Where can I get a Recent-Git-Build of FreeBASIC?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
St_W

Re: Where can I get a Recent-Git-Build of FreeBASIC?

Post by St_W »

I just tried whether it gets better after logging in, but unfortunately can't confirm your observations; for me it's still as slow as when not being logged in. Also I'm not sure how to integrate that login in the check, as the URL Trigger Jenkins plugin (https://plugins.jenkins.io/urltrigger/) just supports Basic Auth, but no complex login flows.
adeyblue

Post by adeyblue »

I don't want to say the wiki isn't the greatest piece of software, but the css file that's specified in the header of the recent changes xml file does this:
That url in full is 16,418 characters long!
fxm

Post by fxm »

fxm wrote:
fxm wrote:For some time now, I have noticed that access times to Wiki are sometimes becoming very long.
Then it seems to me that if we are logged in, the access times become correct again.
Is it just a combination of circumstances ?
I confirm my remark in red.
Similar remark when accessing: https://www.freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.ph ... hanges.xml
'Livemarks' extension (restores dynamic RSS bookmarks) only works when I am logged in.
fxm

Post by fxm »

This night the manual update worked.
Did you do something ?
St_W

Post by St_W »

no, didn't change anything
fxm

Post by fxm »

You were very lucky, because currently the access times are very long (without being logged in).
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

adeyblue wrote:That url in full is 16,418 characters long!
The URL rewrite in '.htaccess' was not getting along with the redirects in the wiki app resulting in a never ending request. I've prevented it from happening in this case by changing the URL rewrite rules in .htaccess. That's the best I can do for now.
fxm wrote:You were very lucky, because currently the access times are very long (without being logged in).
I noticed this too. Up to 40s not logged in. When I'm logged in typically under 1s. I couldn't reproduce the problem on my local server, though. I'm guessing a poorly constructed query or search when no user is logged in.
St_W wrote:no, didn't change anything
Maybe I asked before and forgot: what is your method for polling changes on the wiki and fetching updates?
St_W

Post by St_W »

coderJeff wrote:what is your method for polling changes on the wiki and fetching updates?
This is the configuration I'm currently using for the UrlTrigger Jenkins Plugin:
This fetches "https://freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.php?wa ... hanges.xml" and extracts the change date via XPath expression //pubDate[1]. When the content (result of evaluating XPath expression) changes a new build is triggered. If there's an easier way to check for wiki changes programmatically (or even something like push notifications) I'll happily implement/use that.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

St_W wrote: If there's an easier way to check for wiki changes programmatically (or even something like push notifications) I'll happily implement/use that.
Do you then fetch only the changed pages? Or you fetch everything?

I have worked on something, but I don't quite have a full solution yet.
When working with the wiki there are 2 things that are very slow for me:
- fetching a full page index (currently page names are extracted from the HTML)
- A manual step to fetch only the changed pages. And if I lose track, I have to fetch the whole wiki. Like when doing wiki snapshots to commit to the fbc repository.

So, my idea is to keep a local copy of the index for wakka pages I already have. Then fetch a new copy of the index and scan for pages that have been revised by checking the revision numbers.

I just added fbwikka: custom handler for 'rawlist' #1
See the results: RecentChanges/rawlist&format=index

Could this be helpful to you?
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

fxm wrote:
fxm wrote:
fxm wrote:For some time now, I have noticed that access times to Wiki are sometimes becoming very long.
Then it seems to me that if we are logged in, the access times become correct again.
Is it just a combination of circumstances ?
I confirm my remark in red.
If no user is logged in, the wiki app does a host look up on the IP address. I've disabled this feature in the wiki app and page load times should be much quicker.
fxm

Post by fxm »

Sure enough, it's perfect now :-)
St_W

Post by St_W »

coderJeff wrote:[...] So, my idea is to keep a local copy of the index for wakka pages I already have. Then fetch a new copy of the index and scan for pages that have been revised by checking the revision numbers.
Thanks, didn't know about this API endpoint. That sounds very useful, especially for the fbdoc tool, making the fetching a lot easier (no HTML parsing) and faster (only fetch changed pages). Saw you are already working on some changes there. Let me know if I can help anywhere.

Regarding the change polling the new endpoint could be used as well, but currently also the RSS feed seems to be as fast, so I don't really see a reason for change for now (and the RSS page is smaller to fetch compared to the whole revision index table).
coderJeff wrote:If no user is logged in, the wiki app does a host look up on the IP address. I've disabled this feature in the wiki app and page load times should be much quicker.
Thanks, that seems to improve things a lot (and not sure why it should do a host lookup - just for info in the footer? IMHO that could be removed altogether)
SARG

Post by SARG »

@St_W
Only updates for Windows, nothing for Linux and others since December 6.
Ditto for changelogs.
Is there a problem ?
St_W

Post by St_W »

Thanks for the hint, pending Windows Updates were causing the issue - a restart fixed it.
SARG

Post by SARG »

@St_W
No update since 2 january.