WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V3.1.0 June 4, 2023)

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
PaulSquires

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V3.0.2 November 23, 2022)

Post by PaulSquires »

Download from here: https://github.com/PaulSquires/WinFBE/releases/

Version 3.0.2 (November 23, 2022)
Editor:
- Fixed bug where WinFBE 64-bit only would GPF if currently loaded file is edited by an external editor causing WinFBE to reload the file.
- Fixed bug where focus would be lost from the Find textbox as the user typed a search word and a corresponding match was found.
- Fixed bug where an invalid startup position for the editor would be saved if WinFBE closed while it is minimized to the Windows Taskbar.
- Added new internal code parser that creates codetips and autocomplete popups.
- Fixed GPF for WinFBE 64-bit that was caused by some leftover array code from cache system that was removed from earlier BETA.
- In-memory parser database not cleared when the same Project loaded multiple times resulting in duplicate entries in the Functions list.

Visual Designer:
- MAJOR FILE FORMAT CHANGE: Form data separated from code file and is now saved to external file with *.design file extension.
- Existing visual designer files are saved with a "*.backup-before-upgrade" file extension prior to the new file format upgrade in case something goes wrong and the user needs revert to the older file.
- When selecting a control from the toolbox and then just clicking on a form (not "drawing" it), it creates a control with a height and width of 0. There are now default sizes for all controls that may be created too small.
- When double-clicking an event in the toolbox, automatically enable that event, create the placeholder (if needed) and switch to that event in the code view.
- When double-clicking a control in design view, automatically switch to the code view for the default event handler for that control (e.g.: the _Click handler if it's a button).
- Listview was not clearing columns/rows when a form is reused (e.g. via popup form).
- Added Listview property (HeaderThemed) to enable/disable theme drawing for the header portion of the Listview.
- The ability to set the default control font name and size for all new controls created for a project, rather than always defaulting to Segoe UI 9pt.
- Added Button control property (AllowFocusRect) to enable/disable drawing the rectangle around the button when it has focus. Only valid if Theme property is False.
- Added Button control property (TextForeColorHot) to set text color when mouse hovers over the button. Only valid if Theme property is False.
- Added Control property (Anchor) which allows you to specify layout resize/movement at design time (uses the WinFBX CLayout class behind the scenes).
- Added Anchor property for Forms.
- Added ChildFormParent property for Forms.
- Added check to prevent duplicate code output into the resource file for images with the same path and filename as this would cause a compile error.
- Added code to ensure that when saving Form data it is output to the JSON design file prior to any Controls on the form, otherwise a GPF may occur when loading.
- Added code that will update or add to existing SELECT CASE event structures in generated code for MENUS, STATUSBARS, and TOOLBARS.
- Added TextBox and RichEdit control property (MaxLength).
- Fixed display of Frame control text background color in both the visual designer and code generation.
- Added Button control property (MultiLine).
- Replaced existing fbJSON parser with the cJSON "C" based parser (32 and 64 bit DLL's).
deltarho[1859]

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V3.0.2 November 23, 2022)

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Hi Paul

Thanks for 3.0.2

I use 'Quick Run' quite a lot for testing snippets. With 32-bit and 64-bit WinFBE 'Quick Run' now displays the 'Save As' dialog. If I click on 'Cancel' the code compiles and runs. :o

Added: On cancelling compiling a snippet, the 'Save As' dialog displays again.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Quite a few of you have read my prior post. I would rather not waste Paul's time if the problem is at my end. Can anyone confirm the issue mentioned?

Try a 'Quick Run' on this:

Code: Select all

Print "x"
Sleep
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

I downloaded the latest build.
For quick run it wants to save the file first.
Then cancel runs the file.
Previously it was automatic and afterwards files deleted, although, and I asked about it a dozen or so posts ago, I was left with a pile of TMPxxxx.bat files.
I never got an answer.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

Thanks for the report on Quick Run. I have uploaded a fix that should prevent that dialog from displaying for Quick Run file.

https://github.com/PaulSquires/WinFBE/releases

Version 3.0.3 (November 24, 2022)
Editor:
- Fixed bug whereby SaveAs dialog would appear for Quick Run files.

If there are any additional Quick Run problems then please let me know and I'll get a fix in place.
deltarho[1859]

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V3.0.3 November 24, 2022)

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Hi Paul

You are halfway there.
Paul wrote:- Fixed bug whereby SaveAs dialog would appear for Quick Run files.
Look at the added comment when I first brought the issue up. The comment was added not long after - perhaps you missed it.

On cancelling compiling a snippet that should be the end of the matter. However, a 'Save As' dialog pops up. If we cancel again, then that is the end of the matter.
dodicat

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V3.0.3 November 24, 2022)

Post by dodicat »

Paste a file to new file
save as something.bas
press compile, the save dialog comes up, but you already have it saved (something.bas), so cancel.
If there are say 5 other files up in the ide, then the dialog comes up five times as you cancel five times.
The quick run seems OK now though.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Dear oh dear.

Paul must be wondering what he has done to deserve this, especially after all the work he put into 3.0.2.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

I am beginning to use WinFBE more frequently these days.
My fbide sometimes freezes if I use search in the file open dialog. Could be my windows of course.
I am sure PaulSquires will fix these things, he fixed the quick run thing very quickly.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

Thanks gentlemen for the reports. I will work on an update patch ASAP. I need to do a lot more testing for editing code outside of "projects". Basically, all my WinFBE work is with projects to the neglect of other styles. That's why I missed the Quick Run issue. I'll get it all fixed.

As an aside, I went down the Linux programming rabbit hole over the past two weeks. I wrote a very nice and functional financial application using Qt framework with C++. A lot easier than I expected it to be, both using Qt and C++ itself, which I have dabbled in occasionally over the years. One thing that immediately struck me was the ease of use and implementation because everything I needed was either included in Qt or in the C++ Standard Library. I didn't have to invent my own vectors, hash, maps, JSON, etc... or rely on code from this forum. I know it's been said here many times over the years, but having core container algorithms built into FB would make it a lot more attractable to new users and those coming from other languages but I guess we need generics or templating in order to make it happen without having to resort to ugly and error prone macros.
jaskin

Post by jaskin »

PaulSquires wrote: Nov 24, 2022 18:39 I know it's been said here many times over the years, but having core container algorithms built into FB would make it a lot more attractable to new users and those coming from other languages but I guess we need generics or templating in order to make it happen without having to resort to ugly and error prone macros.
Also, something along the lines of the IMSL numeric libraries would be nice for FreeBasic for those who are deep into numeric analysis. There are IMSL libraries for Fortran, C, Python and Java. Not to worry, I'm past all that now. I sometimes look back to my younger days of my scientific career - it was fun and interesting but I'm too old for that now.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

Old age jaskin?
FB can use the gsl maths library, among others.
viewtopic.php?p=294671#p294671
I know that analysis in pure maths can easily be shelved away and forgotten about (unless you are still actively involved), but applied maths is always
a handy tool.
True enough, if you are retired, and want to get the maximum out of old age, who wants to invert a matrix?.
So I shall leave that question hanging, for the reason of not knowing the answer.
jaskin

Post by jaskin »

Did more than just inverting a matrix. Did PC, FFT, etc., on satellite and airborne acquired imagery. Don't really miss those days. Moved on to much more interesting pastures.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

PaulSquires wrote: Nov 23, 2022 12:27 Download from here: https://github.com/PaulSquires/WinFBE/releases/

Paul, thank-you for your continued support of FreeBASIC project with the WinFBE project. I try to build major contributor's projects from time to time, but I also know that some changes coming upstream from FreeBASIC affect users and contributors like yourself. Just want to say thank-you for sticking with us. FreeBASIC developers and users appreciate you giving up your free time time.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

coderJeff wrote: Nov 25, 2022 13:56
PaulSquires wrote: Nov 23, 2022 12:27 Download from here: https://github.com/PaulSquires/WinFBE/releases/

Paul, thank-you for your continued support of FreeBASIC project with the WinFBE project. I try to build major contributor's projects from time to time, but I also know that some changes coming upstream from FreeBASIC affect users and contributors like yourself. Just want to say thank-you for sticking with us. FreeBASIC developers and users appreciate you giving up your free time time.
Thanks coderJeff for the kind words but we are the ones who should be commending you and the rest of the FB team for the tremendous amount of time and effort that you have all dedicated to the FB project. I am sure that you don't hear often enough but your efforts into driving FB forward never goes unnoticed. Well done my fellow Canadian! :-)