VisualFBEditor - IDE for FreeBasic

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
Xusinboy Bekchanov

Re: VisualFBEditor - IDE for FreeBasic

Post by Xusinboy Bekchanov »

marcov wrote: Aug 12, 2022 7:14 Using an editor with GPL to edit your source won't do that. GPL is a linking license, if you don't link to it, it doesn't apply.
May I ask you a question? What is the status of LCL licensing? How is LCL used in commercial products?
Xusinboy Bekchanov

flaviofornazier wrote: Aug 11, 2022 22:30 Hi Mr.Bekchanov,

Could you help me just one more time?

What kind of datatype is expected as second parameter in SQLiteComponent "AddItem" and "Insert" methods?
I've tried everything, e.g., Brazilian national anthem... just kidding... lol!

Thank you again!

PS: I know that I can solve anything with "Exec" but I have to check all methods.
Can be used like this:

Code: Select all

SQLite3Component1.Open("Test.db")
SQLite3Component1.AddItem "MyTable", "Field1 = 1, Field2 = '2'"
SQLite3Component1.Close
AddItem and Insert are the same.
marcov

Post by marcov »

Xusinboy Bekchanov wrote: Aug 12, 2022 9:22
marcov wrote: Aug 12, 2022 7:14 Using an editor with GPL to edit your source won't do that. GPL is a linking license, if you don't link to it, it doesn't apply.
May I ask you a question? What is the status of LCL licensing? How is LCL used in commercial products?
Sure. Nearly all reusable FPC libraries, LCL inclusive are LGPL+static linking exception. Only the Lazarus IDE itself is GPL, with a small exception for the plugin interface, iow plugins that (only) work via the defined plugin interface are exempted from the GPL.
Xusinboy Bekchanov

marcov wrote: Aug 12, 2022 10:44 Sure. Nearly all reusable FPC libraries, LCL inclusive are LGPL+static linking exception. Only the Lazarus IDE itself is GPL, with a small exception for the plugin interface, iow plugins that (only) work via the defined plugin interface are exempted from the GPL.
Someone put it here like this:
VCL and related Open source / LCL Lazarus, Visual FB Editor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:GUI_builders

Is it correct?
marcov

Post by marcov »

Xusinboy Bekchanov wrote: Aug 12, 2022 10:53
marcov wrote: Aug 12, 2022 10:44 Sure. Nearly all reusable FPC libraries, LCL inclusive are LGPL+static linking exception. Only the Lazarus IDE itself is GPL, with a small exception for the plugin interface, iow plugins that (only) work via the defined plugin interface are exempted from the GPL.
Someone put it here like this:
VCL and related Open source / LCL Lazarus, Visual FB Editor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:GUI_builders

Is it correct?
I don't know. LCL+lazarus is close enough to be lumped in with Delphi, but I don't know VFBE detailed enough.
oyster

Post by oyster »

I know that. But here, I mean https://github.com/XusinboyBekchanov/MyFbFramework, which is used by VisualFBEditor, but can also be used as a GUI lib too.

I checked https://github.com/XusinboyBekchanov/My ... er/LICENSE, does it mean that MyFbFramework uses LGPL license? However I don't know how to do dynamic link of MyFbFramework in my application, in that case, MyFbFramework is linked in a static way, which means I have to release my code public too.
Xusinboy Bekchanov

oyster wrote: Aug 12, 2022 15:08
I know that. But here, I mean https://github.com/XusinboyBekchanov/MyFbFramework, which is used by VisualFBEditor, but can also be used as a GUI lib too.

I checked https://github.com/XusinboyBekchanov/My ... er/LICENSE, does it mean that MyFbFramework uses LGPL license? However I don't know how to do dynamic link of MyFbFramework in my application, in that case, MyFbFramework is linked in a static way, which means I have to release my code public too.
Static linking is also allowed. It's all written in the text of LGPL 2.1. (https://github.com/XusinboyBekchanov/My ... er/LICENSE)
Coolman

Post by Coolman »

with the GPL, all distributed programs must be provided with their source code.

with the LGPL license, if you don't modify the library you use, you can integrate it in your executable program without having to provide your source code. of course if you modify the library, you have to provide the source code of it...

I think the future is BSD or MIT license which can be used without any restriction.

i have posted many source codes and tutorials on the internet from about 5-10 years ago and i never put any copyright because it is obsolete now. the future is free software.
flaviofornazier

Post by flaviofornazier »

Xusinboy Bekchanov wrote: Aug 12, 2022 10:04
flaviofornazier wrote: Aug 11, 2022 22:30 Hi Mr.Bekchanov,

Could you help me just one more time?

What kind of datatype is expected as second parameter in SQLiteComponent "AddItem" and "Insert" methods?
I've tried everything, e.g., Brazilian national anthem... just kidding... lol!

Thank you again!

PS: I know that I can solve anything with "Exec" but I have to check all methods.
Can be used like this:

Code: Select all

SQLite3Component1.Open("Test.db")
SQLite3Component1.AddItem "MyTable", "Field1 = 1, Field2 = '2'"
SQLite3Component1.Close
AddItem and Insert are the same.
Hi Mr.Bekchanov,

Thank you for open my eyes, I was sleeping...

Still about SQLite Component, writting a sample, I didn't even notice that methods were missing as you can see here:

https://blog.csdn.net/yfvb2010/article/ ... .3001.5502

...and for once I have two question:

1) Application finished. Returned code: 109 - That's the default?
2) How I get the results of EXEC method?

Thank you very much.
Xusinboy Bekchanov

flaviofornazier wrote: Aug 13, 2022 2:13 Still about SQLite Component, writting a sample, I didn't even notice that methods were missing as you can see here:
What methods?
flaviofornazier wrote: Aug 13, 2022 2:13 1) Application finished. Returned code: 109 - That's the default?
No. There are no texts after?
flaviofornazier wrote: Aug 13, 2022 2:13 2) How I get the results of EXEC method?
Use SQLFind to get results of "Select" command.
marcov

Post by marcov »

Xusinboy Bekchanov wrote: Aug 12, 2022 16:06 Static linking is also allowed. It's all written in the text of LGPL 2.1. (https://github.com/XusinboyBekchanov/My ... er/LICENSE)

Static linking is allowed under LGPL, but only if the user can relink the binary with a newer/modified version of the LGPL library, which makes it pretty useless, since you have to provide all unlinked .o's with symbol info, that would reveal much of proprietary parts (and worse, violate their license). This is explicitly stated in the license quoted above:
from the LGPL license wrote: If you link other code with the library, you must provide
complete object files to the recipients, so that they can relink them
with the library after making changes to the library and recompiling
it. And you must show them these terms so they know their rights.
IMHO stating that LGPL allows static linking is misleading, as it is typically not what people are asking for when they ask if staticl inking is possible.

To make intention absolutely sure, the (L)GPL+static linking exception license was created (iirc for GCC's libgcc). That makes it at least absolutely clear that shared linking is allowed
Xusinboy Bekchanov

marcov wrote: Aug 13, 2022 8:47 To make intention absolutely sure, the (L)GPL+static linking exception license was created (iirc for GCC's libgcc). That makes it at least absolutely clear that shared linking is allowed
Where can I get the text of this license?
marcov

Post by marcov »

Xusinboy Bekchanov wrote: Aug 13, 2022 8:57
marcov wrote: Aug 13, 2022 8:47 To make intention absolutely sure, the (L)GPL+static linking exception license was created (iirc for GCC's libgcc). That makes it at least absolutely clear that shared linking is allowed
Where can I get the text of this license?
It is more an exception to the LGPL than a standalone license. We simply have a file COPYING.FPC next to the LGPL COPYING file that says
This is the file COPYING.FPC, it applies to the Free Pascal Run-Time Library
(RTL) and packages (packages) distributed by members of the Free Pascal
Development Team.

The source code of the Free Pascal Runtime Libraries and packages are
distributed under the Library GNU General Public License
(see the file COPYING) with the following modification:

As a special exception, the copyright holders of this library give you
permission to link this library with independent modules to produce an
executable, regardless of the license terms of these independent modules,
and to copy and distribute the resulting executable under terms of your choice,
provided that you also meet, for each linked independent module, the terms
and conditions of the license of that module. An independent module is a module
which is not derived from or based on this library. If you modify this
library, you may extend this exception to your version of the library, but you are
not obligated to do so. If you do not wish to do so, delete this exception
statement from your version.

If you didn't receive a copy of the file COPYING, contact:
Free Software Foundation
675 Mass Ave
Cambridge, MA 02139
USA
flaviofornazier

Post by flaviofornazier »

Xusinboy Bekchanov wrote: Aug 13, 2022 7:53
flaviofornazier wrote: Aug 13, 2022 2:13 Still about SQLite Component, writting a sample, I didn't even notice that methods were missing as you can see here:
What methods?
flaviofornazier wrote: Aug 13, 2022 2:13 1) Application finished. Returned code: 109 - That's the default?
No. There are no texts after?
flaviofornazier wrote: Aug 13, 2022 2:13 2) How I get the results of EXEC method?
Use SQLFind to get results of "Select" command.
Hi Mr.Bekchanov,

Methods RsFind, SQLString and ErrorOut... My apologies, I guess you're right, it seems EXEC method is just for SQL commands that not require a result set. Later I will explain you why I'm struggling with... it's not for me...

No text after. Any code runs with no issues but 109 should be my lucky number. It's happening on all my x86/64 Windows versions, except if I check "Console" instead of GUI before run any project from IDE. Strange... The installation procedure is the same, Windows, Powershell, Curl are up to date...

Thank you in advanced.
Xusinboy Bekchanov

flaviofornazier wrote: Aug 13, 2022 22:12 Hi Mr.Bekchanov,

Methods RsFind, SQLString and ErrorOut... My apologies, I guess you're right, it seems EXEC method is just for SQL commands that not require a result set. Later I will explain you why I'm struggling with... it's not for me...
Added: OnSQLString function event and OnErrorOut sub event to SQLite3Component.
Added: Ability to process function events in the IDE.

The original name was FindRs, in the latest version it has been removed, I think, as a recurring SQLString event.
flaviofornazier wrote: Aug 13, 2022 22:12 No text after. Any code runs with no issues but 109 should be my lucky number. It's happening on all my x86/64 Windows versions, except if I check "Console" instead of GUI before run any project from IDE. Strange... The installation procedure is the same, Windows, Powershell, Curl are up to date...

Thank you in advanced.
Fixed: Return of error ERROR_BROKEN_PIPE (109) when closing started without a console program.

It simply means that after the program terminates (pipe closed) the process can no longer read. I removed this return code.

https://github.com/XusinboyBekchanov/Vi ... 093a402ec6