my best effort

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
paul doe

Re: my best effort

Post by paul doe »

fxm wrote:@paul doe,
About your "FreeBasic Excercises: 1 - Procedures and Arrays" post at FbCadCam Forum:
Maybe also specify the dimension of the arrays (I suppose the same for both equal to 1) and their datatype.
Indeed, one dimensional arrays. The data type is immaterial but I suppose that they'll want to start with integers. Both the requirements and the constraints were left purposely ambiguous, to allow them to consider these kind of things.
badidea

Post by badidea »

paul doe wrote:Ok Owen, I posted my little Pong implementation at your forum, so tell me what you think. I'd be more than glad to explain any of the concepts involved, so feel free to ask me anything you wish. The code is heavily commented, but I can never be too sure if the comments are helpful or not =D
I just tried your pong game on my linux laptop. I seems to work, but the ball goes as fast as a rocket. Also starts with a very nervous flashing "Get Ready".
Changing line 1045 to sleep( 15, 1 ) makes it playable here.
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

badidea wrote:I just tried your pong game on my linux laptop. I seems to work, but the ball goes as fast as a rocket. Also starts with a very nervous flashing "Get Ready".
Changing line 1045 to sleep( 15, 1 ) makes it playable here.
Precisely. There's nothing in the way of timing implemented. This is on purpose, to have an issue to solve. So far, there has been no comments there on this respect, so it may take a while for them to realize this. But now you have spoiled it =D
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

@Everybody: please refrain from posting an implementation of the excercise proposed here, at least until they publish an attempt (working or not, doesn't matter). Remember that they are new to programming, not just FreeBasic. So, it may take some time for them to pick the basics up. That's why I didn't published one: to allow them to experiment and think on their own. Thank you for your cooperation =D
dafhi

Post by dafhi »

imo you should just show them something.

acorns
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

dafhi wrote:imo you should just show them something.
Why?
dafhi

Post by dafhi »

theory vs. practice. are they frozen or are they moving? (dont say yes :P)
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

dafhi wrote:theory vs. practice. are they frozen or are they moving? (dont say yes :P)
It's not a question of 'theory vs practice', it's more like 'thinking on their own vs spoon feeding': theory without practice is useless, and practice without theory is cargo culting. The key is to find a balance, as always =D
owen

Post by owen »

I purchased FbCadCam's first CNC machine. I will be taking it with me when I go to the Philippines last week of January through first week of February.
https://youtu.be/gtJ5Z3phDhs
owen

Post by owen »

The idea of this project is that they will learn how to program in freeBASIC. I am trying to give them every possible opportunity to learn.
The FB CAD project is just one of many mechanisms with the intent of inspiring creativity. In my mind I think it is helpful to be creative. Creativity is a component of learning...
I am not so concerned about the correctness of their code as much as I am about them in learning how to code period.
Because I too am still learning, we (team FbCadCam) look forward to learning from the best. Thank you freeBASIC.
grindstone

Post by grindstone »

owen wrote:I purchased FbCadCam's first CNC machine. I will be taking it with me when I go to the Philippines last week of January through first week of February.
https://youtu.be/gtJ5Z3phDhs
Great!
owen

Post by owen »

It's been awhile since I have updated this community with what's going on in the Philippines. They are taking things in stride if you will. They mentioned in a recent post on there Facebook page that some of the new programmers are curious to know what this is all about. So I replied with a message to them. Hopefully this message will convey my intentions a little bit better to them and to you guys as well. Here is the message I sent them:

FbCadCam (a very basic CAD program) was created in a programming language called freeBASIC. The software was originally developed back in 2007. At that time it was called FBCAD but later called fbcadcam because the domain name fbcad dot com was not available however fbcadcam dot com, org and net we're all available and since CAM functionality was one of my interest it was a perfect domain name to use.
As time went on I kept on adding cool features to the program and eventually gave it a facelift by using GTK3 for the gui ( graphical user interface).
Being the sole developer of the software and not really having any more time to pursue it, I decided to donate it to the freebasic.net community. The idea was that I would keep the domain names available along with all of the files on the servers for as long as I could afford and that I would leave it up to the community to maintain it long after I am gone. A few people volunteered to maintain it and one person was selected. Later on I decided to do something different with it and donate it to my family in the Philippines. Rather than just donating it to them I figured why not try to make a company out of it some sort of business if you will. It was at that time that I thought wow wouldn't this be great if through this project as a business we could Inspire others to be creative thinkers and further promote the free open source compiler called FreeBASIC.
But even more important to me then a mere hobby is the idea of honoring God. In Proverbs chapter 3 God says in all your ways acknowledge in him and he will make your paths straight for his glory. Because I acknowledge God because I am a Christian a follower of Jesus Christ because I love God. I love God because he loves me. I love God because he is love. So I want FbCadCam Philippines ( you guys ) to love. I want you to love God and I want you to love one another. Out of everything you will learn and do keep God in the center. You will learn many things some quite technical but the greatest thing any of us can learn in life is to love and this is the measurement in which I gauge your success.
Success for a business is usually about money. But I say it's much more than just that it's about friendship camaraderie. I have learned many things in my life and regarding business those that I admire most are companies that are able to identify what the idea that it is the people who run and work in the company that make the company successful. I am just the investor of your venture but I am not the dictator of your success. I give you the freedom to define what FbCadCam Philippines will eventually become. And I have a strong belief that you all will be quite successful. We are just beginning this Great Adventure. And I am here to inspire you to be creative to think outside of the box to think for yourselves. You see I believe that by giving you this freedom then you will not be limited to just my ideas rather you are able to pursue your ideas which could possibly be what makes the difference for this unique project. You are the project of yourselves. I am here to help you along the way. and as you know there are other people willing to help as well such as Paul Doe and FXM. So while there is still time, take advantage of our help. But you must realize that we are few and you are many. In other words with a little effort and time you guys will know more than me. you guys will eventually become a technical Center for the Philippines. I will try my best to share everything I know with you but the greatest thing I want you to know in your heart is love.
owen

Post by owen »

I thought to share with this community that last post because I find it to be fitting. Perhaps it would be better to say I find it to be an idea worth sharing.

freeBASIC has matured over the years through the effort of a few generous people ie. FB DEV in which their effort is so easily blemished via ugly controversy.

These blemishes if you will, are unnecessary and certainly do not pay tribute of any sort to their efforts.

I am just a simple fellow not one likely or even capable of contributing to the compiler itself. I am an uneducated person yet I am able to see the NOT light at the end of the tunne, that is of course if things continue on in such manner which I think need no explanation.

Rather than reprimanding I choose to provide constructive criticism. To inspire people to be better. And I hope the Philippines project will reflect that idea for your observation. In summary the Philippines project is my way of paying tribute to freeBASIC.
owen

Post by owen »

On a lighter note: I like beer. I encourage self lubrication with such liquids and to (keep it cool) if and when possible.
owen

Post by owen »

Now on to the beef (heart) of the matter:
Are they learning how to program in FreeBASIC?

Well yes and no.
No, because they have a long way to go.
Yes, because they are almost at that Tipping Point.

UC to me the idea of learning how to program starts off at a Tipping Point. They are very very close ... And very soon they will be self-propelled.