WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V3.1.0 June 4, 2023)

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
Vortex

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V3.0.0 May 24, 2022)

Post by Vortex »

hhr wrote: May 25, 2022 7:36 @ Kuan Hsu,
thank you. I installed both, vc_redist.x86.exe and vc_redist.x64.exe.
x86 works now, x64 version wants VCRUNTIME140_1.dll. What do I need to do?

Edit:
I have to install the newest versions of vc_redist.x86.exe and vc_redist.x64.exe (2015-2022).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/wi ... 9-and-2022

It works now, thank you very much.

Edit:
Perhaps I have to uninstall older versions, but I should only uninstall if needed. Other programs may need older versions.
Such as PractRand, it needs version 2013.

@ PaulSquires, thank you for the editor.
Hello,

You can install the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables under SandBoxie and copy the necessay DLLs to the WinFBE_Suite folder :

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/wi ... w=msvc-170

For WinFBE32.exe :

Code: Select all

vcruntime140.dl

msvcp140.dll
For WinFBE64.exe :

vcruntime140_1.dll
wallyg

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V3.0.0 May 24, 2022)

Post by wallyg »

After using the new editor, I found that the information displayed on the bottom status line about the current cursor location, ... has moved from the left side of the status bar to the right. The new item on the left now reports the current version to compile as (WIN64 GUI (debug)). After months of development, I know this information very very well and do not really need to see or know this often.

Previously it was very convenient when the cursor location was on the left of the status bar. Looking down from the buffer I was editing and seeing the information when needed and then back to the current position in the editing buffer was an easy and quick eye movement. Now it is a very tiring long eye movement and a lot more work to reposition my eye to where it was before and seems to cause a lot more eye strain and after many hours of edition can cause headaches. I use a very large TV as a monitor (and according to my eye doctor, I sit too close to the screen) and it is over 30 inches away from where the current cursor is most times.

Any chance you could flip the items in the status bar around?

Thank you for putting up with my (let us just call them) suggestions.
Wally
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

Hi Wally, no problem at all my friend. I have made the changes and posted the details over on the planetsquires forum at https://www.planetsquires.com/protect/f ... pic=4609.0

I am hoping that the statusbar panel flips do not upset other users. :D

The download contains several other fixes for bugs that were identified in the original 3.0.0 release. I will eventually do a full 3.0.1 release but in the meantime this download should help those users that use WinFBE every day.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Hi Wally

I don't know what issues you have with your eyesight, but if you use SetCompilerSwitchesII.exe you may not be aware that you can have the form displayed with a larger font size.

Go to the Tools folder and rename SetCompilerSwitchesII.exe to SetCompilerSwitchesIIL.exe; that is, insert 'L' before the extension.

Go to 'User Tools' via Ctrl+F7 and do the same in the 'Command:' text box.

I am thinking of using it myself, as my eyes are not as good as they used to be.
wallyg

Post by wallyg »

Actually, after my cataract surgery in both eyes, I see better than ever before. It's not the type size that is the issue. It is the long distance from the cursor/start of a line of text where I want to be sure that the column I am going to type in is in the right column for those times when the next line in the column I want to use is too far to judge. I love to have different parts of code line up a lot more than just simple structure indention.

I use a leftover, from my RV travel days, 65" TV as a monitor. The distance to the lower right corner from the upper right where I might be typing when my face is 10-12 inches from the screen ( I know my eye doctor complains and yells at me for being so close ) could be 4 feet or more and requires significant head and eye movement to check the value and then the movement back to try and find where I want to type is the issue.

What is currently in the lower-left corner is not something that needs to be checked more than once at the beginning of a session and certainly could be at the right end without causing any problems to anyone. Whereas the cursor location is checked many times in a session and should be in an easily checked location.

On a personal note, I am an old-fashioned guy and miss the toolbar at the top. I liked clicking a button in the toolbar and never learned the keystroke patterns, nor really wish to learn the keyboard shortcuts. But I guess I am the one out of step with modern editors. I wish the toolbar was an option that allowed me to bind a button to a keyboard shortcut. 3M Post-It notes on the screen or around the screen work I guess??????

Thanks
Wally
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Here is a tip some of you may not have thought about re WinFBE 3.

With Paul's first beta, I was saving session files in the respective application folder in my FreeBASIC development folder.

I have now created a 'SessionFiles' folder in my FreeBASIC development folder. This has been pinned to 'Quick access' in the Open File Dialog and session files are saved there. So, I open WinFBE and click on 'File > Load Session…'. I then click on 'SessionFiles' in 'Quick access'. I am now looking at three session files and double-click on the one that I want, and they get loaded. Of course, some files may reside in folders apart from the application folder. It is now business as usual and any edited files get saved in the normal way.

Previously I was going up and down the application folder list, which is now quite long, spending more time than I will admit to.

I have looked at projects, but they are not for me – session files certainly are, especially now that they have their own folder. Some session files are simply a bas and a rc, but I am getting at them quickly.

Thanks, Paul. :)
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

Hi deltarho
If I copy member stw's new build into the toolchains folder, then try to use it, to test for bugs for example, I get invalid defined compiler path.
I have to isolate the folder inside the outside folder and rename fbc.exe to fbc32.exe
Same with testing code on older compilers, I have to make sure fbc.exe is renamed.
(This is because I can not choose a compiler from the ide Compiler setup, and I am limited to using toolchains of the correct type)
No fuss really, just a bit of juggling around.
Also I note I get
-v -s console -x
switches automatically.
What if I want a bare compile, or only switches of my choosing in the optional compiler switches box.
Can I do this within the ide?
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Hi dodicat

Using St_W's builds is a bit of a carry on. I'm lucky – my anonymous German friend is a master at builds. I got a zip the other day with fbc 1.10/gcc 13.0. I unzipped it, dropped it into WinFBE's toolchain folder and that was me done. :)
What if I want a bare compile, or only switches of my choosing in the optional compiler switches box.
Can I do this within the ide?

Are you referring to 'Additional compiler option switches (optional)' in Shift+F7 > Compiler Setup?

If so, wipe whatever is in there and type your own. The text within is reflected in Settings\WinFBE.ini. My SetCompilerSwitchesII.exe edits the ini file, but only if we click on 'Apply'.
hhr

Post by hhr »

File > Preferences > Environment Options > Enable Auto Indentation > Append loop variable to For/Next statement:

for i=1 to 2

next i=1

for i =1 to 2

next i
Note the blank space in the startvalue and the loop variable behind next.

I miss a function 'Auto indent' like in FBIde: View/Format/Auto indent
After a lot of copy and paste or cut and paste my program looks confused. Then 'Auto indent' is very helpful.

I like 'Keyboard Shortcuts'. Now I can swap Ctrl+Shift+F5 and F5.
adeyblue

Post by adeyblue »

deltarho[1859] wrote: Jun 01, 2022 12:55 my anonymous German friend is a master at builds
How is Mr JK these days?
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

hhr wrote: Jun 01, 2022 17:38 File > Preferences > Environment Options > Enable Auto Indentation > Append loop variable to For/Next statement:

for i=1 to 2

next i=1

for i =1 to 2

next i
Note the blank space in the startvalue and the loop variable behind next.

I miss a function 'Auto indent' like in FBIde: View/Format/Auto indent
After a lot of copy and paste or cut and paste my program looks confused. Then 'Auto indent' is very helpful.

I like 'Keyboard Shortcuts'. Now I can swap Ctrl+Shift+F5 and F5.
Thanks for the report. I have fixed the For/Next issue that you describe n your post. The fix is included in the latest patch download that you can get from this link: https://www.planetsquires.com/protect/f ... pic=4609.0
PaulSquires

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V3.0.1 June 6, 2022)

Post by PaulSquires »

(Original initial post updated)

WinFBE FreeBASIC Editor for Windows (Version 3.0.1)

Download:
https://github.com/PaulSquires/WinFBE/releases

Changes Version 3.0.1
Editor:
- "Save All" was not correctly adding the saved file to the Explorer list.
- When closing all files sometimes not positioning editor to a dirty file that needed to be saved.
- Enable/Disable "Highlight current line" editor option would not honor the theme color.
- Toggling a Bookmark by clicking in the Bookmark margin would not visually update the Bookmarks list in the Explorer window.
- Changed the statusbar positions for Line/Col and Build Configuration.
- When a visual design Form is active, pressing TAB character would insert the TAB character into the underlying code editor.
- Corrected "Append loop variable to For/Next statement" in cases where the variable did not immediately have a space character after it.

Visual Designer:
- Several items in the Designer top menu were not being enabled/disabled correctly.
- Possible that Form files would not have their dirty flag correctly maintained if AutoSave was active.
- Adding an image to a TabControl tab header could cause a GPF resulting in WinFBE to crash.
wallyg

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V3.0.1 June 6, 2022)

Post by wallyg »

I have downloaded the latest and greatest. Thank you for your wonderful project.

I have the following code

Select Case as Const This.buttonPosition
            case gui_widget_position.West
                put (aX,aY+sY),This.buttonImage,(0,0)-(imgWidth-1,imgHeight-1),Trans
                aX += imgWidth + __Button_Horizontal_Separation
                aW -= imgWidth + __Button_Horizontal_Separation
I then position the cursor after the last character of the "Select Case" statement and press ENTER. I get

Select Case as Const This.buttonPosition
                        case gui_widget_position.West
                put (aX,aY+sY),This.buttonImage,(0,0)-(imgWidth-1,imgHeight-1),Trans
                aX += imgWidth + __Button_Horizontal_Separation
                aW -= imgWidth + __Button_Horizontal_Separation
with the cursor set to type on the case line in the position where the "u" of the following line is positioned.

I do not think this is the correct behavior. I would have expected a new line to be placed after the "case" statement with the cursor positioned to type in the same column as the "p" of the subsequent put statement.

I use 4 column widths for my tabs if that makes any difference and use Fixedsys 11 as my font.

Wally
dmontaine

Post by dmontaine »

I have an all AMD laptop with a Ryzen 5 cpu and Vega 8 gpu. On a freshly loaded and updated Window 10 (64 bit) with the Microsoft supplied video drivers (from 2020), WinFBE crashed every time I attempted to open the editor, ether with File, File New or File, File Open. The solution was to install the recommended driver from the AMD site. After installing, there were no further problems with WinFBE.
wallyg

Post by wallyg »

Today, I started a new project using GLADE (GTK3) using the newest and greatest version. I have not done one in awhile.

CONST PROJ_NAME = "DBE" '                                                      >
CONST PROJ_DESC = "DBeditor" '                                                 >
CONST PROJ_VERS = "0.1" '                                                      >
CONST PROJ_YEAR = "2022" '                                                     >
CONST PROJ_AUTH = "Walter Gazdzik" '                                           >
CONST PROJ_MAIL = "DesertEdgeRR@gmail.com" '                                   >
CONST PROJ_WEBS = "" '                                                         >
CONST PROJ_LICE = "GNU General Public License v3" '                            >

#DEFINE __USE_GTK3__ '                            GTK-3 / GTK-3 Bibliothek >
    #INCLUDE "gtk\gtk3.bi" '                      GTK+library / GTK+ Bibliothek >
    #LibPath                        "C:\msys64\mingw64\lib"

gtk_init(@__FB_ARGC__, @__FB_ARGV__) '             start GKT / GTK starten >

#INCLUDE "tobac\DBE_tobac.bas" '                         Signale & GUI-XML >

gtk_builder_connect_signals(XML, 0) '                     Signale anbinden >
    gtk_widget_show_all(GTK_WIDGET(Main)) '            Hauptfenster darstellen >
    gtk_main() '                                     main loop / Hauptschleife >
    g_object_unref(XML) '                       dereference / Referenz abbauen >
This is a version of the code created by GladeToBac that has worked for at least 5 years.

The #Libpath is the same one I used last time than I got the following loader errors from the CRT routines in FBC 1.09

When I tried to copy the error messages from the loader output screen, WinFBE terminated abnormally without placing the selected area in the clipboard (I did a Copy from the menu). At least the loader screen tried to work. Nothing happened until I did a paste into this reply screen and that is when WinFBE aborts and nothing is pasted into this screen.

I cannot copy anything from the compiler output window. Nothing happens when I try to copy and the Copy command in the menu is greyed out.

Need to be able to copy from these windows for error reporting.

Toolchain reference for 1.09.0...\crt2.0: in function `__tmainCRTStartup`:
 and about 15 others like that all for different routines in crt2.0
I ran MSYS with Pacman -Syu three times and the third time it indicated everything is up to date as of today. Same errors both before and after MSYS update.

I tried the following adding the following #Includes at the beginning with no success

#Include    Once                "crt.bi"
#Include    Once                "crt\limits.bi"
#Include    Once                "crt\math.bi"
#Include    Once                "crt\String.bi"
#Include    Once                "String.bi"
#Include    Once                "dir.bi"
#Include    Once                "vbcompat.bi"
Any idea of why the FB version of CRT is causing these unknown references in the loader. The last time I use GTK was about a year ago and it worked with an older version of WinFBE and FBC. I have no idea what is happening. I assumed that my version of GTK 3.24 from MSYS was out of sync with the FBC version of the CRT routines? Hence the upgrade by MSYS. Any suggestions to get the loader to work would be greatly appreciated. Or maybe a different version of GTK 3.24 that works with 1.09. The MSYS version of GTK had worked for a number of years.

Thank you in advance.

Wally