What ide you use for freebasic?

Linux specific questions.
E.K.Virtanen

What ide you use for freebasic?

Post by E.K.Virtanen »

I have used gedit since installed linux.
At start i used vb.net syntax colors but changed em as "my" fb style.
Works fine, but theres no quick key to compile/run code.
Alltho im pretty fine with using console. Pretty easy on linux, just up key to use for "fbc file.bas" and "./file"

Gedit is also simple and light to use so im happy. Alltho good alternatives would be nice to hear.
red_Marvin

Post by red_Marvin »

gedit or nano, depending on which box I'm on.
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

I use FBIDE, as its the only one I know of.
E.K.Virtanen

Post by E.K.Virtanen »

Clyde wrote:I use FBIDE, as its the only one I know of.
I got it working with wine but crashes when compiling with it.
Paths etc. are ok, but still crashes. Can you compile ok with yours one?
DrV
Site Admin

Post by DrV »

I personally use UltraEdit-32 + cmd.exe + GNU make on Windows and Emacs + bash + GNU make on Linux. A good text editor, a command line, and a make utility is close to the perfect development environment, in my opinion. Other people might have other opinions, though. :)
tunginobi

Re: What ide you use for freebasic?

Post by tunginobi »

lurah wrote:I have used gedit since installed linux.
At start i used vb.net syntax colors but changed em as "my" fb style.
Works fine, but theres no quick key to compile/run code.
Alltho im pretty fine with using console. Pretty easy on linux, just up key to use for "fbc file.bas" and "./file"

Gedit is also simple and light to use so im happy. Alltho good alternatives would be nice to hear.
Would you be so kind as to lend us your syntax file for gedit? I tried making one once, but apart from it being long gone since my system wipe (a while back), I also had problems with some keywords highlighting and others not, and when I changed the order in which they were defined, those would highlight, and old ones would not!

I hate to sound like a beggar, but this is something I'd really appreciate.
Sisophon2001

Post by Sisophon2001 »

SciTE is my choice on Linux. I modified the VB syntax highlighter, but I am told that the most recent release comes with a FreeBASIC syntax highlighter. It is fully modifiable via configuration files, with the result of the compile or build captured in the output window at the bottom of the screen. You will need to study the help file on how to configure it, so you should expect to spend a little time setting it up to your liking. You can also type commands like make directly into the output window, which is very convenient

I keep a terminal window open in the background for command line, and a file browser, much the same way that I would work in windows.

Garvan
tunginobi

Post by tunginobi »

Sisophon2001 wrote:SciTE is my choice on Linux.
I used to use SciTE. But pressing the END key always took me to the end of the logical line (where the linebreak char is), not the physical wrapped line (as the majority of text editors do). That just drove me batty, and why I've given it up for the time being.
Sisophon2001

Post by Sisophon2001 »

tunginobi wrote:I used to use SciTE. But pressing the END key always took me to the end of the logical line (where the linebreak char is), not the physical wrapped line (as the majority of text editors do). That just drove me batty, and why I've given it up for the time being.
You have wrap turned on in a code editor? Never!

The help file says use Alt+End for end of display line in SciTE.

Garvan
E.K.Virtanen

Post by E.K.Virtanen »

tunginobi wrote:Would you be so kind as to lend us your syntax file for gedit?
No prob :) but i like 20 minutes ago removed gnome (including gedit) and installed kde :(
Sisophon2001 wrote:I keep a terminal window open in the background for command line, and a file browser, much the same way that I would work in windows.
Yeah, same here. Console (well, few of em lol) allways open for fbc.
elcalen

Post by elcalen »

Nedit is my editor of choice. But there's no such thing as an IDE for FB in Linux...

And naturally I also have a term or several open. The command line is the heart of Linux use. Never leave home without it! ;) I don't see much use for a file browser, though...
E.K.Virtanen

Post by E.K.Virtanen »

elcalen wrote:I don't see much use for a file browser, though...
You mean linux has file browser too? :D
just kidding. Console rocks
elcalen

Post by elcalen »

Yeah, well, actually I haven't really found a Linux file browser I'm really happy about. (Not that I'm much happier with anything that Windows has to offer, either...) I used to use XFE, but now I mostly use a combination of console commands and Midnight Commander... Getting back to the roots. ;)
Nodtveidt

Post by Nodtveidt »

nedit here. :D
stylin

Post by stylin »