Trying to contact D.J. Peters

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Xman

Trying to contact D.J. Peters

Post by Xman »

Hi Mr Peters,

Are you the same person that is Administrator of: https://gb32.proboards.com/ ?

If so can you contact me.

We would like you to amend a post you made: https://gb32.proboards.com/thread/1/cur ... 2-download

Which is no longer valid.

Member name: (X)
Last edited by Xman on Jan 11, 2022 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
jj2007

Re: Trying to contact D.J. Peters

Post by jj2007 »

@Xman: congrats that you are trying to keep GB32 alive. I've registered now but can't promise to become active...

Hi Joshy,

I didn't know you came from GfaBasic... but it seems you haven't visited the GB32 site for a while: Last Online: Sep 13, 2010

My biggest project ever (>500k source) was written in the 16-bit Windows version of GfaBasic. Won't run without a VM nowadays, of course. I never touched GB32, though, because a) it seemed bloated and b) there was absolutely no chance to convert my 16-bit source to the new 32-bit syntax. Frank Ostrowski did a brilliant job, but afaik he had nothing to do with GB32. Remember the 261 character limit of Recall? ;-)
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

I don't have any GFA BASIC file but here are a site: http://gfabasic32.blogspot.com/p/download.html

Joshy
aurelVZAB

Post by aurelVZAB »

hmm
look this

NOTE - Due to problems with third-party virus scanners version 2.6a omits the runtime GfaWin23.ocx version 2.39
, but comes with the previous version (2.38) of GfaWin23.ocx!
aurelVZAB

Post by aurelVZAB »

my point is not in virus but in scanners
i must say that similar things i get when i tested some other Basic
compilers..interpreters on VirusTotal

It looks that VirusTotal scanners are BASIC NOT FRIENDLY
with lot of false positives (including FB compiled programs too)
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

Aurel,

I get loads of false positives all the time. Heuristic scanners expect C/C++ or Java-style executables, that's all.
aurelVZAB

Post by aurelVZAB »

jj

It is not problem if you or me have falso on our computers then
when you or me or we ..want to publish our programs
it looks like a discrimination
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

Aurel,

It is discrimination, certainly. Only big companies have the power to file a lawsuit against the AV providers. For hobby coders like us, the only option is creating confidence, and explaining what happens. I can post whatever I like on the Masm forum, simply because they have known me for ten years and trust me. Plus, we have a dedicated subforum - an interesting read maybe even for FreeBasic programmers.
Munair

Post by Munair »

jj2007 wrote:Aurel,

I get loads of false positives all the time. Heuristic scanners expect C/C++ or Java-style executables, that's all.
Perhaps another reason why these languages (should) dominate the industry? This is 100% a Windows thingy and my solution is to not have AV running all the time. Some AV scanners allow for manual mode only and I can use that to manually scan a file I downloaded that I have reason not to trust (which is rarely the case).
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

Munair wrote:my solution is to not have AV running all the time. Some AV scanners allow for manual mode only and I can use that to manually scan a file I downloaded that I have reason not to trust (which is rarely the case).
My solution, too, but so many people jump into your face when you confess doing that ;-)

No AV here for the last 10 years, no malware either. My family are not allowed to touch this machine, for a reason.