GUI library for Windows \ Linux (window9)

Headers, Bindings, Libraries for use with FreeBASIC, Please include example of use to help ensure they are tested and usable.
VANYA

Re: GUI library for Windows \ Linux (window9)

Post by VANYA »

RNBW wrote: Aug 23, 2022 10:27 @VANYA
Please note the correction and new file link.
OK!
Coolman

Post by Coolman »

Today I have a lot of free time. I tried again to test the window9 library. previously I had an error message related to webkitgtk which prevented any compilation. i compiled the library under linux disribution based on unbuntu version 20.04, copied the files libwindow9.a window9.bi keys.bi extwstring.bi in the same directory. i used geany to edit compile an example in the same directory. i got again the error message about webkitgtk. i edited the file window9.bi, disabled the lines #inclib "webkit2gtk-3.0" and #inclib "webkitgtk-1.0" and restarted the compiling process which succeeded this time. I have tested many examples of codes that work very well, some do not compile because they depend on windows. of course, it will not be possible to use the functions related to webkitgtk...

as an information for those who would have had the same problem under linux.
VANYA

Post by VANYA »

Coolman wrote: Aug 23, 2022 16:37 Today I have a lot of free time. I tried again to test the window9 library. previously I had an error message related to webkitgtk which prevented any compilation. i compiled the library under linux disribution based on unbuntu version 20.04, copied the files libwindow9.a window9.bi keys.bi extwstring.bi in the same directory. i used geany to edit compile an example in the same directory. i got again the error message about webkitgtk. i edited the file window9.bi, disabled the lines #inclib "webkit2gtk-3.0" and #inclib "webkitgtk-1.0" and restarted the compiling process which succeeded this time. I have tested many examples of codes that work very well, some do not compile because they depend on windows. of course, it will not be possible to use the functions related to webkitgtk...

as an information for those who would have had the same problem under linux.
This is not the right advice for those who want to use the library since you suggested a castrated version (without webkit)!!! For UBUNTU 20.04 it is desirable to use the GTK3 version of the library. Webkit should already be installed on the system. It was only necessary to create a symbolic link with libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.xxxx on libwebkit2gtk-3.0. After that, the library can be used fully. You can also use the GTK2 version with webkitgtk-1.0, but for this you need to be able to install packages that are not included in the official repository.
Coolman

Post by Coolman »

I know. this solution is not for everyone, i give it for information. i would not use the functions of webkitgtk, so this solution suits me. at the beginning i had the idea to modify the makefile to disable this feature completely.
VANYA

Post by VANYA »

Coolman wrote: Aug 23, 2022 18:45 I know. this solution is not for everyone, i give it for information. i would not use the functions of webkitgtk, so this solution suits me. at the beginning i had the idea to modify the makefile to disable this feature completely.
To disable webkit, you can write at the beginning of the window9.bi file:

Code: Select all

#define disable_webgadget
Coolman

Post by Coolman »

VANYA wrote: Aug 24, 2022 3:31
Coolman wrote: Aug 23, 2022 18:45 I know. this solution is not for everyone, i give it for information. i would not use the functions of webkitgtk, so this solution suits me. at the beginning i had the idea to modify the makefile to disable this feature completely.
To disable webkit, you can write at the beginning of the window9.bi file:

Code: Select all

#define disable_webgadget
it's even better. thanks for the information.
SARG

Post by SARG »

@RNWB
Thanks for the fast fix.

Another issue : GETFOCUS and SETFOCUS are missing (EN only) in the index.
RNBW

Post by RNBW »

SARG wrote: Aug 24, 2022 22:47 @RNWB
Thanks for the fast fix.

@SARG
You are correct. I tried recompiling and they are still missing.

I will try to compile with the Windows Help Compiler direct and see if this resolves the problem.
RNBW

Post by RNBW »

RNBW wrote: Aug 25, 2022 17:43
SARG wrote: Aug 24, 2022 22:47 @RNWB
Thanks for the fast fix.

@SARG
You are correct. I tried recompiling and they are still missing.

I will try to compile with the Windows Help Compiler direct and see if this resolves the problem.
Right I've had a look at this.
The software I use to build the .CHM file is HelpNDoc Professional. Basically, this works by converting the topics into separate HTML files. It then calls the Windows Help Compiler to produce the .CHM file. I used a program called KeyTools to decompile the .CHM file into separate HTML files for each topic. It also produces a.HHP file which lists all the HTML files and is used by the Windows Help Compiler to compile a .CHM file. The .HHP file includes the GETFOCUS and SETFOCUS files in its listing. So I recompiled the file using the Windows Help Compiler. The end result did NOT include GETFOCUS and SETFOCUS in the index. Why I don't know, but it seems to be the Windows Help Compiler that is at fault and I don't know what to do about it.
SARG

Post by SARG »

Hi RNBW,
Did you check the log after compilation ?
Maybe there are errors.
Otherwise it's weird.
RNBW

Post by RNBW »

SARG wrote: Aug 26, 2022 11:37 Hi RNBW,
Did you check the log after compilation ?
Maybe there are errors.
Otherwise it's weird.
Nothing in the log
Microsoft HTML Help Compiler 4.74.8702

Compiling c:\Users\raywo\Documents\KeyTools\Window9\Window9Aug22_2\gui library cross-platform (window9).chm

Compile time: 0 minutes, 5 seconds
723 Topics
1,405 Local links
17 Internet links
0 Graphics

Created c:\Users\raywo\Documents\KeyTools\Window9\Window9Aug22_2\gui library cross-platform (window9).chm, 8,330,754 bytes
Compression decreased file by 4,519,613 bytes.
Microsoft HTML Help Compiler 4.74.8702

Compiling c:\Users\raywo\Documents\KeyTools\Window9\Window9Aug22_2\gui library cross-platform (window9).chm

HHC4006: Warning: The file "getfocus.htm" is already listed in the [FILES] section of the project file.

Compile time: 0 minutes, 5 seconds
723 Topics
1,405 Local links
17 Internet links
0 Graphics

Created c:\Users\raywo\Documents\KeyTools\Window9\Window9Aug22_2\gui library cross-platform (window9).chm, 8,330,754 bytes
Compression decreased file by 4,519,613 bytes.
The reason for the comment on GETFOCUS is because I slipped GETFOCUS.HTM in the Index list again to see if that made any difference. Other than the Log warning - nothing.

It's very weird! I'm not sure, but I think Vanya uses the Windows Help Compiler and that picks up the Topics in the Index. I can give you a link to the HTML file and .HHP file if you like to play around with, but it's got me baffled. I will take up the matter with HelpNDoc, but I suspect they won't be able to help. It's worth a try though.
SARG

Post by SARG »

RNBW wrote: Aug 26, 2022 12:17 I can give you a link to the HTML file and .HHP file
Yes please do it.
Another idea : if possible trying to compile with only one or both 'faulty' files.

BTW I'm using HTML help Workshop, old but does the job.
RNBW

Post by RNBW »

SARG wrote: Aug 26, 2022 13:45
RNBW wrote: Aug 26, 2022 12:17 I can give you a link to the HTML file and .HHP file
Yes please do it.
Another idea : if possible trying to compile with only one or both 'faulty' files.

BTW I'm using HTML help Workshop, old but does the job.
Tried removing GETFOCUS from .HHP and recompiled, but no difference.

I'll set to and give you a link for the HTML files. Shouldn't take long.
SARG

Post by SARG »

Sorry not clearly explained : try to compile only GETFOCUS or SETFOCUS or only both without all the other HTML pages. :D
I don't know if it's possible.
RNBW

Post by RNBW »

SARG wrote: Aug 26, 2022 14:31 Sorry not clearly explained : try to compile only GETFOCUS or SETFOCUS or only both without all the other HTML pages. :D
I don't know if it's possible.
I tried deleting all the topics listed in the .HHP file except for GETFOCUS and SETFOCUS, but it doesn't look as if there is any difference. May be my lack of understanding of the Windows Help Compiler process.

Anyway, here is the link to the zip file in Dropbox with all the fileshttps://www.dropbox.com/s/u55adq9sg470n ... 2.zip?dl=0