Database

DOS specific questions.
Gablea

Re: Database

Post by Gablea »

exagonx wrote: Jul 24, 2022 2:46 Some time ago I created a library that once included allowed me to create and manage data maybe you can do the same too so that once you have created your database system you can implement it on all your software using simple objects defined previously.

I'll love to see your library I have data being exported from the back office and it uses a | as a field separator

I am also thinking about making the databases live on a ram drive to increase access time would that speed up reading on a 13,400 file record?
exagonx

Post by exagonx »

Gablea wrote: Jul 24, 2022 19:57
I'll love to see your library I have data being exported from the back office and it uses a | as a field separator

I am also thinking about making the databases live on a ram drive to increase access time would that speed up reading on a 13,400 file record?
Hello Gablea.
Currently I am writing a new one where I try to create an environment close to mysql, but with the work the time left to develop something good is little so please be patient and as soon as I am at a good point I will publish the sources so that having a ready-made job will be able to facilitate even those who are novice to use databases.

Maybe someone better prepared than me could also suggest some improvements.
Gablea

Post by Gablea »

exagonx wrote: Jul 25, 2022 0:41
Gablea wrote: Jul 24, 2022 19:57

Hello Gablea.
Currently I am writing a new one where I try to create an environment close to mysql, but with the work the time left to develop something good is little so please be patient and as soon as I am at a good point I will publish the sources so that having a ready-made job will be able to facilitate even those who are novice to use databases.

Maybe someone better prepared than me could also suggest some improvements.
I'll be happy to test it for you as I'm using FB in a commercial environment
GeoffB17

Post by GeoffB17 »

Hello,

I'm a recent join, not seen this thread before.

I've been using the Sequiter CodeBase system for a long time to handle all programming tasks regarding dBase systems. Originally Clipper type things, then mainly using the FoxPro options and compound indexes (.CDX).

There WAS a variant of CodeBase (which is for C) called CodeBasic which I think was aimed at VB type systems, but there seems to be no trace of that now. Sequiter has however folded, but the source for the last version of CB has been passed to GitHub and there is a repository there for information, and access to the complete source for version 6.4 (I think that was the last full release).

I am still using version 5, which was still normal C (as opposed to C++) and still plain DOS (as opposed to use within Windoze.

But as I note, the package includes complete source, and you can create your own LIB files as required. The creation of the LIB can be different depending on your chosen index version, i.e. .ndx, .ntx, .cdx etc. It is also possible to create .DLL libs. Later versions of the source may have other options.

I understand that many of the libs and associated files within FreeBasic have been created from C (or C++) resources/code, so I would expect that it should be possible to create additional facilities within FB to enable CB. You'd need some sort of .H file to provide linking templates to allow FB to call CB functions, but I'm sure that I read that there was some sort of auto process to help with that.

I have the manuals for my version of CB, but 6.4 will be different in detail although many of the functions will be similar. I think the stuff on GitHub will include some docs as well as source.

I also have some fairly substantial additions to CB which I have done, based on sample code within my package, to implement DOS screen operations (windows, GET, etc) and also a much extended 'browse' system again based on some Sequiter sample code.

You may well be able to do things with these resources?

Geoff