FB debugger : 3.02 32/64 BIT WDS/LNX..... (2023/07/05)

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
SARG

Re: FB debugger : 2.98.1 32/64 BIT ..... (2021/01/30)

Post by SARG »

Obviously I hope there is no virus in my exes. I'm using Avast.
So try to compile your own version.
Put buttons folder with fbdebugger.bas and don't forget rc file when compiling.

Something like that

Code: Select all

fbc -s gui fbdebugger.bas fbdebugger.rc

About procs not removed.
(Reminder) unfortunately, debugging on 64bit is not 100% correct due to translation/compiling in C so that could explain some problems you got.

A solution would be to use beta fbdebugger V3 (no false virus detection I hope) : https://users.freebasic-portal.de/sarg/ ... er_new.zip
In order to include the debug data you need to compile with the options '-gen gas64 -g'

Or it could the same issue that happened with Windows API functions seeming not returning. It's fixed but I don't rmember how.
wallyg

Post by wallyg »

I tried the V3 of the debugger.

At startup, I tried to get to the routine that is causing a problem and place a breakpoint at the beginning. The right arrow at the top of the left side gives a warning message about it not working. So I tried to go to the Procs tab on the right side, After finding it, clicking on it did nothing, I then right-clicked and picked the options to show proc, and sometimes instead a random location in the main program (default view when starting up) is displayed then the rest of the lines are highlighted. I cannot get to the routine I want. Other times it seems to work fine. Cannot duplicate it reliably.

When I do try to start the program I enter "r" and I get "not an executable line" I do not say "run to", it should just start from the initial starting location.

Sometimes the sub dialog window asking a question that I have to answer does not display on top of the main window. I only notice it by looking at the bottom line of the window where it displays active windows so I click on it and then it displays and I can proceed.

Wally
wallyg

Post by wallyg »

When you start a new debugging run, you used to ask if I wanted to keep the previous invocation's breakpoints. You no longer do, Please put that back. I do not remember all the locations I previously set breakpoints and I want to start clean.

When debugging a program with hundreds/thousand routines, the tab list across the top of the left side is sort of useless. Could it be maybe only routines I have touched in this debugging run?

Same for the Procs list, Could it be in proc name order (perhaps like procname(type) or procname(file) )? And then could I have a drop-down Combobox of sorted names so that I could type in the name and the list gets reduced (maybe only after 3 characters are typed) for every character I enter and when the list is small enough, I can select which one I want to be displayed in the left pane?

Thanks
Wally
SARG

Post by SARG »

@wally
Sorry for the delay I was working on building the manual (chm) and thanks for using the new debugger.
wallyg wrote: Jul 31, 2022 21:24 At startup, I tried to get to the routine that is causing a problem and place a breakpoint at the beginning. The right arrow at the top of the left side gives a warning message about it not working. So I tried to go to the Procs tab on the right side, After finding it, clicking on it did nothing, I then right-clicked and picked the options to show proc, and sometimes instead a random location in the main program (default view when starting up) is displayed then the rest of the lines are highlighted. I cannot get to the routine I want. Other times it seems to work fine. Cannot duplicate it reliably.
You can't put a breakpoint on sub/function lines but only on the (first) executable lines
There is a problem with locate proc in source. For now I don't know what is happening.

wallyg wrote: Jul 31, 2022 21:24 When I do try to start the program I enter "r" and I get "not an executable line" I do not say "run to", it should just start from the initial starting location.
'r' is for running to the line where the cursor is. Instead use 'x'.

wallyg wrote: Jul 31, 2022 21:24 Sometimes the sub dialog window asking a question that I have to answer does not display on top of the main window. I only notice it by looking at the bottom line of the window where it displays active windows so I click on it and then it displays and I can proceed.
Know issue, the GUI library doesn't work in a same way on Windows/Linux and I keep the same behaviour for both OS. However I could force a modal window on Windows.

wallyg wrote: Aug 01, 2022 21:05 When you start a new debugging run, you used to ask if I wanted to keep the previous invocation's breakpoints. You no longer do, Please put that back. I do not remember all the locations I previously set breakpoints and I want to start clean.
The function managing the breakpoints when staring/restarting is disabled. I'll see to enable it again.

wallyg wrote: Aug 01, 2022 21:05 When debugging a program with hundreds/thousand routines, the tab list across the top of the left side is sort of useless. Could it be maybe only routines I have touched in this debugging run?
I guess routines are bas files. I understand when there are too many files it's a bit hard. For this reason there is a combobox on the right side listing the files.
I could add an option to display only the file where the next debugged line is and a second one selected by the combobox or via proc list. Your opinion ?

wallyg wrote: Aug 01, 2022 21:05 Same for the Procs list, Could it be in proc name order (perhaps like procname(type) or procname(file) )? And then could I have a drop-down Combobox of sorted names so that I could type in the name and the list gets reduced (maybe only after 3 characters are typed) for every character I enter and when the list is small enough, I can select which one I want to be displayed in the left pane?
For the previous version of fbdebugger Windows's API allowed the sort now I have to do it myself (again Windows/linux). in my todo list.
About the combobox, also in my todo list.
SARG

Post by SARG »

New version : https://users.freebasic-portal.de/sarg/ ... er_new.zip

- Breakpoint management enabled when starting debuggee (if any breakpoints)
Reminder : this dialog box is also opened by B key or by menu.

- Procs in procs tab are sorted by name.
Sort by file name will be added later. Idem for a combobox.

- Almost all outputs in console have been removed.

To be continued.
SARG

Post by SARG »

- Source files sorted by name in combobox

- bug fixed : now 'Locate proc option' (contextual menu in procs tab) works every time.

- bug fixed : now 'Restart button' really restarts the current debuggee and not only stops it.
SARG

Post by SARG »

- New buttons to manage directly breakpoints, no need any more to open a menu. Implies that some buttons have been moved
- Go button removed as clicking on a file name in combobox displays this file
- Combobox for files resized (width/height) for showing more information
- All tabs on left with file names removed replaced by only the current one
- Click on the name to display full path name and in the future information as date, size, etc

- bug fix : combobox for file names and the source displayed are correctly synchronized
- bug fix : enable/disable all BP works correctly

SARG

Post by SARG »

Stiil a new version :D https://users.freebasic-portal.de/sarg/ ... er_new.zip

- All shortcutkeys have been changed to allow fast search in trees and combo box.
So now instead S, R, etc use F2 to F10. Look at the tooltip if needed.
For breakpoints : same letter but with CTRL.
For counter BP : SHIFT+N to reinit / ALT+N to change the value.

- In BP management 2 new buttons to directly reinit or change value for counter BP.

- Bug fix : selecting procs tab without an exe causing an application freeze.

- Other small bugs fixed and improvements.
SARG

Post by SARG »

Again a new version (3.00 beta e) : https://users.freebasic-portal.de/sarg/ ... er_new.zip

- new feature : in settings a new checkbox allows to decide if the parameters (commandline) will be used one time or kept.
So these parameters can be added before the debuggee is selected.
- new feature : click on a variable (or a field) in the source code then click on the new button [>] to show it in proc/var tab.

- text of tooltips slightly changed to be clearer
- version of fbdebugger added in title of main window
- position/size of windows adjusted

- bug fix : restoring the BPs when restarting a running debuggee (previously only if the debuggee was terminated)
- bug fix : run to xxx works when the debugged is currently stopped on a line with a BP
- bug fix : temporary BPs not removed automatically after reached and not saved
- bug fix : line 1 of main was always considered like unexecutable
SARG

Post by SARG »

Version 3.00 beta f : https://users.freebasic-portal.de/sarg/ ... er_new.zip

New features :
- find a text in the current source code (contextual menu / CTRL + F). If a text is already selected it's used for the search.
- in AUTO mode running now stops on possible BPs.
- an already running program can be attached to the debugger, obviously it must be compiled with -g. Interesting in case of infinite loop by example.
- use F1 or tools menu to open doc_fbdebugger.pdf. The file (not up to date) is in the zip file. Put it in same folder as fbdebugger.
- show registers (sub menu asm)

Others :
- various bug fixes and improvements
SARG

Post by SARG »

Version 3.00 beta g : https://users.freebasic-portal.de/sarg/ ... er_new.zip

New features :
- direct attachment by clicking on an element of the process list
- show executable lines

Others :
- doc is up to date and size reduced by removing many images
- various bug fixes and improvements
demosthenesk

Post by demosthenesk »

is there a linux version ?
gdb not latest version has a bug and we can not watch variables
SARG

Post by SARG »

yes there is a Linux version I have to prepare all the necessay files. Maybe it will be more complicated to run it due to some dependencies.
SARG

Post by SARG »

@demosthenesk and any other linux's users :D

The linux version : https://users.freebasic-portal.de/sarg/ ... _linux.zip

As I wrote there could be issues with dependencies. So please note what you do to get fbdebugger running (I don't remember all I did many months ago) and I'll add that in doc.
demosthenesk

Post by demosthenesk »

SARG wrote: Sep 07, 2022 10:28 @demosthenesk and any other linux's users :D

The linux version : https://users.freebasic-portal.de/sarg/ ... _linux.zip

As I wrote there could be issues with dependencies. So please note what you do to get fbdebugger running (I don't remember all I did many months ago) and I'll add that in doc.
it needs
cd fbdebug_linux
sudo cp libscintilla.so /lib/
sudo ldconfig