New to FreeBASIC?

New to FreeBASIC? Post your questions here.
maddogg6

New to FreeBASIC?

Post by maddogg6 »

So you are new to FB and have questions, well, you are in luck - there are plenty of answers here:
The FB Wiki:
* FreeBASIC Manual - Table of Contents
* Community Tutorials
* Community Code Library
* Programmer's Guide

F.A.Q's
* Compiler FAQ
* DOS Related
* Windows Related
* Linux Related

notthecheatr has the fbn00b tutorials here : http://fbn00b.notthecheatr.phatcode.net/

Lachie Dazdarian has some tutorials here: http://lachie.phatcode.net/articles.php

For help with FreeBASIC editors - some refer to these as an 'IDE' - see the FAQ for your particular operating system as well as the 'Community Tutorial' sections.

PLEASE DO NOT POST QUESTIONS HERE.

The intent of this thread is to show where a beginner can go to have common questions answered.
Last edited by maddogg6 on Mar 07, 2008 0:30, edited 5 times in total.
Hezad

Post by Hezad »

Neat Idea.

I'd add the FBGD forums, as there are a lot of interesting examples. Don't know if it sticks with the "beginners" goal of this thread though ..
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

I would just like to point out that all the code posted at FBGD forum is the property of FBGD Inc. and you’re a prohibited to post it on any other location without written permission from FBGD Inc. management.

j/k

Actually, it would be cool if someone would be interested to compile a game dev oriented wiki section. You know, covering stuff from scrolling to collision. Using the code from FBGD forum as a starting point.

Me thinks.
maddogg6

Post by maddogg6 »

A sticky thread at the beginning of each forum (like link to FBGD/forum in the game dev forum) section is a terrific idea - but yeah - I'm thinking its a bit much for beginners... ???

But - then again - hopefully by that time - they will already know where to look...?? It just seems like beginners tend to find the forums first... I know I did- *then* I was informed of the wiki... so, I am basically just going by my personal experience and figuring its not an uncommon one.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

Actually, it would be cool if someone would be interested to compile a game dev oriented wiki section. You know, covering stuff from scrolling to collision. Using the code from FBGD forum as a starting point.
I was thinking of a *HUGE* fricken wiki full of algorithm implementations and game play examples.
KristopherWindsor

Post by KristopherWindsor »

We need a tutorial... for installing the IDE... :-P
notthecheatr

Post by notthecheatr »

anonymous1337 wrote:
I was thinking of a *HUGE* fricken wiki full of algorithm implementations and game play examples.
This is what I would like.
I wrote a tutorial for installing and using all three of the major IDEs for Windows. I posted it somewhere on here, don't know where it is now though...
maddogg6

Post by maddogg6 »

notthecheatr wrote:
I wrote a tutorial for installing and using all three of the major IDEs for Windows. I posted it somewhere on here, don't know where it is now though...
http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopi ... nstall+ide
That one?

I think a link to that thread in the windows faq would be a good place.. ?? no?
notthecheatr

Post by notthecheatr »

Yes, that's it. It might be good in Windows, but it could also go here in Beginners since I imagine most beginners will probably use Windows.
cha0s
Site Admin

Post by cha0s »

I made it an announcement. Thanks for posting this.
notthecheatr

Post by notthecheatr »

maddogg6

Post by maddogg6 »

I chose not to add QBE link - because things like PHP tutorials could lead to confusion for a beginner. But I would have otherwise. Sorry Pete, no offense.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

maddogg6

Post by maddogg6 »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:http://lachie.phatcode.net/articles.php

Am I eligible?
well - Im not sure if *you* are eligible - but the your tuts are linked ;)

Thanks everyone for the links / support etc... I really do think it can be a huge help for beginners.
tenderfoot

thanks you

Post by tenderfoot »

I can't succeed to get the FBIDE Manual all together in a printable file.

Anyway...thanks a lot
Tenderfoot