Library, Project, Example Code Archive

Headers, Bindings, Libraries for use with FreeBASIC, Please include example of use to help ensure they are tested and usable.
Imortis

Library, Project, Example Code Archive

Post by Imortis »

Many years ago, there was a "Project Archive" for FreeBASIC located at freebasic.net/arch. I don't remember exactly when it went away but I was thinking about it a few nights ago and I had an idea to make something similar now. I can set up something simple enough to store items and make them searchable.

Is there any interest in this, or would I be wasting my time?
adeyblue

Re: Library, Project, Example Code Archive

Post by adeyblue »

I also thought of something like a FreeBasic CPAN.
I also thought there would be little interest.

I think if you wanted to do this and for it to be added to by most people here, you'd need something pretty much frictionless. I mean, no extra accounts or places to log in, no forms to fill out for title or categories, just literally a button or something integrated into the forum that only the OP can click that says 'Send this post to ImortisLand', which activates a bot to format it for the site. Or something that's one-click like that.

Does phpBB have OAuth capabilities to give external apps/sites access to forum accounts?
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

I was thinking that at the beginning I would just collect libraries and things myself and add then. If anyone would want to be able to add items themself, I would grant an account with limited access. Can't get more frictionless than "someone else's problem".

Having a catalog of complete, updated libraries, that is fully sorted, tagged, searchable, and rateable will be a huge boon for pros and new programmers alike.
dbickin

Post by dbickin »

As a semi-pro, intermediate kind of programmer, I would find an archive very useful. It is really frustrating chasing down a library in the forum, only to find the link is now dead.

David
grindstone

Post by grindstone »

Such a well sorted archive, something similar to Code-Beispiele or Projektvorstellungen of the german forum I'm missing badly here. The codes are put there by the programmers themselfes, so it shouldn't mean too much work for the mods.
badidea

Post by badidea »

Something like https://freebasic.net/wiki/CodeLibrary and https://freebasic.net/wiki/ExtLibTOC but up-to-date, with pictures, with complete projects, without dead links and available for a long time? That would be nice indeed.
integer

Post by integer »

Imortis wrote: Sep 03, 2023 9:45 I was thinking that at the beginning I would just collect libraries and things myself and add then. If anyone would want to be able to add items themself, I would grant an account with limited access. Can't get more frictionless than "someone else's problem".

Having a catalog of complete, updated libraries, that is fully sorted, tagged, searchable, and rateable will be a huge boon for pros and new programmers alike.
A few yeas back someone assembled The Big Review which I found to be very beneficial.
Having your libraries and things as being searchable (with many tags) would definitely be appreciated.
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

Just to let people know: I have been working on this off and on. I have something that I think would be a good start, but I don't have a place to host it just yet. I recently bought a home and so both my time and money are a bit on the scarce side right now. Once I am in a more stable position, I am going to see about either getting some good hosting or setting it up to host myself.