my best effort

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
owen

Re: my best effort

Post by owen »

I second that in fact when I was trying to implement GTK for fbcad I had two choices:
Refer to any documentation I could find anywhere about it or simply read the headers.
Just because I was able to make use of of the headers in this manner didn't mean at the time I knew exactly how things work but because of this discussion I'm finally able to start putting the pieces of the puzzle together.

I'm at that age where I'm putting together my bucket list one thing I want to do still is go to the moon and the other is learn how to program.

My method of initial travel to the Moon is via catapult inspired by the Great Pumpkin catapult contest and my method of learning how to program is to ask questions that I don't even know I should be asking.
fxm

Post by fxm »

At FbCadCam open source software by Owen Reese / Board index / FbCadCam / Daily progress, owen wrote:
The greatest resource available currently for learning the freeBASIC programming language is the freebasic.net Forum.
https://www.freebasic.net/forum/

And the most complete and up-to-date list and description of the available freeBASIC commands are online at:
https://www.freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=DocToc
And the list of bug reports on freeBASIC is online at:
https://sourceforge.net/p/fbc/bugs/
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

owen wrote: ...
My method of initial travel to the Moon is via catapult inspired by the Great Pumpkin catapult contest and my method of learning how to program is to ask questions that I don't even know I should be asking.
Done in march 2011
However, the Moon was not the destination.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17303&p=151853&hili ... 2A#p151853
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

owen wrote:...
Quite amusing, indeed =D

Ok Owen, I posted my little Pong implementation at your forum, so tell me what you think. I'd be more than glad to explain any of the concepts involved, so feel free to ask me anything you wish. The code is heavily commented, but I can never be too sure if the comments are helpful or not =D
owen

Post by owen »

Thank you Paul. They are making a list of all of the commands used in your example. 90 percent of which they are unfamiliar with. So this will first serve as a way for them (and myself) to learn about some of the commands in freeBASIC. Your example makes it possible for them to see how code can be written and commented for the benefit of others.

Thank you dodicat your cube is awesome. I hope to discuss your code with them in the near future.
fxm

Post by fxm »

I guess you have and will code in the "-lang fb" (the default dialect), and not in "lang fblite" or "-lang qb".
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

owen wrote:Thank you Paul. They are making a list of all of the commands used in your example. 90 percent of which they are unfamiliar with.
You're welcome. Mmm, perhaps I exposed too much, too soon. To me this looks like '2+2', so it's very hard for me to judge how much is too much, you see. Thanks for taking the trouble of making the list, I'll see if I address it.
owen wrote:So this will first serve as a way for them (and myself) to learn about some of the commands in freeBASIC. Your example makes it possible for them to see how code can be written and commented for the benefit of others.
You know, coding isn't so much about how many keywords you know, or how fast can you make your code run; it's about finding the simplest harmony between the language and your ideas. By this definition, coding has more in common with poetry than science =D
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

fxm wrote:I guess you have and will code in the "-lang fb" (the default dialect), and not in "lang fblite" or "-lang qb".
Yes, of course. Why?
fxm

Post by fxm »

It's a question for owen.
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

fxm wrote:It's a question for owen.
Oww, sorry XD
fxm

Post by fxm »

About the scope of a variable, there are bugs to access different variables with duplicate names.
These bugs, I think, are not close to being solved:
#645 Access to global duplicated symbol is captured by local symbol
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

fxm wrote:About the scope of a variable, there are bugs to access different variables with duplicate names.
These bugs, I think, are not close to being solved:
#645 Access to global duplicated symbol is captured by local symbol
Mmm, that's good to know, thanks. I'll update the post there to link to this bug to avoid some grief =D
owen

Post by owen »

fxm
Yes just fb not lite or qb

paul
Yes it is beyond them for now but not too much for them because I'm giving them a year to get it figured out.

I'm trying to get them into auto mode.
Ie self-initiated investigation of freeBASIC.

So it's good to throw them a list of commands to start off with. We will see how it goes and I'll try to keep you guys posted but I might have to take a little bit of a break cuz this is kind of affecting me driving a truck over the road and all I have to spend a little bit more time getting some rest.
owen

Post by owen »

10-4 on scope.
They don't know what scope is yet but I will explain to them in time.

I have been working with them every chance I get sometimes 7 hours a day while I work my 14 hours schedule.

Today started off slow because we had a hard time getting connected on Skype.
owen

Post by owen »

Got it local x gets its value from outside scope