Observations.

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Lost Zergling

Re: Observations.

Post by Lost Zergling »

First of all: Paul Doe is a moderator, so it is normal and legitimate that Jeff assumes to defend the position of solidarity which can only be that of moderation. I support this position.
This being posed and beyond a criticism of the work of the moderators, I have some reservations of a general nature which I would like to express in a personal capacity for the future, in several points.
1) The intervention of the moderator should not be that of a prosecutor or a judge but rather that of a facilitator to prevent problems. However, that's not the impression that came out, and the proof of this is the fact that at some point, St_w had to justify himself for not being involved. The unpleasant impression or doubt after the fact that a procedure was at work, completely contradictory to my sense of the spirit in which moderation should take place.
2) The intervention of the moderator must not be ambiguous: when the moderator gets involved in a discussion, he should clearly specify whether this involvement is in his personal capacity or within the framework of his role as moderator. Imortis is exemplary in this regard.
3) When a moderator is involved in a discussion, it would seem desirable, except in an absolute emergency, that the possible definitive ban be effectively operated and assumed upstream at least by another moderator, because this involvement then makes him suspect with respect to the forum users.
4) I fully understand the need not to "pollute" FB by "promoting" other languages, however, I also fear the consequences of too much "technical doxa", and I would give two examples: the bug of deallocation on the arrays of strings was only detected late (by fxm), but in fact, the guardian of the doxa memory was Mr Swiss (see the exchanges around lzle and beyond), and there was no question to criticize FB. The "technical doxa", although necessary and desirable, also puts blinders on us, and criticism and questioning are pillars of science. I even believe that MrSwiss, at one point, thought in all good faith that he was extremely qualified himself for the role of moderator,...
Similarly, in the "New Array features" thread, codes were presented, sometimes closer to c or other languages, and this did not give rise to controversy.
5) I end on the point which is perhaps the most important (already mentioned): user information. We are not that many and when a regular and recognized user is banned, and more particularly long or permanent, it seems useful to inform users, at least out of respect.

Here is. I think the zerg is a bit calmer now. I am very attached to the people present, I am very attached to our small virtual community, so I would like to apologize to those whom I could have, by this post, offended by ignorance, as well as to the moderators doing their best with no doubt.
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

You have made some very good points. I do want to respond to one that I disagree with:
Lost Zergling wrote: Feb 25, 2022 12:09 ...
4) I fully understand the need not to "pollute" FB by "promoting" other languages, however, I also fear the consequences of too much "technical doxa", and I would give two examples: the bug of deallocation on the arrays of strings was only detected late (by fxm), but in fact, the guardian of the doxa memory was Mr Swiss (see the exchanges around lzle and beyond), and there was no question to criticize FB. The "technical doxa", although necessary and desirable, also puts blinders on us, and criticism and questioning are pillars of science. I even believe that MrSwiss, at one point, thought in all good faith that he was extremely qualified himself for the role of moderator,...
Similarly, in the "New Array features" thread, codes were presented, sometimes closer to c or other languages, and this did not give rise to controversy.
The examples you give are not a good match for this situation. I hope that we, as moderators, have shown that we welcome criticism of the language and even the moderation team itself (we have not closed this thread for a reason).

Pointing out bugs, requesting features, and suggesting improvements are all welcome topics. Intention, method and most importantly attitude are things that need to be taken into account here.

When you say "this is bad and you should change it to the way I like it", repeatedly and at every possible opportunity, you're no longer being productive. You're acting like a child having a temper tantrum.
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

I see. You re right.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

dodicat wrote: Feb 24, 2022 11:33 It all started for me here coderjeff, at the top of the page.
viewtopic.php?p=256269&hilit=%2Anew%2A+ ... or#p256269
I can accept that that you felt that way even though I don't understand why. My apologies. I am thankful that you chose to give up your free time, answering questions and offering help; especially guiding new users learning to program.