Windows 10 defender don't like this short program

General FreeBASIC programming questions.
aurelVZAB

Re: Windows 10 defender don't like this short program

Post by aurelVZAB »

and JJ you have my full support in everything you sayed
aurelVZAB

Post by aurelVZAB »

wait a moment

mister paul_doe
you are from Argentina ...right ?
were i can found Tuquito linux ?
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

aurelVZAB wrote:all of you linux users are junkers ...you use Windows before i can bet in that
Aurel,
Please stop it. There is no point in insulting anybody here. We are all good people here, this forum is not the place to launch a war on Linux, Windows or MacOS or whatever. Keep cool, ok?
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

aurelVZAB wrote:...
you are from Argentina ...right ?
were i can found Tuquito linux ?
Not a clue. I wouldn't touch Linux with a bargepole unless forced, or if it threatens my family somehow...

Google doesn't show any results?
caseih

Post by caseih »

aurelVZAB wrote:please ..stop to patronize ..i am not from yesterday
To what are you referring exactly? I had a rather reasonable question for you, along with seconding the advice you received about white-listing. I'm a bit confused. I apologize for thinking out loud and speculating on reasons why AV would flag FB executables. If you were to try using the gcc backend and see if the result differs, that would be interesting. That is all.

Or are you upset that I called your comment about an OS not understanding its own EXEs bizarre (which it is, not to mention a flat out falsehood)? Note I did not attack you personally over that one. In fact I cannot think of anything that was meant as a personal attack or patronizing? Also I don't think I have ever encouraged you to use Linux as a solution to this AV problem.
badidea

Post by badidea »

caseih wrote:Also I don't think I have ever encouraged you to use Linux as a solution to this AV problem.
No, that troll was me.
aurelVZAB

Post by aurelVZAB »

and that is not just you mister @badiea...i see similar comment on many forums
then i become pis***off about all things ...
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

paul doe wrote:I wouldn't touch Linux with a bargepole unless forced, or if it threatens my family somehow...
That is not something that a moderator should be writing, is it, Paul?

You should have stopped at: “Not a clue”.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

I found this:
https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distr ... ux%20users.
I always used to have a Linux distro on another machine, or when I used win XP, dual booted.
But these days I only have Win 10( not dual bootable)
I don't know how a freebasic user doesn't like Linux.
They share common things like no frills, get a job done simply, get quite low level into things, . . .
Linux and freebasic are like a symbolization of each other, but if you don't like it then say-la-VEE.
I couldn't imagine anyone coming to the door and threatening things, it would be the last door they ever knocked on.
"In hell they'll roast thee like a herrin'!", by Robert Burns springs to mind.
I use AVG these days, it is free.
I can define a folder from which to run .exe files, but it still reports virus e.t.c. if found, but not many false positives.
I wouldn't be without an AV because my wife also uses this computer, and the consequences of banning her would be horrendous.
Munair

Post by Munair »

paul doe wrote: Jan 22, 2022 21:53I wouldn't touch Linux with a bargepole unless forced, or if it threatens my family somehow...
Once bitten by the wrong one perhaps? ;-)

For what it's worth, I use Manjaro on a daily basis for several years now, very much like I use Windows. Maybe more challenging is to find the distro that is right for you. I chose Manjaro primarily because of its stable rolling release, which has never let me down. And although I hardly use AV on Windows, Manjaro gives me the better/safer experience overall, especially in the field of programming.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that anyone who likes free programming tools such as FB (for me also NASM) can actually dislike Linux. But I suppose, in dodicat's words, such is life.

For me, to wrap this OS-AV thing up, using a good Linux distro would indeed solve any AV problems one might have producing executables with FB.
adeyblue

Post by adeyblue »

Everytime this happens I wonder if construction workers have endless arguments about the brands of hammer they use, or doctors about where their sphygmomanometers were manufactured.
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

deltarho[1859] wrote: Jan 23, 2022 18:50
paul doe wrote:I wouldn't touch Linux with a bargepole unless forced, or if it threatens my family somehow...
That is not something that a moderator should be writing, is it, Paul?
Why? Can't mods have their own preferences/opinions?
Munair wrote: Jan 23, 2022 23:04 Once bitten by the wrong one perhaps? ;-)
Condescending much? I never said Linux is bad: I just personally don't have an use for it. Doesn't mean I never had to use or work with/for it.
adeyblue wrote: Jan 24, 2022 0:27 Everytime this happens I wonder if construction workers have endless arguments about the brands of hammer they use, or doctors about where their sphygmomanometers were manufactured.
The Linux folks seem to be very sensitive when other folk so much as suggest they don't like working with it, indeed.
badidea

Post by badidea »

adeyblue wrote: Jan 24, 2022 0:27 Everytime this happens I wonder if construction workers have endless arguments about the brands of hammer they use, or doctors about where their sphygmomanometers were manufactured.
I don't know about sphygmomanometers, but construction workers do not have to argue because they all know that the tools from Hilti are the best.

It is always worth trying to save one from their Windows addiction. 'We' linux user failed in the case of aurelVZAB, so now we have to locate paul doe's family I guess.
Munair

Post by Munair »

paul doe wrote: Jan 24, 2022 1:54 Condescending much? I never said Linux is bad: I just personally don't have an use for it.
No one claims you said Linux is bad. And "not having any use for it" sounds a lot less dramatic than:

"I wouldn't touch Linux with a bargepole unless forced, or if it threatens my family somehow..."

And then they say Linux users are the sensitive ones. BTW, I agree with deltarho on this one.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

paul doe wrote:Can't mods have their own preferences/opinions?
Of course, they can. Remembering that FreeBASIC supports users of DOS, Linux, and Windows, I find it inappropriate for a moderator to use language such as “wouldn't touch Linux with a bargepole”.

Being a front bencher now, as opposed to being a back bencher, you may need to tone some opinions down.

Personally, I would find that difficult, if not impossible. Image