looking for partner(s) to geme-dev together

Game development specific discussions.
paul doe

Re: looking for partner(s) to geme-dev together

Post by paul doe »

BasicCoder2 wrote:...
raylib-3.5.0_win64_msvc16.zip
This one (for 64-bit). The one compiled with mingw-w64 seems to have some troubles (I couldn't get it to work here). I hadn't had any troubles with the win32 mingw-w64 binaries, though.
Last edited by paul doe on Jan 23, 2021 1:37, edited 1 time in total.
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

@BasicCoder2,

depends whether you are using FBC 32 or FBC 64:

Either: raylib-3.5.0_win64_mingw-w64.zip (64 bit)
Or: raylib-3.5.0_win32_mingw-w64.zip (32 bit)

Never any MSVC (Microsoft Visual C/C++) not GCC compatible.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

Error after error!

2d.exe - System Error
(x) The code execution cannot proceed because libwinpthread-1.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.

This was why 11 years ago I dropped C++ in favour of FreeBASIC and its innate graphic commands! I could not figure out how to get a graphics library to work with or link with my C++ source code.

Inside the raylib-3.4.0_win32_mingw-w64 folder I find,
include folder with
raylib.h
lib folder with,
libraylib.a
libraylibdll.a
raylib.dll

Unable to do anything with the first two items in the lib folder.
Double tap brings up a BreeZip app with "Unsupported archive file or corrupted archive file."

The raylib.dll I copied to the examples folder.
Last edited by BasicCoder2 on Jan 23, 2021 7:42, edited 1 time in total.
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

BasicCoder2 wrote:...
This was why 11 years ago I dropped C++ in favour of FreeBASIC and its innate graphic commands! I could not figure out how to blah blah blah...
Yeah yeah we know. The headers you're using are for an older version of raylib (2.5), and you most likely had the misfortune to grab one of the binaries that give troubles to some of us. Use the one I mentioned above (I have tested it, and so did others, with no problems).

https://github.com/glasyalabolas/fb-raylib

The raylib 3.5 headers, along with some examples. Just drop the appropriate dll in the /examples folder and you're set. I'll be adding more examples as I port them.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

deleted
Last edited by BasicCoder2 on Jan 23, 2021 23:15, edited 2 times in total.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

.deleted
Last edited by BasicCoder2 on Jan 23, 2021 7:47, edited 1 time in total.
ron77

Post by ron77 »

excuse me ladies and gentlemans... now that we are all have raylib set up... does any one looking to game dev together?
Last edited by ron77 on Jan 24, 2021 13:41, edited 1 time in total.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

Sorry ron77 I should have started a new thread on how to setup raylib with FreeBASIC. So have you got anymore feedback from the others ( xywhsoft, grindstone, bluatigro, mrToad, ) as to next step in developing a game together?

I would imagine working as a team requires a common goal, common coding style and common set of tools (such as the libraries used)?

You can get some idea of my level by looking at some of my posted code on game demos.
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

ron77 wrote:excuse me gentlemans... now that we are all have raylib set up... does any one looking to game dev together?
Although I don't wish to admit it, I probably cannot contribute a lot, except perhaps some custom-made sound effects, and possibly art / photo references for inspiration. Maybe some suggestions on game engine code as well. I already have a game in development and barely have time to work on it. I have other interests (view my profile "Interests") and also a wife and daughter to put first in my life. Still, I will provide a little help if I can.

First I would suggest keeping the game very simple, but it can still be fun if done creatively and with good story / characters.

I just remembered one little game engine I started years ago you could use / remake. It's a first-person 2D game, I forgot the name of those, but many of this type have been made. You walk around from scene to scene. You could take the idea in any direction. I never developed it much, the last time I touched it was 2014, and the graphics are not good, but here's a screenshot:

I can give you the code but it no doubt needs a mature rewrite.
ron77

Post by ron77 »

Here is an idea for a game:
A game about searching for love – that is the game is a fictional dating site that the player is supposed to try and find the right spouse… the player first must build his/her dating profile – what is he/she looking for and provide info about his/her dislikes/likes then the player has to search through a fictional profiles of possible matches then he or she has to try and set a date with one of them then there is the actual date simulation after words there is an assessment and the player gets score according to his/her success or failure at the date – the score he or she gets affects the successfulness ratio of him/her finding true love and the perfect spouse…

The game can be done with simple 2d graphics and basic free music samples…

What do you think about this idea?

ron77
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

Err...
ron77 wrote
"excuse me gentlemans... now that we are all have raylib set up... does any one looking to game dev together?"

How do you know that all the volunteers coders are male in this proposed mixed gender mating game?
grindstone

Post by grindstone »

ron77 wrote:Here is an idea for a game:
A game about searching for love – that is the game is a fictional dating site...What do you think about this idea?
The developing of the profile generator (I don't suppose you want to write all profiles by hand) could bring a lot of fun. Furthermore we would need an ELIZA - like chat generator.
ron77

Post by ron77 »

hi grindstone.
i have a working ELIZA chatbot generator code in FB as UDT with text file as database for replies and keywords... i've used it a couple of times in my text-games... the dating-sim idea for a game is not original yet there are non written in FB and we could have some fun with it like make fun of it as a comedy or parody over the dating subject in general...

it's just an idea i thought of and it's not original - being original is hard when just about everything you think of has already been done...

here is another idea for a game - a game called "the guru" where the player plays a man/woman that decides to fake it and pretend he/she is a new age spiritual guide and "guru-new-age-cult-sim" where the player suppose to gather followers invent mind-controlling meditations and basically build a cult around him/her and build an ashram somewhere so he can gain wealth and money and power - this is a time or turn based game after say 10 years the game ends and you get a score... this is purely a parody over new age...

ron77
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

ron77 wrote:...
it's just an idea i thought of and it's not original - being original is hard when just about everything you think of has already been done...
The solution for this is simple, but as hard as coming with a new idea: be original on the execution, not just the idea.

About the other idea: I would be very wary of using 'sensitive' topics as premises (such as religion/cults). Just a heads-up.

This page I find very interesting to come up with ideas for mechanics and/or concepts:

https://www.squidi.net/three/
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

paul doe wrote:
ron77 wrote:...
The solution for this is simple, but as hard as coming with a new idea: be original on the execution, not just the idea.
Absolutely. An idea unthought of makes no big difference in itself. Although you probably want to avoid annoying cliches (such as saving the damsel in distress from her castle window [but hey you never know]), even old ideas can be wonderful if done with your own perspective and originality. Remember, every human is a human, but are we bored of each other because of that? We are completely unique. Games made on the same themes are not boring if done with the originality and authenticity of the creator.

For a dating game to be fun, in my opinion, stay away from AI. When you try to simulate something like a human being, which is infinitely complex, it's going to come off unrealistic. Rather, good writing, and plenty of optional decisions and story paths, will bring characters to life and still give you freedom of choice. That requires time and good writing, but it will beat time and good AI programming in the end. I've played with those AI girls and, while fascinating, are hardly convincing. People have written and read novels for thousands of years for the fact that a human is the best person to imagine a character, not a computer - not even the most intelligently developed AI chatbot is anywhere near as real (or endearing when speaking of romance) as a vividly developed character in story.