in a folder on the desktop.
Win 10.
aurelVZAB

Post by aurelVZAB »

Perhaps because
- all Windows applications have an installer
- this forum is crammed full of threads dealing with configuration problems
- there are almost no new members around?
1.2.3....now i become "pi_ssed off++" ...he he
i am just a joking ..ok?

Yes jj...i can agree with you
I m not currently in the "coding mood" ..read -> i am lazy (probably because of winter time) heh
but i will try resurect my own FB editor which would be portable,
Last edited by aurelVZAB on Jan 18, 2021 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

dodicat wrote:No problem here.
I extracted the .rar file for WinFBE and the ide+compiler ran straight off.
Same. No problem here extracting the original .rar package.
jj2007 wrote:Thanks, that did the trick. So what happened?
Look like WinFBE creates some files like 'Settings/WinFBE.ini' and configures them on first time use when WinFBE is first executed. I don't think should need to include them in the installer. Looks like you included the WinFBE.ini file from your first install location. If the user were able to choose the install location I think should work OK letting WinFBE do the setup. Also noticed that "español.lang" file has been renamed by your system and/or installer.

Anyone mind if I move several posts over to the slim installer topic?
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

@BasicCoder2:
jj2007 wrote:That is weird. Does ~HelloWorld.exe exist? What happens if you start it manually with a double-click in Explorer?

If ~HelloWorld.exe exists, it was produced by FreeBasic. If not, then fbc.exe itself was the "incompatible" program. Really weird.
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

coderJeff wrote:Anyone mind if I move several posts over to the slim installer topic?
Good idea!
deltarho[1859] wrote:
jj2007 wrote:N00b jj2007 clicks Tools/Set compiler paths and gets a cryptic error message
Cryptic?

Having a Cpaths window with 'Select compiler' and one radio button would be something that no one in their right mind do.

Anyone who cannot understand "I need more than one set of compiler paths." should consider taking up gardening.
I will take up gardening, since in spite of my 35+ years of programming experience I was not able to understand the "Set compiler paths" error message. Thanks for the advice. Btw what is a "Cpaths window"?
Xusinboy Bekchanov

Post by Xusinboy Bekchanov »

coderJeff wrote: Look like WinFBE creates some files like 'Settings/WinFBE.ini' and configures them on first time use when WinFBE is first executed.
Better would be to use relative paths like this:

.\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-8.4\fbc32.exe
.\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-8.4\fbc64.exe
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

I've put the latest, much improved version of the slim FreeBasic installer for Windows at http://www.jj2007.eu/SetupFreeBasic.zip
As you can see, it is now a zip file, just under 16MB. It contains all the 4000+ files of FreeBASIC-1.07.3-win64 plus a simple editor that should enable a n00b to see his first Hello World proggie in action.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

jj2007 wrote:in spite of my 35+ years of programming experience I was not able to understand the "Set compiler paths" error message.
If you don't understand, Jochen, then I give up. It seems to me that my communication skills are vitually non-existent and perhaps I should take up gardening.
Btw what is a "Cpaths window"?
These windows are at the right-hand side of my monitor. I don't type beyond the vertical line/edge margin to the left. They are topmost but if we open another process, like a web browser, on top then they cease to be topmost. On closing the browser, or whatever, they become topmost again. I love automation. Having said that I don't use Paul's designer. I use a piece of A4 paper, a HB pencil., and José Roca's WinFBX Framework. Image Both windows are DPI aware.
Xusinboy Bekchanov wrote:Better would be to use relative paths like this:

.\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-8.4\fbc32.exe
.\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-8.4\fbc64.exe
.\ is for the current directory. My SetCompilerPathsII.ini is in the Tools directory so I use ..\

This is my current SetCompilerPathsII.ini file:

"5.2", "..\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-5.2\fbc32.exe", "..\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-5.2\fbc64.exe"
"6.4", "..\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-6.4\fbc32.exe", "..\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-6.4\fbc64.exe"
"7.4", "..\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-7.4\fbc32.exe", "..\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-7.4\fbc64.exe"
"7.5", "..\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-7.5\fbc32.exe", "..\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-7.5\fbc64.exe"
"8.3", "..\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-8.3\fbc32.exe", "..\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-8.3\fbc64.exe"
"8.4", "..\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-8.4\fbc32.exe", "..\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-8.4\fbc64.exe"
"9.2", "..\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-9.2\fbc32.exe", "..\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-9.2\fbc64.exe"
"9.3", "..\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-9.3\fbc32.exe", "..\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-9.3\fbc64.exe"
"10.1", "..\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-10.1EQ\fbc32.exe", "..\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-10.1EQ\fbc64.exe"

See Alternate GCC Toolchains for WinFBE
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

Updated installer in post #2. This is the complete FreeBasic 1.07 package plus the latest FB manual that I could fine - thanks for feedback on the installation process.

This 17.6MB installer contains a new version of the minimalistic FB builder. You can now select a word, e.g. Sleep, and hit Shift F6 to launch FB help on "Sleep". I hope this is simple enough for newbies who want to see their first Hello World proggie in action...